Is astrology a part of the Waldorf philosophy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious. I noticed that the waldorf school application form asks for my child's city of birth. I'm trying to figure out how that's pertinant info for an application form, and the only reason i could think of is that the teachers might want to plot a birth chart. They didnt ask for time of birth, but you can get a fairly accurate chart without it.

Or maybe there's some other reason that i'm just not seeing?

heartbeat.gif

#2 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss
I'm just curious. I noticed that the waldorf school application form asks for my child's city of birth. I'm trying to figure out how that's pertinant info for an application form, and the only reason i could think of is that the teachers might want to plot a birth chart. They didnt ask for time of birth, but you can get a fairly accurate chart without it.

Or maybe there's some other reason that i'm just not seeing?
Hi Moss,

I'm sure they are not planning to do an astrological chart for your child. Can't think why the city of birth would be wanted though. Why don't you ask about it?

There is some astrological stuff that might come up in the curriculum, but that would have more to do with history than current stuff. For example the ancient Sumerians and Mesopotamians were really big on astrology, so stories about these peoples would probably mention stars and the zodiac.

Finally, there are some anthroposophists (students of anthroposophy, the philosophy founded by Rudolf Steiner that is connected to waldorf education) that developed a new approach to astrology called astrosophy. Even in anthroposophical circles it isn't widely known or much used. I had my chart done once and it was interesting and quite different from the usual approach.

That is probably a lot more answer than you needed!
Nana
#3 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank~you, Deborah. I guess i should just ask them why they want to know the birthplace, that would undoubtedly be the most straightforward way of determining their intent. I'm glad i asked though, i had never heard of astrosophy.

heartbeat.gif

#4 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss
Thank~you, Deborah. I guess i should just ask them why they want to know the birthplace, that would undoubtedly be the most straightforward way of determining their intent. I'm glad i asked though, i had never heard of astrosophy.
I decided to see if I could find any info on it and I did. Here is a link to some books by Willi Sucher, who laid the foundations for a new approach to the connection between human beings and the stars. I think my aunt knew him...

http://www.waldorfbooks.com/anthro/astrosophy.htm

Nana
#5 of 8 Old 02-16-2005, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah
Hi Moss,

I'm sure they are not planning to do an astrological chart for your child. Can't think why the city of birth would be wanted though. Why don't you ask about it?

There is some astrological stuff that might come up in the curriculum, but that would have more to do with history than current stuff. For example the ancient Sumerians and Mesopotamians were really big on astrology, so stories about these peoples would probably mention stars and the zodiac.

Finally, there are some anthroposophists (students of anthroposophy, the philosophy founded by Rudolf Steiner that is connected to waldorf education) that developed a new approach to astrology called astrosophy. Even in anthroposophical circles it isn't widely known or much used. I had my chart done once and it was interesting and quite different from the usual approach.

That is probably a lot more answer than you needed!
Nana
It's a very common practice for Waldorf teachers to do an astrological chart on incoming students... one was done on our child as part of the admissions process for a Waldorf school here in So Cal... not sure if all do it or if they admit readily to it, but I asked if that's what it was for and the lead teacher said "it's a bit more complicated than that, but yes..."

Did they ask for details about your child's birth? I had a very traumatic labor/delivery followed by time in the NICU and I could tell this was a concern for them... course we're not enrolling there anyway, but it's not quite true to say anyone's SURE they're not doing a chart on her child... many schools do...
#6 of 8 Old 02-16-2005, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, middlearthmama~ that's so interesting!

i havent had an interview with them yet, and the application form didnt ask about details of my child's birth. i could see that info about labour, birth, etc would give an insight into a child's temperament .

heartbeat.gif

#7 of 8 Old 02-16-2005, 02:49 PM

Middleearthmama,

Fascinating. I've been involved with several waldorf schools and know many, many teachers and that is the first time I've heard of this.

Anyone else run into this? I wonder if it is just California...nuts and fruits...or whatever.

Nana
#8 of 8 Old 02-16-2005, 02:59 PM

We were asked about our child's birth but never about doing an astrological chart. Ds's teacher mentioned looking at Chinese Astrology to see if if she could gain any insight into the class made up of Earth Pigs and Fire Rats. Now this class is mostly Earth Pigs and they do seem to need more dirt experience than other classes in the school. They are really enjoying 3rd grade. The farming blocks have been a hoot. They love manure and soil. Dd's teacher hasn't said anything.

Some teachers are reading the Indigo and Crystal Children theories but I haven't heard anything about astrology.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page