Dishonest/evasive waldorf teacher... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 186 Old 08-07-2005, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree. With my situation, I hired a lawyer and contacted the EEOC. I definitely had a suit and they were all ready to go forward, but I decided to let it go--- for my child who was stressed about all the questioning and reliving his experience and being blackballed away from all of his friends he'd known since 1 year old. Certain things they did, and put in writing, are just illegal, plain and simple, no debate at all. The law is the law. So I can rest knowing that much.

In the end, I chose to let them live out there own Karma and not give them one more drop of my energy.

To this day that is the reason people think I am such a bad guy:because I started to sue the sacred school and it could have put them out of business (I don't know if that is so true, they have insurance to cover that stuff). No one looks at it like THEY broke the law, and I found it in my heart and spirit to give them a break.

If someone wants to see me as bad, I have learned they are just going to do it. Thanks to Mothering and the great people here for helping with that!

But my mentor teacher taught me that to actually pray for someone who has done you wrong is very transformative. You are released and they still carry the "rocks in their backpack" if they are choosing to.

I would still support someone else's decision to go forward, legally, though. I can see your point that maybe that is the only way some people listen...
#122 of 186 Old 08-07-2005, 07:47 PM

Bestbirths and beansavi ~
#123 of 186 Old 08-08-2005, 12:53 PM

Right back at ya', babe!
#124 of 186 Old 08-08-2005, 04:58 PM

Yes....group hug
#125 of 186 Old 08-08-2005, 05:23 PM

Thanks for leaving me out of the group hug guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi
I agree. With my situation, I hired a lawyer and contacted the EEOC. I definitely had a suit and they were all ready to go forward, but I decided to let it go--- for my child who was stressed about all the questioning and reliving his experience and being blackballed away from all of his friends he'd known since 1 year old. Certain things they did, and put in writing, are just illegal, plain and simple, no debate at all. The law is the law. So I can rest knowing that much.
This has been pretty much my point of view all along. I've tried to work within their system and not take it to the legal system - for the sake of my kids and their relationships - which I am certain would deteriorate the minute they weren't at the school. Every time something horrible happens, I stop and ask myself why didn't the school learn anything from the last time? They keep making the same mistakes and keep putting the same people in charge. Ya gotta wonder if they care at all about what they do to people.
Quote:
In the end, I chose to let them live out there own Karma and not give them one more drop of my energy.
Good for you Beanie!!
Quote:
To this day that is the reason people think I am such a bad guy:because I started to sue the sacred school and it could have put them out of business (I don't know if that is so true, they have insurance to cover that stuff). No one looks at it like THEY broke the law, and I found it in my heart and spirit to give them a break.
It's really shameful. That you could find it in your heart to let them off the hook after everything they put you through speaks volumes about who is the more enlightened person. And it's as if they feel they haven't done anything wrong. And, chances are, they will do it again - given the circumstances.
Quote:
If someone wants to see me as bad, I have learned they are just going to do it. Thanks to Mothering and the great people here for helping with that!
I don't think it's even about them seeing you as bad - I think it's more of them seeing you as weak or vulnerable (please forgive me for saying so). When I was going through the divorce stuff, and my kids were assigned their own lawyer, the school tried to pull all kinds of stuff to get at me - assuming I would be bound by the courts not to make a fuss. They told the lawyer that I had broken their communications protocol - that I had been emailing parents (the communications protocol doesn't allow parents to communicate problems with each other). There was nothing in there about posting on the internet - so that's when I started my internet activities.
Quote:
But my mentor teacher taught me that to actually pray for someone who has done you wrong is very transformative. You are released and they still carry the "rocks in their backpack" if they are choosing to.
Very wise! I haven't been able to force myself to pray for these people yet. I know I will have to some day, but I'm not ready to release them from what they have done. IOW, you're way ahead of me.
Quote:
I would still support someone else's decision to go forward, legally, though. I can see your point that maybe that is the only way some people listen...
This particular school has been sued several times. I don't know if suing will make them listen, but it would compensate me and my kids in some way for what we have been through.

Pete
#126 of 186 Old 08-09-2005, 01:08 PM

Pete, you are always included in the group hug!
#127 of 186 Old 08-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi
Pete, you are always included in the group hug!
I knew that
#128 of 186 Old 08-14-2005, 02:36 PM

In some Waldorf schools, as we have discovered in this thread and others, harassment is part of the gameplan. Should parents (or teachers) who discover a dishonest Waldorf teacher and report it expect to be harassed? I would say - yes, they should. I think a case can be made that Waldorf schools would rather lose a parent or two than a teacher - especially an established teacher. And, let's face it, in an environment where parents are regularly deceived (and they are) about the nature of Waldorf education, the more established teachers are the ones better equiped to handle the deception. So, parents who fight for honesty in Waldorf schools are perhaps fighting a losing battle.

