Teach Cursive Writing at Home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-02-2005, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A child I nanny for attends public school (which I know is not working for him, but as I am not his parent there's not much I can do other than supplement with other materials). He is in 4th grade and has been asking me to teach him how to write in cursive. They haven't taught them in school because, according to the teacher, there "isn't time" due to the No Child Left Behind tests they must study for (great, huh?) I'm looking for some advice on teaching him to write cursive in a free, empowering way. How is it done in Waldorf schools?

Thanks!

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 01:06 PM

I'm not a waldorf teacher, but I found this link

http://www.waldorfbooks.com/edu/thr/...andwriting.htm

which lists books that may be helpful. Basically, form drawing (beginning in first grade) is central to the process of learning to write.

Good luck, David
#3 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 01:53 PM

Not teaching cursive in school by 4th grade! That is one of the most assinine things I have heard lately about public schools. I guess they expect everyone to print, which is way too slow, or have a computer available. Are they teaching typing instead?

I would look at canndw links as he has good ideas ususally. Good luck and it is really great that you are helping him where is school is failing.
#4 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice. No, they aren't teaching typing to the kids - supposedly there's not time to teach that, either. I'm not sure what they really are teaching them, other than how to ace those state tests.

Bicycle-ridin', craftin', bloggin' feminist future mama to my starbabies dum spiro spero
#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
One other thing that waldorf schools do to help improve handwriting: teach knitting in first grade. It develops great manual dexterity and concentration. I didn't learn how to knit until I was 9, when my aunt the waldorf handcraft teacher came to visit and taught two of us (brother 11, me 9) how to knit. My brother continued to knit well into his teens. Recently he added a yarn store to his bead business. Don't know if he has taken up knitting again. I never stopped. But I digress...

Nana
#6 of 6 Old 03-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Banned

Thank you, President Bush!

My DH is a teacher and I was a third grade teacher before becoming a SAHM. I can assure you most teachers don't appreciate that assinine, short-sighted bit of legislation...

But anyway, 3rd grade is usually when cursive is taught. Kids pick it up very quickly. You can buy cursive manuals in any teaching supply store or even some drugstores or WalMart. They show you which way to start the stroke. It's easy to teach and kids love it. Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page