Anthroposophy 101? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-16-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone can help me understand this philosophy/religion a bit more. I would love to have book recommendations...however with my 4 yo and 9 mo old I am not reading much right now....and I got a bunch of Waldorf parenting books in Nov I haven't really read through yet...

My son attends a Waldorf inspired preschool and will be entering their kindergarden next year

I am just really curious about this other part of Waldorf education....and am looking to take a bit of the easy way out with someone else explaining it to me if ya don't mind
#2 of 9 Old 02-16-2005, 04:34 PM

What I've gathered over the past few years is that it views children as intensely spiritual beings. For the first seven years, they are directly connected to the Divine, whatever that may mean to you.

By surrounding children with gentle songs, warm, soothing colors, natural play materials, and predictable rhythms to each day, it allows them to slowly unfold into the earthly realm around them with the least amount of trauma and disconnect.

One of the reasons they don't push math or reading before seven is because it interferes with the development of the "right brain" to its fullest potential. By introducing so much logic and earthly nonsense too early, you break the delicate bond children have with the divine, and imagination, and play, too early.

So that's in a nutshell, as it relates to the Waldorf education philosophy. That's my own interpretation, based on the things I've read and based on my own experience as an assistant at a homebased Waldorf preschool for the past couple years.
#3 of 9 Old 02-16-2005, 04:42 PM

ive just started wondering about it too, from a parenting point of view now and so far i can recomend a little book "beyond the rainbow bridge" there's a one page explination in the appendix that explains the basic jist of anthroposophy...i found it helpful anyway...
#4 of 9 Old 02-16-2005, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Hmmm...anthroposophy can be huge...but you want the basics.

Human beings are a bridge between the spiritual world and the physical world. Over many thousands of years humanity has gradually been descending deeper and deeper into the physical world and it is now time for a turn-around. Anthroposophy is one of many spiritual approaches to reawakening our spiritual capacities.

Why the descent? Complex, but one aspect is the development of individuality. Ancient peoples had a stronger link to the spiritual, but a limited sense of the self. As a child I liked fairy tales and mythology, but then I started feeling like something was missing. The way I described it was that the people in such stories didn't have an "inside."

So now we are individuals, but terribly isolated from each other and from the larger universe.

Among other things, anthroposophy offers a method of awakening spiritual perception. It is, in my opinion, a very safe path. Slow, however.

I've done some other posts with links to various aspects of anthroposophical work in the world. There are villages for children and adults with developmental disabilities, alternate banks, bio-dynamic agriculture, and a variety of other initiatives besides the waldorf schools.

Nana
#5 of 9 Old 02-18-2005, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks....I know some about the theories of child development...and I have enjoyed reading Beyond the Rainbow Bridge and other books in reference to children

Nana...I kinda thought that it was a huge question to ask...most spiritual philosophies can not be explained in a nutshell type of way ....I'm just feeling like I don't have the reading time I used to!!

I guess I need to read up on it on my ownthought anyway....do you have any recommendations? Do you think I could do a search on MDC and find some info? I have also been meaning to ask our teacher for some direction and maybe that would be the best place to begin.

There is just so much I relate to with the philosopihes regarding children that I thought it would be useful to understand anthroposophy in general.....I just have the hardest time reading Steiner's own writings....

so maybe someone could recommend a book that provides a general overview of the philosophy that is not written by him????
#6 of 9 Old 02-18-2005, 02:22 PM

http://www.steinerbooks.org/aboutrudolf.html

basic biographical info on Steiner

and here is an introductory book:
The Way of Anthroposophy
Answers to Modern Questions
Stewart C. Easton
ISBN: 0854404643
Book (Paperback)
Rudolf Steiner Press
$10.95
108 pages
January 1986

This title is in print and available from the site above.

Hope this helps a little.
Nana
#7 of 9 Old 02-21-2005, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nana...I really appreciate your knowledge and time
#8 of 9 Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Angel
Thanks Nana...I really appreciate your knowledge and time
My pleasure. As a librarian I enjoy looking things up and finding answers...

Nana
#9 of 9 Old 05-01-2005, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One book that was helpful, and isn't technically an anthroposophical primer, is the Incarnate Child. Which introduces parents to anthroposophy through the developing stages of their children, illustrating how as children grow they pass through the various evolutionary stages, briefly explaining the three-fold human being, and other anthroposophical goodies pertaining to raising children. A fairly easy read, it's just important to keep in mind that you can take what you need and leave the rest - it's written a bit in an 'all or nothing' tone, but it's still very useful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page