Mothering Forum banner

Swedish study of Waldorf HS pupils

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rhonwyn 
#1 ·
http://www.waldorfanswers.org/Swedis...Summary1-4.pdf

Sune Nordwall, who manages the waldorf answers site pointed me to this study. The summary is 15 pages long and I found it interesting reading. The scientists who compiled the study did find some negatives, so I don't think the study is a "whitewash."

Some excerpts:

page 3

Quote:
Waldorf schools seem to give a good preparation for higher education
The Waldorf teaching methods are felt to have contributed to good self-confidence and a good ability to acquire, digest and critically examine information and knowledge. In particular, the regular independent tasks (workbooks) seem to give them experience and self-confidence that are assets when it comes to autonomous thinking and written work in higher education.
page 9

Quote:
The Waldorf pupils to a greater extent suggested solutions that involved stopping or limiting Nazi and racist ideologies. This showed that the majority of the pupils in both types of school repudiated Nazism and racism. However, the proportion of pupils who suggested anti-Nazi and anti-racist solutions, i.e., solutions that involved counteracting or stopping Nazism and racism, was considerably greater amongst the Waldorf pupils.
page 10

Quote:
Fewer Waldorf pupils felt that they are bullied. The Waldorf pupils also felt to a lesser extent than the municipal pupils that they were bullied or unfairly treated. They also felt to a greater extent that teachers or other adults quickly intervened if a pupil was bullied.
page 10

Quote:
The Waldorf pupils had more tolerant attitudes to deviant groups in society. The Waldorf pupils in general had more open and tolerant attitudes towards homosexual pupils and pupils with learning difficulties...They also had more open and tolerant attitudes to both immigrants and religious and political extremist groups. Only with regard to their attitudes to criminals and Nazis/racists/skinheads was the relationship between the two response groups the opposite, i.e., the Waldorf pupils showed a less tolerant attitude than the municipal school pupils.
Nana

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.