Help with DD's Waldorf doll! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-21-2005, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A bit of a crisis around here. DD got a Waldorf doll around her first b-day, needless to say it cost some $$. But it was definitely worth it -- Buddy is her best friend and baby, he goes where she goes and they have a heck of a time together. The issue is that Buddy is getting really dirty and might I add here gross. This past week, he got a bath in vinegar! So we have a very dirty, vinegar-smelling Waldorf doll who should have white hair that looks very gray. Any suggestions on how I should clean him? Thanks in advance.
#2 of 6 Old 05-21-2005, 10:01 PM

Hi! too bad for buddy eh, he's getting quite the life! I'm thinking your Waldorf doll is most likely made from all natural materials: wool, cotton, and maybe uhmmm.. is it a quartz inside or some wool stuffing maybe? If you can call and speak to someone at Chinaberry they might know for sure, or perhaps The Kathe Kruse co. (E-Mail info@kaethe-kruse.de)
I'm thinking it may be safe to just rinse well and Air dry as it's had the vinegar bath and that is cleansing.
~L
#3 of 6 Old 05-21-2005, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Some waldorf doll places sell wigs (well sort of) so you may be able to buy ready made hair to replace the messed up set.

My granddaughter dresses her waldorf doll in preemie outfits that my daughter buys at the used clothing shop. Wearing washable clothes protects the doll a bit from dirt.

Best loved toys do lead an adventurous life, don't they?

Nana
#4 of 6 Old 05-21-2005, 11:46 PM

take your doll, tie her hair up if it is loose (like in a pony tail with a band at the top of the loose hair and a band at the lowest bottom if of the hair), Take off all her clothes, band her arms and leg together, put her in a pillowcase, fill the washer with cold water and with a small amount of soap, put her in and let her soak for an hour or so, then run the gentle cycle w/o a spin.

Thats what I have always done!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#5 of 6 Old 05-23-2005, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I contacted Kathe Krus and am planning on doing a hand wool wash this weekend. Wish me (and Buddy!) good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 06-06-2005, 04:20 PM

This is probably out-of-date now but DON'T put a doll stuffed with wool into the washer. Wool felts up when agitated, soaped or the temperature changes. If the skin gets really dirty you can give the doll a new skin over the old one, even just the face if that's all that's necessary. When your dd is bigger though she might protest as this does make the doll look a bit different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page