Any Waldorf Teachers Out There? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-08-2004, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi:

I'm thinking about a career change to teaching. I'm very attracted to both Waldorf and Montessori methods... but am leaning more towards Waldorf. I know there's a school in NH which offers Waldorf Teacher Training... and I think there's one in California as well. My understanding is that in some schools teachers teach the same group of students from K through 8th grade, and in other schools, each grade has appropriate teachers. Anyway... do you have any advice for somebody considering that career path??

Thanks,
Karla

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#2 of 3 Old 12-08-2004, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Hi Karla,

I'm definitely not a waldorf teacher, but I do know a lot about the teacher training programs in the U.S. I meet with representatives of seven of them every fall.

Antioch New England has a program in New Hampshire, Sunbridge College is in New York in a town called Spring Valley. Rudolf Steiner Centre is in Toronto. Rudolf Steiner College is in Fair Oaks, CA, near Sacramento and Arcturus is in Chicago. There is one in the Detroit area, but I'm not sure they are taking new students: Waldorf Institute of the Great Lakes. The last one is the Association for a Healing Education and they have a specialized program concentrating on remedial work. There are a number of smaller programs scattered around the country. I think you can get a list from the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA) web-site: http://www.awsna.org/index.html

http://www.awsna.org/education-teachers.html is the page specifically for people interested in becoming waldorf teachers.

All of the programs I mentioned have web-sites and you can probably find them easily enough.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Nana
#3 of 3 Old 12-11-2004, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sunbridge College is in Spring Valley (Rockland), tucked up next to Montvale NJ. Their website is www.sunbridge.edu, but you could go visit there pretty easily to learn about the programs.

Best, David

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page