Kindergarten vs. Kinder-Grind - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-08-2005, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8133437/

Articles like that make me so glad we are a Waldorf family. Ds didn't learn his letters until 1st grade. Now in the 3rd grade, he is reading Robison Crusoe and a whole bunch of other books and loving them.
#2 of 6 Old 06-08-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
"What children know when they enter kindergarten about things like letters of the alphabet can predict reading scores all the way through 10th grade," says Russ Whitehurst, the director of the Institute of Education Sciences at the U.S. Department of Education.

I'd LOVE to see proof of that, since it directly contradicts *everything* have ever read on the matter.

#3 of 6 Old 06-08-2005, 05:39 PM

What experts are they referring to? *ugh* and the no child left behind is being toted like it is good practice for our children. Raise what bar? We know why children may not do well in school and it has nothing to do with testing and performance based advancement. I can't believe our government adopted this as an act to benefit families. I still dread my dd turning 5. i wish we had a better alternative to public school/private school in our area.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#4 of 6 Old 06-10-2005, 12:04 AM

someone I know is watching a friends child this summer who is going into 2nd
and struggling with reading ( threat is if she doesnt learn to read the school is leaving her back.) she is made to read 20 min a day and the caregiver will
asks her questions until she gets them right.. this is also a child
that isnt very motivated to do things and would probably rather lay on the couch........ UGH!

Why is it some think by 'pushing' kids to read young is going to make
them comprehend better. I often wonder being a young reader myself if
thats why i have trouble with reading comprehension...

Michele
#5 of 6 Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 AM

wow, they took a potentially interesting topic for an article and turned it into fluff. i wish they would have gone deeper into the issue.
#6 of 6 Old 06-26-2005, 01:56 PM

It's incredibly sad to me that our policymakers have so little understanding about childhood and children's needs. I can't think of a worse direction for our educational system to go than to push children into their heads and out of their bodies, hearts, and spirits in KINDERGARTEN!!! Good grief.

I'm with you, Rhonwyn, Waldorf all the way...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page