How to convince dh? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-26-2005, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sons have been in Steiner pre-school and kindergarten for nearly 4 years now. Next year my oldest is supposed to start grade school and my dh, who was never all that keen got cold feet when he saw the how much the cost will go up (nearly double). In theory we can ask for a reduction but when I looked at our budget I don't see how we can justify it (dh just earns too much ). However, things already feel tight this year.

Anyway, once we started talking about it he said all sorts of things like how he just wants our kids to be "normal" and go to a normal school and have a normal life...

He's one of those people who think the way they were brought up was just fine because after all he's OK.

Anyway, I've been convinced from the start and I really don't like the local school. Of course the extra money would be nice, but for me it's not an issue. I'm going to offer to get a job, but my youngest is only 18 months so I can't work that many hours (I'm a wahm not earning much money so I would have to abandon my business).

One of the things he doesn't like is that they don't do any "real" work, so I've found a couple of links describing what they do next year. I just don't know what else I can do.

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

#2 of 2 Old 04-26-2005, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Separate the two issues. Putting the money aside for the moment, you need to collect information on the actual program at the public school. What will they be covering, how quickly, is there a lot of pressure, when do they start computers and what do they do with them? Make a list of questions and call up the school and also chat with parents you know who have children in the public schools, including children in 4th or 5th grade. How are the children doing overall? Try to get a realistic picture.

Then do the same sort of research for the waldorf school. By 5th grade are the public school kids still ahead? And so on.

I don't have any brilliant suggestions for the finances, but I do feel it is a separate problem and it will be easier to come to a mutual decision if you talk over one thing at a time.

Good luck sorting this out.
Nana

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page