Usa compared to other countries - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-24-2005, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WHy is it so many believe that other countries are much more advanced then us because they start academics early? (not sure even when other countries do)

Michele
#2 of 4 Old 06-24-2005, 12:20 PM

i think we rely more on college outcome, where the maths and sciences are excellent, than on elementary and secondary education. We also don't have a standard curric throughout our country, whereas many other nations do.

One goal of NCLB was supposed to help standarize curric, so that all children everywhere would supposedly get the same information at the same time. We're a nation of diverse educational values, which is why school system A teaches one thing, while school system B might ignore the same thing that seems so important to school system A.

We're still experimenting.
#3 of 4 Old 06-24-2005, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
I've heard that the Finns, who have excellent outcomes, do not push early academics. I'll see if I can find an article about it.

Americans currently have a strong interest in early academic development, although it isn't actually supported by the science.
Deborah
#4 of 4 Old 06-26-2005, 06:02 PM

here in germany, children go to kindergarten like in waldorf schools, for 2 sometimes 3 years. there are no academics in kindergarten. the children do not learn the alphabet until first grade. in switzerland, it is very much the same.
here, i have heard much talk about how americans push academics too early. here also, kids learn to walk, sit and eat solinds much later than the american norm. but, you know what, by 10 years old, do you think anyone can tell which learned to walk at 8 months and which 16 months? who was reading at 4, and who at 8? i think it depends more on the child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page