Info on Waldorf Playgroups - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-08-2005, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI Im very interested in Waldorf we already follow some ideals. My MIL who resides outta state is into it as her bestfriend is a waldorf teacher. Im interested in starting a waldorf type playgroup however what is involved> what do you all do that attend them ( different from a regular playgroup) i eventually want to gather others to start a small school when Kai ( 15 months ) is older

michele
#2 of 7 Old 02-09-2005, 10:31 AM

Hi, I have never actually started a Waldorf playgroup but if I was going to, I would go to the Waldorf Homeschoolers website and see if they have any articles on this. Once you have some idea of what you want to do, I would post notices on boards at organic grocery stores and health stores. Another thing to try, is see if there is an Anthroposophical group in your area. There may be playgroups out there that you don't know about.

I think the playgroups range from informal playgroups of like minded parents to actual parent-tot classes led by a trained teacher. Things you could do is bake bread together - kneading dough is great for kids. Garden together, tell stories together, support each other in your choices in parenting. Celebrate the seasons together.

Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 02-10-2005, 11:13 PM

Hi, my 2 year old twin girls and I attend a Waldorf-inspired playgroup. The playgroup runs for 6 weeks - 1 day a week for 2 hours.

Here's what we do:
  1. Free Play Time - the children play while the parents chat or work on a craft that the leader has set up
  2. Circle Time - the leader starts a ring/circle song and we all gather around in a circle. Then we all do 6-8 songs, little finger games, etc. The same ones each week so the children learn the songs and movements. At the end we sing a "go out and play" song.
  3. Outdoor Play Time - the children play outside and then all wash their hands....we sing a "wash hands" song. They sit at an outdoor picnic table and have a snack the leader has prepared
  4. Story Time - the leader sings a song that tells them it's time to come in for story. She has a little table set up with dolls and accessories for telling a story. She tells the same story each week. Then sings a "goodbye" song at the end of the story

I have been to other "natural mama" playgroups and really enjoyed those when the girls were younger and I mostly needed the connection to other moms. Now that the girls are a little older, I have ABSOLUTELY LOVED this playgroup. It is more structured and the girls really enjoy learning the songs and participating in group activities more. It is just a nice thing to do with them.

The playgroup runs for a 6 week session and the songs/circle time usually involves songs that go along with the season. For example, right now, all of our songs are about winter, cold weather, etc. The next session we may sing more spring type songs.

The leader charges $50 per 6 week session.

If you don't have a Waldorf school nearby that trains playgroup leaders, you might just want to get some Waldorf-type books and find some things you think would be fun to do with the group. If you are looking for songs, I would highly recommend the CD Come Follow Me. It has a lot of traditional Waldorf songs and it follows a seasonal timeline.

Good Luck in forming a group!

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#4 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
For finger songs/games, if you don't have a good source of these, try your public library. I know there are some good books with pictures of the hand movements and so on.

There is a lady who has done a whole series of musical CDs combined with books for parents to share with their children. Her name is Mary Schuneman and she is in Wisconsin, but I can't remember the name of her company. Darn! I told her to start advertising on the Mothering Boards, but I don't think she followed my advice.

I'll dig it up next time at my daughter's house and add it to this thread.
Nana
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 03:30 PM

Mary Schuneman's Songbooks & CD's - Naturally You Can Sing

You can buy them from her directly at naturallyyoucansing.com -or- buy them from a website that carries them.

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2005, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octobersweethearts
Mary Schuneman's Songbooks & CD's - Naturally You Can Sing

You can buy them from her directly at naturallyyoucansing.com -or- buy them from a website that carries them.
Thanks octobersweethearts! This is a very efficient network.
Nana
#7 of 7 Old 02-13-2005, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

HI everyone thanks for the great input

BTW we have the Naturally You can sing set I bougtht them for DH as a gift for a holiday.. he loves singing with Kai too.... i love the books and cds are great

however the CD come follow me ( i think thats what Deb or someone recommended sounds great.. now im gonna have to purchase one )

Michele

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page