Is there any way to combat deception and evasiveness in Waldorf schools? Yes! New parents - prospective parents need to be informed about the presence and pervasiveness of this dishonest behavior. They need to challenge teachers on the very first orientation evening or the very first community outreach event. Ask the difficult questions. As Waldorf schools discover there is no point in trying to hide what is becoming more and more apparent in the public view, they will have to, through necessity, address the issues honestly and directly. It's like when everyone in the room knows how a magic trick is done - there's really no magic left in it. Public awareness of Waldorf's deceptive nature is the only way to move Waldorf forward into the 21st century. Waldorf will stop hiding things when they realize there is nothing to hide.

Pete
#129 of 186 Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM

So, today, I'm wondering what to do. Having discovered a deceptive Waldorf teacher at the end of last year, I feel I have two options. First, I want to acknowledge that I understand why a teacher might not be willing to be up-front with me about everything that happens in school. After all, I voice my opinion very loudly - here and elsewhere. Having said this, I feel a teacher, like it or not, has a responsibility to let me know when my child has been in a dangerous situation. This particular teacher didn't and I had to find out from another parent. My two options (ignoring this is not an option for me) are 1) to have a talk with the teacher and try to get to the reasons for the deception - try to establish a rapport with him, or 2) to go into the year with a mistrust of the teacher and constantly wondering whether the teacher is being honest. I'm going to try option one and we'll see what happens.

Pete
#130 of 186 Old 08-16-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I'm going to try option one and we'll see what happens.

Pete
In your situation, option one might be the only real choice. I'm crossing my fingers that it does some good! Let us know how it goes.
#131 of 186 Old 08-16-2005, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
In your situation, option one might be the only real choice. I'm crossing my fingers that it does some good! Let us know how it goes.
I've emailed him to see if we could sit down for a cup of coffee. So far, no reply.

Pete
#132 of 186 Old 08-16-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
So, today, I'm wondering what to do. Having discovered a deceptive Waldorf teacher at the end of last year, I feel I have two options. First, I want to acknowledge that I understand why a teacher might not be willing to be up-front with me about everything that happens in school. After all, I voice my opinion very loudly - here and elsewhere. Having said this, I feel a teacher, like it or not, has a responsibility to let me know when my child has been in a dangerous situation. This particular teacher didn't and I had to find out from another parent. My two options (ignoring this is not an option for me) are 1) to have a talk with the teacher and try to get to the reasons for the deception - try to establish a rapport with him, or 2) to go into the year with a mistrust of the teacher and constantly wondering whether the teacher is being honest. I'm going to try option one and we'll see what happens.

Pete

Dear Pete,

Have you thought about how things might appear from the teacher's point of view?

If I were this teacher, I would be quite concerned that anything I said could end up on the Internet or in court. It might be a real challenge for this teacher to trust you and trust that the conversation would not be made public in some way or be used as evidence in a tort action.

As you yourself have said several times, you have been very outspoken and have been publishing your concerns on the Internet for some time now. Also, you have mentioned the possibility of legal action a few times against the school and/or teachers. This could be very worrying for a teacher who is concerned about the possibility of becoming a defendant in a suit so I can understand that he/she might be feeling very cautious. Perhaps he/she has received legal advice not to speak with you. It's certainly a possibility.

Serena
#133 of 186 Old 08-16-2005, 10:07 PM

---Perhaps he/she has received legal advice not to speak with you. It's certainly a possibility.----

I really do pity any teacher your children might have.
#134 of 186 Old 08-16-2005, 10:08 PM

Serena said:

"If I were this teacher , I would quite concerned that anything I said could end up on the Internet or in court. It might be a real challenge for this teacher to trust you and trust that the conversation would not be made public in some way or be used as evidence in a tort action."

I'm confused by this reply. What would the teacher be saying that shouldn't be made public?
Chloe
#135 of 186 Old 08-16-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe1961
Serena said:

"If I were this teacher , I would quite concerned that anything I said could end up on the Internet or in court. It might be a real challenge for this teacher to trust you and trust that the conversation would not be made public in some way or be used as evidence in a tort action."

I'm confused by this reply. What would the teacher be saying that shouldn't be made public?
Chloe
Children's business, for one thing. Is there nothing private at all? Do we know that whatever anyone posts is actually true? Maybe we could go ahead and put mini-cams on every street corner and in every single office in the entire country and every single classroom.

