Dishonest/evasive waldorf teacher... - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2005, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonwyn
Yes, it is good in some respects but it is also unfair because crap like this occurs at other private schools (ask me about Catholic school) and even at public schools (ask me about my friend's child being molested by another child at school, ask me about the dad who was molesting children and the school didn't want to press charges). The school this child attended should be sued.
Yes, I'm sure people would ask you about these things on a Catholic School forum or a public school forum, but this is a Waldorf forum and that's why it is absolutely fair to talk about these things as they relate to Waldorf here. Of course there is no completely safe school environment, but some environments are safer than others and when dishonest and evasive behavior punctuates a particular environment, it is not only noteworthy to bring up these things, it is essential.

Quote:
What happened to this child is the complete opposite to anything I or my children have ever experienced at our Waldorf school.
I'm happy for you and your child. When people with horrible Waldorf experiences relate those experiences to people who have had wonderful Waldorf experiences, and visa versa, each side finds the other's experiences unbelievable. That seems pretty normal. What I don't understand is people who try to smooth over horrible Walforf experiences by suggesting that they are everywhere. I had wonderful public school experiences, but I don't feel any need to defend public schools when others have had experiences that disagree with mine. I can sympathize with them even if my own experiences are completely opposite.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Here is a link to one of the many emails I receive from parents who have experienced dishonest/evasive Waldorf teachers and schools.
Here is a link to one of the many emails I receive from parents who have experienced dishonest/evasive Waldorf teachers and schools.

http://lists.topica.com/lists/Waldo...sort=d&start=98
Pete
This is a horrible story and I don't believe some one would just make it up to discredit Waldorf.
Allot of it seems familiar. At the school my son was in they also spoke of my son not incarnating in his body. Were I not open to the idea of reincarnation I would not have sent him to a Waldorf school to begin with, however I disagree with THE WAY they deal with the problem. From what I have seen, active young boys seem to have a harder time at Waldorf schools although I have seen plenty of girls who had problems there too. The teachers in my son’s school were not mean like the ones in this account.
Things like this should not happen
Lorraine
Old 09-30-2005, 05:59 PM

I have to say that I haven't seen anything like what is described here, on the site linked or on waldorf-critics in my experience. The worst I have seen is one individual nut of a teacher, a couple of really nutty parents with nothing better to do than be aspiring Waldorf police, and one case of racism from the same nutty teacher, who is no longer at the school. Most of the parents are really happy. Most of the teachers are sufficiently young and immersed in the modern world to be good role models, and easygoing about recommendations (such as media) versus reality. Karma and anthroposophy aren't discussed with the students- at least not in grades k-8. I don't know about high school. Fairy tales are told and chosen for what they can help the class or individuals with, of course; what's wrong with that? I suggest books to my daughter because I think they might help with something she needs to hear. The selection of fairy tales is no more sinister than that. The only other thing I have seen at two Waldorf schools is a reluctance of teachers to suggest parents seek medical or psychiatric help for children who might need it, which on the other hand is a refreshing change from the current trend of some schools, public and private, to recommend drugging any child of four who can't sit still.

What has seemed strange to me is the virulence with which pro- and anti-Waldorf people put their view across. Even those I know with moderately dissatisfactory experiences see no more need to comment on it after simply moving their kid to another school.

At teacher training workshops at Rudolf Steiner College it was made very clear that the child's relationship with his family was of utmost importance and the parents always require the utmost respect as that child's choice (reincarnation idea) for this lifetime.

I am sorry to see that so many are so unhappy with their experience, but wanted to chime in that although I had my complaints, I didn't see or hear (even in faculty meetings) anything even approximating what's discussed here and on waldorf critics. At the very least a good Waldorf kindergarten is truly so precious, so perfect, I can't recommend it highly enough, no matter the route of education you prefer for the rest of the child's school years.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah
This is a horrible story and I don't believe some one would just make it up to discredit Waldorf.
I can't believe anyone would make this up either - and for me this story is confirmed, unfortunately, by lots of other emails and dialogs on the internet talking about the same things happening all over the world in Waldorf schools. :

Pete
Old 09-30-2005, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
I have to say that I haven't seen anything like what is described here, on the site linked or on waldorf-critics in my experience. The worst I have seen is one individual nut of a teacher, a couple of really nutty parents with nothing better to do than be aspiring Waldorf police, and one case of racism from the same nutty teacher, who is no longer at the school. Most of the parents are really happy. Most of the teachers are sufficiently young and immersed in the modern world to be good role models, and easygoing about recommendations (such as media) versus reality. Karma and anthroposophy aren't discussed with the students- at least not in grades k-8. I don't know about high school. Fairy tales are told and chosen for what they can help the class or individuals with, of course; what's wrong with that? I suggest books to my daughter because I think they might help with something she needs to hear. The selection of fairy tales is no more sinister than that. The only other thing I have seen at two Waldorf schools is a reluctance of teachers to suggest parents seek medical or psychiatric help for children who might need it, which on the other hand is a refreshing change from the current trend of some schools, public and private, to recommend drugging any child of four who can't sit still.

What has seemed strange to me is the virulence with which pro- and anti-Waldorf people put their view across. Even those I know with moderately dissatisfactory experiences see no more need to comment on it after simply moving their kid to another school.

At teacher training workshops at Rudolf Steiner College it was made very clear that the child's relationship with his family was of utmost importance and the parents always require the utmost respect as that child's choice (reincarnation idea) for this lifetime.

I am sorry to see that so many are so unhappy with their experience, but wanted to chime in that although I had my complaints, I didn't see or hear (even in faculty meetings) anything even approximating what's discussed here and on waldorf critics. At the very least a good Waldorf kindergarten is truly so precious, so perfect, I can't recommend it highly enough, no matter the route of education you prefer for the rest of the child's school years.
Thanks Liz. I agree, there are some people with great experiences out there - and to them these stories sound very strange and perhaps even made up. I sometimes compare it to seeing a UFO. Up until you actually see one, no matter how many people have told you they've seen them, it's completely up to you whether you believe them. Once you've unmistakably seen one (regrettably I never have) you can't really deny their existence any more.

I don't have any trouble agreeing with you on the Waldorf kindergarten. I think generally they are as good as any kindergarten environment. Again, there are exceptions but that goes with the territory.

Pete
Old 10-01-2005, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
This thread is closed for review.

User Tag List