Thinking of Waldorf PS but the $$$... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just need to talk out loud here for a moment and hope to get some input...

I'm thinking of enrolling dd in a Waldorf based pre-school nearby. I like the teacher and the space and have always been attracted to Waldorf philosophically. BUT, the cost is really high - though not as much as some I'm aware - $2250 for the year. Still that's alot of money for dh and i. Some other moms I know have told me good things about some of the other pre-schools in our area that are not waldorf, and half or less the price. I'm just wondering how important is pre-school? Obviously, I want dd someplace that feels safe and nurturing. But will she get that much more from a place specifically Waldorf vs. a non-Waldorf school? I hate to be so crass, but the money thing is a reality that we have to look at. I guess if I felt passionately about a school, we'd make it work - even if it ment borrowing money. But I guess I'm more on the fence about the whole thing. Any thoughts, ideas suggestions? Thanks in advance!
#2 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Hi there,
I would love to send my ds in the fall to a waldorf preschool here too. The school just increased the minimum attendance from 2 to 3 days and we can't afford it. We live in Southern California and wait, wait, don't be shocked, the tuition is $850 a month for 3X a week, 3 hours each day.

I know what you mean about wanting to do everything to be able to afford it if you're passionate about it. We have to forgo the whole Waldorf preschool thing because it's just too expensive and we don't have that kind of disposable income. It's so elitist and it stinks so bad

Just want to lyk that I know how you feel.
#3 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Wow (to the above CA poster)- that's more than I pay for a month of full time childcare at a Waldorf school- YIKES!! Who can afford that.
#4 of 9 Old 03-16-2005, 04:39 PM

As a Waldorf alum who is not sending my kid to Waldorf PS (because of cost as well as other factors), what was most important to me in choosing a preschool was the teacher. I am not all way into Montessori. I'm pretty neutral about it, actually. But ds is going to - and thriving in - a nearby Montessori school that I picked because I really liked what I saw when I visited. The teachers were experienced, they modeled calm, problem-solving, cooperative solutions to some kids who were having a problem over sharing. There is a lot of singing every day, wonderful songs from various cultures, stuff I learned way back in summer camp, Woodie Guthrie stuff. That was important to me. I just got a really good feel about the place, plus I talked to a bunch of other parents who had nothing but good to say about it. That's how I made my decision.

It sounds like Waldorf, wonderful as it is for ps, is out of your financial range. I'd visit some of the other schools in your area and see what you think. Good luck!
#5 of 9 Old 03-20-2005, 08:24 PM

It is not necessary to go to a Waldorf PS to go to a Waldorf Kindergarten. It helps if there is a really long list of children wanting to go to the Waldorf Kindergarten. I would pick a school that you are comfortable with and one that has a teacher you like. If you find one that is more play oriented that will be better for transition to a Waldorf Kindergarten but I have seen kids who went to very academic pre-schools do just fine at Waldorf Kindergarten.

Good luck! The costs are daunting and I don't think Steiner would be all that happy about how expensive his schools have become.
#6 of 9 Old 03-22-2005, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replys.... I guess I'm still on the fence here - I visited the non-Waldorf ps the other day, and while it seemed like a fun environment, and dd was very comfortable there and got right into playing while the teacher and I talked, it's a big class - 20 kids (w/2 teachers)! Dd is an only child, with limited social interaction up till just recently when she's started playing more with some of the neighbors. I just am thinking that being in a class w/that many kids could make her have less intimate contact with her classmates - not really socializing - as it's easier to play more by yourself in a big group than in a small group, where you really have individual contact w/everyone in the class. So, now I'm trying to figure out if we can do it financially. My cousin reminded me that it would only be for a short while - less than a year, and that is true..... oh well, I guess I'll figure this out somehow! I never imagined that I would agonize over something like pre-school!!! Sheesh! :LOL
#7 of 9 Old 03-23-2005, 03:23 AM

oh, it only gets better from here. :LOL i agonized over the preschool decision last year and now am agonizing over it again for kindergarten, which makes our waldorf preschool look cheap. fwiw, the waldorf preschool we chose was just perfect for my dd. i can't imagine her thriving anywhere else the way she has blossomed there. she was such a cautious kid and has really come into herself this year. it's making us think long and hard about waldorf for next year and beyond. i'm not saying it would be like that for every kid, it was just exactly what my dd needed and i feel we were really lucky to find it.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#8 of 9 Old 03-30-2005, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

So here's what I realized.... That if I figured out the hourly rate for ps at the Waldorf-based, it's about $5.50 an hour. That's almost half of what I'm paying for childcare! So, I guess while it's a big chunk at the first of the month, it all averages out....... And, the bottom line is, the money stuff will work itself out somehow - it always does. I just need for her to go somewhere that feels right.
#9 of 9 Old 03-30-2005, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph
So here's what I realized.... That if I figured out the hourly rate for ps at the Waldorf-based, it's about $5.50 an hour. That's almost half of what I'm paying for childcare! So, I guess while it's a big chunk at the first of the month, it all averages out....... And, the bottom line is, the money stuff will work itself out somehow - it always does. I just need for her to go somewhere that feels right.

Good luck! I hope it is everything you wish for! We spend a big chunk of change on Waldorf every month but I feel that it is money well spent when I see how much my children are growing into beautiful young people.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page