Maybe even in all the bathrooms, too. Esp if you work in a restaurant. i want to know who washes their hands carefully (if at all) and who does not.

If you are picking your nose, I want to see! If you are at work, your life is an open book, and forget civil rights, dammit.
#136 of 186 Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 PM

"Children's business, for one thing. Is there nothing private at all? Do we know that whatever anyone posts is actually true? Maybe we could go ahead and put mini-cams on every street corner and in every single office in the entire country and every single classroom.

Maybe even in all the bathrooms, too. Esp if you work in a restaurant. i want to know who washes their hands carefully (if at all) and who does not.

If you are picking your nose, I want to see! If you are at work, your life is an open book, and forget civil rights, dammit."

Whoa! Easy. This seems an over-reaction. And it sounds to me like this class needs its business posted. It's very important that kids business be private, I agree -except when that business is something that it's important NOT be private.
#137 of 186 Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM

While you might think I'm 'over-reacting', I don't.

I wouldn't want to be a teacher these days if my life depended on it.
#138 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Blaue
Dear Pete,

Have you thought about how things might appear from the teacher's point of view?
Yes, of course.
Quote:
If I were this teacher , I would quite concerned that anything I said could end up on the Internet or in court. It might be a real challenge for this teacher to trust you and trust that the conversation would not be made public in some way or be used as evidence in a tort action.
Teachers are used to challenges. You see, the thing with me is - I'm not a liar. Everything I relate is true. So, from a trust standpoint - I'm very trustworthy. And, BTW, I never betray a trust. If someone says - don't repeat this - I don't.
Quote:
As you yourself have said several times, you have been very outspoken and have been publishing your concerns on the Internet for some time now. Also, you have mentioned the possibility of legal action a few times against the school and/or teachers. This could be very worrying for a teacher who is concerned about the possibility of becoming a defendant in a suit so I can understand that he/she might be feeling very cautious. Perhaps he/she has received legal advice not to speak with you. It's certainly a possibility.
Well, my intention is to get off on the right foot for this year. But, of course it's up to him. If a lawsuit happens, it will most likely be for something the school has done - not one of the teachers.

Pete
#139 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom
---Perhaps he/she has received legal advice not to speak with you. It's certainly a possibility.----

I really do pity any teacher your children might have.
Me too. BTW -

Pete
#140 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe1961
Serena said:

Chloe
And what would the teacher say TO ME that shouldn't be made public?

And, I'm sorry (not really) but teachers who go out of their way to hurt kids deserve to be spotlighted in my internet dialogs. Quite frankly, I'd like to start posting their names (not here) and the schools (not here) and keep track of them like they do child molesters. Why should bad teachers disappear into the Waldorf system?

When I encounter a good teacher, and I have many times, I'll go to bat for them - I'll do anything that they ask of me for the class - I'm the parent that other parents point to and say WOW... I support them unconditionally (as long as they are good teachers of course). But, yes, absolutely, I pity the teacher who hurts my kids. They are going to pay a price - no doubt. I couldn't care less about letting them off the hook.

Pete
#141 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 01:12 AM

Quote:
And what would the teacher say TO ME that shouldn't be made public?

And, I'm sorry (not really) but teachers who go out of their way to hurt kids deserve to be spotlighted in my internet dialogs. Quite frankly, I'd like to start posting their names (not here) and the schools (not here) and keep track of them like they do child molesters. Why should bad teachers disappear into the Waldorf system?

When I encounter a good teacher, and I have many times, I'll go to bat for them - I'll do anything that they ask of me for the class - I'm the parent that other parents point to and say WOW... I support them unconditionally (as long as they are good teachers of course). But, yes, absolutely, I pity the teacher who hurts my kids. They are going to pay a price - no doubt. I couldn't care less about letting them off the hook.

Pete
Dear Pete,

If I were one of your children's teachers reading this, I would be sure to make a point of speaking with the school attorney before sitting down to a conversation with you.

And what happens to the "good" teacher who makes a mistake? Do they get the full internet exposure treatment, too? Yikes!

I wonder what effect it could have on one's children if their teacher(s) are outed as "bad" on the Internet. Do you think this would affect them in their daily school life? Would it help the children's relationships with their teachers, I wonder?

It's awfully hard to be happy about sitting down to speak with someone who is likely to put up a negative charactization of our conversation on the Internet. I can't imagine looking forward to it myself. Plus, it's only one side of the conversation, isn't it?

Serena
#142 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Blaue
Dear Pete,

If I were one of your children's teachers reading this, I would be sure to make a point of speaking with the school attorney before sitting down to a conversation with you.
Whatever... Considering everything the school has put me through and put my kids through - the fact that I haven't sued them should make them feel quite safe. I'm not the problem here Serena. People who don't understand this ARE the problem.

