Do you use birthday rings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-07-2005, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been interested in the birthday rings that I've seen on some of the Waldorf resource websites, but rather unclear just how to use them or to integrate them into the festivities.

Do they take the place of candles on a cake?

Do you use them up to the Birthday event, as a precursor and in counting down days?

What's your take on "empty" spots - do you fill them with decorations? Some of the ones I've seen have between 8 and 12 holes, and DD will be two.

Seems like a neat idea, but I'm really rather clueless. I'd appreciate some guideance on thier usage!

Kristen
#2 of 5 Old 10-13-2005, 01:08 AM

We have one with flower people/woodland people. Each one fits in a space around the ring, and we remove one and put a candle in that space depending on the birthday number. -So for dd's 5th birthday there were 5 candles. One more candle, one less flower person than last year.

I don't know how other people use their ring, but we use ours first thing in the morning--when it's just our family-for a quiet celebration. We light the candles, the child blows them out, then the birthday child gets a mug of hot chocolate. In bed. Maybe a cupcake too.
#3 of 5 Old 10-18-2005, 01:47 AM

I love DS birthday ring. it's a kathy Krusse (msp?) one I believe the woodland fairy set. I am already scoping one out for DD for next year :LOL as they are sort of pricey and I want to make sure to get it well in advance. obviously we've only used it once so far for DS but I'm interested in hearing about other people's traditions. we lit the candle while he ate his bday cake. each year you add a candle and the empty spots have pegs of little forest characters. I think the birthday ring will create wonderful memories and then they can pass them down to their kids if they wish.

eta- this is the set DS has. (it's no longer available here but I know they are sold elsewhere)
http://www.blessingscatalog.com/menu...&ProductID=487

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#4 of 5 Old 10-23-2005, 12:29 PM

I think traditionally you would fill the empty spaces with the little figures and such, but here's what we do:

At every birthday celebration, we gather around and light a candle in the center of the birthday ring to sort of symbolize their "birth" candle. Someone then tells the Birthday Story or Rainbow Bridge story...the story of their birth.

As the story moves on, we go into just a couple details of their first year, and we say "and then __(name)__ was one" and we light one candle on the ring. Then the story goes on to tell things that happened after they were one. We do this for each year...."and then __(name)__ was two" and we light the second candle. We talk about this year...in this year she learned to....

That's how we do it.

I love the idea of reading the birthday/rainbow bridge story at each birthday celebration. It just kind of reminds the child how special they are.

FWIW, there is a new website where they will write a custom story for you based on your descriptions and details. They bind it into a hardbound book to be read every year. www.crossingthebridgebooks.com

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#5 of 5 Old 10-23-2005, 12:34 PM

that's a wonderful idea Dana!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page