Waldorf-style daycare? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-10-2005, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am opening a daycare and have been contemplating the idea of a Waldorf-style daycare. Where would I go to find resources/materials for such a daycare? Also, do you experienced Waldorf parents think that it would have a positive impact on the children, even though their home environments may be far removed from a Waldorf, NFL, GD, AP kind of atmosphere?

Either way, a lot of the Waldorf practices are already in place in my home and will be extended into the daycare. No TV, non-plastic/imaginative toys that allow children to explore, etc. Also, I am planning to feed the children according to the Body Ecology Diet/Nurishing Traditions, and I really feel that a child's diet plays such an important, important part in determining their ability to live a happy, healthy life ... so that would be affecting them, regardless of the daycare environment.

Just some ramblings, I suppose. I need some thoughts and ideas here.
#2 of 9 Old 06-10-2005, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
My daughter has been doing a waldorf style day care in her home for two years. She is in Vermont. Would you be interested in talking to her? I could ask her if she has time.

She took a course at Sophia's Hearth in NH. My grandson's picture is on one of their brochures!

Deborah
#3 of 9 Old 06-10-2005, 03:39 PM

It's a lovely idea! and many folks provide that or playgroups, but before you consider it "Waldorf-style" I recommend taking at least a week-long course somewhere. The material trappings (and lack thereof ) are not what makes it Waldorf. There's the whole Steiner component and the spiritual work of the teacher.
#4 of 9 Old 06-10-2005, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
It's a lovely idea! and many folks provide that or playgroups, but before you consider it "Waldorf-style" I recommend taking at least a week-long course somewhere. The material trappings (and lack thereof ) are not what makes it Waldorf. There's the whole Steiner component and the spiritual work of the teacher.
I know this is true. I have been looking for an opportunity to take a class in Minneapolis, which is the nearest place I can find that offers such a thing ... and that's a nine hour drive. (I don't live in what you might call a progressive place. ) I know that the material trappings and lack thereof are not what make a learning environment Waldorf, and even if I cannot set up a Waldorf-style daycare, it is going to be an AP (or AC = Attachment Caregiver ) kind of daycare. I very much want to run something the opposite of the big, institutional daycares where the babies are left in bouncy seats and swings all day and where it's considered fine caregiving as long as no one injures anyone else. KWIM?
#5 of 9 Old 06-10-2005, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah
My daughter has been doing a waldorf style day care in her home for two years. She is in Vermont. Would you be interested in talking to her? I could ask her if she has time.

She took a course at Sophia's Hearth in NH. My grandson's picture is on one of their brochures!

Deborah
I PM'd you, Deborah.
#6 of 9 Old 06-16-2005, 10:07 PM

You might want to visit www.lifewayscenter.org - Lifeways is a program I think started by Cynthia Aldinger. A lot of it is about incorporating Waldorf principles into childcare centers.

You might also find these links helpful:

Lifeways Principles for Caring for Young Children:
http://www.waldorfinthehome.org/life..._children.html

LifeWays Basic Practices in the Care of Young Children at Home and in Child Care:
http://www.waldorfinthehome.org/life...hild_care.html

Good LUck!

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#7 of 9 Old 06-20-2005, 05:04 PM

Thank you for the links! We moved to a new area where there is nothing but public or church related schools. I've been looking for a school that works for the style of parenting/teaching that we believe in. I knew Waldorf was probably it, but wasn't completely sure what all was involved.
OP...sounds like you're setting up a great school, too bad you're not in Ca, I'd have to check you out! What is the method/style of the meals you mentioned?
#8 of 9 Old 06-30-2005, 01:43 AM

I have a Waldorf daycare and teach in the Lifeways training if you have more questions
trisha
#9 of 9 Old 06-30-2005, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was just coming to post about lifeways.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page