Quote:
And what happens to the "good" teacher who makes a mistake? Do they get the full internet exposure treatment, too? Yikes!
Good teachers - teachers who are open with me and can have a conversation without hiding things, and can describe to me the mistake and acknowledge that it WAS a mistake have nothing to fear. You think I'm someone who has a problem with people making mistakes? Not at all. I'm a person who has a problem with people making mistakes and then hiding them - not calling the authorities when the law says they must, not telling parents when their children were involved in something or were hurt in some way. Everybody makes mistakes - but not everybody has to cover them with deception.
Quote:
I wonder what effect it could have on one's children if their teacher(s) are outed as "bad" on the Internet. Do you think this would affect them in their daily school life? Would it help the children's relationships with their teachers, I wonder?
No - it would probably be very harmful to the children - because the teachers in Waldorf schools take out the problems they have with parents on the children themselves. I just finished reading a long post on another website that describes exactly this. You think perhaps I'm going to be muffled into silence because of fear of what the teachers might do to my children? And this silence would be good in some way? The teachers have only one choice - they can choose to be responsible, honest people. That's not a lot to ask of anyone.
Quote:
It's awfully hard to be happy about sitting down to speak with someone who is likely to put up a negative charactization of our conversation on the Internet. I can't imagine looking forward to it myself. Plus, it's only one side of the conversation, isn't it?
I'm not interested in making anyone "happy" about anything. I'm trying to get the year off on the right foot so there AREN'T problems. I don't care if a teacher looks forward to dealing with me or not. It's something they have to do. Do you think I look forward to dealing with them? Trust me when I tell you - I'd much rather not have to deal with Waldorf teachers at all. Nothing would make me happier than a school year that went smoothly for once.

Pete
#143 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 12:25 PM

I would hardly call discussing your problems in a supportive environment, designed for such a thing, "outing someone on the Internet".

I would like to reaffirm here that this is an okay place for everyone to express concerns, clear your head, get advice, whatever.

Don't feel bad about that-ever.
#144 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 01:27 PM

Pete,

Have you ever attended a Waldorf school? Have you had children attending a Waldorf school?

Lisa
#145 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamaj
Pete,

Have you ever attended a Waldorf school? Have you had children attending a Waldorf school?

Lisa
If you are asking if I was ever a Waldorf student myself - No. With regard to my kids - yes I have three kids who attend Waldorf school and have each attended since kindergarten (or before). My oldest is a senior in HS. I've also been a founder of a Waldorf school. My Waldorf school experience spans 15 years.

Pete
#146 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 06:46 PM

Just asking because the Waldorf you describe is nothing like the Waldorf I have grown up with/experienced.

Lisa
#147 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 07:35 PM

Just a friendly reminder -

Everyone has their own subjective viewpoint. The fact that one person's perspective is different from another's does not disqualify the other's view.
#148 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamaj
Just asking because the Waldorf you describe is nothing like the Waldorf I have grown up with/experienced.
I could say the same thing. People describe wonderful Waldorf environments and I have to accept that they must exist - but I haven't seen them and I've seen so many terrible ones I wonder about the people who make comments like the one you made above. Even the Waldorf school initiative I helped start, when we hired a seasoned Waldorf teacher, went downhill - kids were coming home in tears and reports of abusive language toward the children were common. I know there must be some wonderful Waldorf schools somewhere, otherwise I'd have to assume people who claim there are must be making it all up. In my experience, BTW, people who have grown up in Waldorf, are generally eager to excuse or don't seem to notice the problems at all. I have known a handful, however, who are outspoken even toward their own school when it has shown injustice or dishonesty. Those are Waldorf students I can admire. People who pretend not to notice the elephant in the middle of the livingroom are people I can do without.

Pete
#149 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by May May
Just a friendly reminder -

Everyone has their own subjective viewpoint. The fact that one person's perspective is different from another's does not disqualify the other's view.
Thanks May May! Yes, I agree that everyone has their own experiences to draw from. Nobody's experience is invalidated by the experience of somebody else.

Pete
#150 of 186 Old 08-17-2005, 07:50 PM

Let me just say one more thing here - I think there are many people AT THE SAME SCHOOL I am describing who wouldn't have a clue any of the stuff I've been through and my kids have been through has transpired. I've spoken with TEACHERS at the school who had no idea what I've been put through. And there are many, many parents of seniors who still think Waldorf is all about silk scarfs and wooden toys. Each person's level of immersion in the system is different.

Pete

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page