Grateful for the opportunity to have read pros/cons of Waldorf/Steiner/Anthroposophy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Support Only Please.

I came to this forum almost accidentally while researching whether or not I should homeschool. I have many friends who are involved in Waldorf playgroups and I have relatives who are planning to put their child in a Waldorf school. I've been to some absolutely fabulous Waldorf-inspired birthday parties. I absolutely love the Magic Cabin and Hearthsong catalogs. We have tons of wooden toys & puppets in our home, magical books about fairies and make believe and we love to frolic about in nature.

I was actually planning to join one of the local Waldorf groups until I started reading some of the more critical views of Waldorf and the history of how Waldorf came to be. I still love the idea of many things that are easily identifiable with Waldorf education (not rushing the child to read, the love and development of imagination, embracing more natural ways of life, etc.) but with more knowledge, including pros and cons and debates about certain aspects of Waldorf (including Steiner and Anthroposophy), I have been led to research more deeply into the issues and have made my own personal decisions regarding whether or not to Waldorf.

Fortunately, I homeschool and one of the great things about homeschool is that you can pick and choose, use what you want, regardless of where you might have found the inspiration and you can raise your children the way you want to. I love that I have been able to learn about such a large variety of different aspects of Waldorf and that I can pick and choose which of those I might want my children to experience and which I would prefer they not.

Who else is grateful that this forum has been such a mecca of information, both pro and con and somewhere in between about Waldorf, Steiner and Anthroposophy?
#2 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
Support Only Please.

I came to this forum almost accidentally while researching whether or not I should homeschool. I have many friends who are involved in Waldorf playgroups and I have relatives who are planning to put their child in a Waldorf school. I've been to some absolutely fabulous Waldorf-inspired birthday parties. I absolutely love the Magic Cabin and Hearthsong catalogs. We have tons of wooden toys & puppets in our home, magical books about fairies and make believe and we love to frolic about in nature.

I was actually planning to join one of the local Waldorf groups until I started reading some of the more critical views of Waldorf and the history of how Waldorf came to be. I still love the idea of many things that are easily identifiable with Waldorf education (not rushing the child to read, the love and development of imagination, embracing more natural ways of life, etc.) but with more knowledge, including pros and cons and debates about certain aspects of Waldorf (including Steiner and Anthroposophy), I have been led to research more deeply into the issues and have made my own personal decisions regarding whether or not to Waldorf.

Fortunately, I homeschool and one of the great things about homeschool is that you can pick and choose, use what you want, regardless of where you might have found the inspiration and you can raise your children the way you want to. I love that I have been able to learn about such a large variety of different aspects of Waldorf and that I can pick and choose which of those I might want my children to experience and which I would prefer they not.

Who else is grateful that this forum has been such a mecca of information, both pro and con and somewhere in between about Waldorf, Steiner and Anthroposophy?
I'm grateful that this forum has allowed information and debate - both pro and con. And I'm grateful to you RiverSky, for the opportunity to say so, and to the moderators for giving up their weekends and evenings to moderate all this (especially Lauren) and I am grateful to those who have challenged each side to make their case.

Thanks!!!

Pete
#3 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 03:13 PM

I am grateful that I found this forum. The open discussions on the pros and cons allowed me to decide what is right for my family.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#4 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfAnswers

If it continues to be published, it seems I will need to comment on it in detail.

Sune
: No doubt! :

Pete
#5 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfAnswers
If it continues to be published, it seems I will need to comment on it in detail.

Sune
Do me a favor, please, and don't comment on it in this thread. I was asking for support only.

In reality, I have enjoyed hearing all the pros and cons, your points, too. I read, evaluate, consider and decide which points I believe in wholeheartedly and which I take with a grain of salt and which ones I simply laugh at.

I'm no member of PLANS and I don't even find the website particularly helpful (though some of the quotes were fascinating) but the link you just gave me made me laugh and probably not in a way that you intended. It seems rather inflated (for lack of a better word - the right word is escaping me at the moment).

Now, this is not intended for Sune, just in general...

I prefer calm discussions and less animosity. I can't stand it when certain posters berate other posters. Why can't we just all act like adults, respecting eachother's opinions, even if they differ from ours? Why not assume that if you disagree with someone and post the reasons why and give links perhaps or some type of evidence or quotes...why not assume that the other readers and posters can make their own decisions about which is more likely to be true or correct or welll-supported, well argued, and dispense with excessive negativities? I have found these negativities in more sections of MDC than just the Waldorf area, so I'm speaking really in generalities here, but I've definitely seen it happen in the Waldorf folder. I guess that is why I made this a Support Only thread.

But Sune, I say, "thank you for your input," regardless.
#6 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 05:33 PM

Yes, in big orange letters it says Support Only.

I am grateful for the pros and cons in this forum regarding Waldorf, because the big issues and pains I have experienced are because things are not black and white. I have always said there is a lot of good going on with Waldorf and therefore where it reaches, and that I just wish it would heal and be honest so it can be more effective. I mean, jeez, I didn't study/train for so long and spend so much of my life building a Waldorf School because it was "pure evil".

I really think that the more maturely we behave, not jumping on threads or jumping on issues or jumping on each other, the more credible you end up looking, especially if our bottom line is to see things done right and done well.

Great Thread
#7 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I prefer calm discussions and less animosity. I can't stand it when certain posters berate other posters. Why can't we just all act like adults, respecting eachother's opinions, even if they differ from ours? Why not assume that if you disagree with someone and post the reasons why and give links perhaps or some type of evidence or quotes...why not assume that the other readers and posters can make their own decisions about which is more likely to be true or correct or welll-supported, well argued, and dispense with excessive negativities?
:

Pete
#8 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
:

Pete
#9 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Oh... You meant me?

I pledge to do my part... m'kay...
#10 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

oh no, no, no, you misunderstood, Pete. Actually, I've always seen you be extremely dignified in your posts, with a little added touch of humor here and there, which is greatly appreciated by some of the readers (I assume I'm not the only one!). I'm definitely NOT talking about you, except in that much of the animosity was unfortunately aimed at you. But you handle it well, I think.
#11 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
oh no, no, no, you misunderstood, Pete. Actually, I've always seen you be extremely dignified in your posts, with a little added touch of humor here and there, which is greatly appreciated by some of the readers (I assume I'm not the only one!). I'm definitely NOT talking about you, except in that much of the animosity was unfortunately aimed at you. But you handle it well, I think.
OK, thanks! Yes, sorry about being here to cause all the animosity. I know some of us know each other from other lists and so naturally we know which buttons to push too. Some of these issues have been discussed elsewhere and I'm sure will continue to be discussed here and elsewhere (in detail no doubt) for all eternity - whether I am here or not.

So again, reinforcing what you said - let's redouble our efforts to keep the dialog civil - and let's let Lauren have a night off once in a while.

Pete
#12 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb
I am grateful that I found this forum. The open discussions on the pros and cons allowed me to decide what is right for my family.
Thanx, Kewb, I was very glad to see your post and realize I'm not alone. I didn't think I was. If there are a few of us posting, how many are lurking, agreeing yet not posting? I'd love to hear from others, too.
#13 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi
I am grateful for the pros and cons in this forum regarding Waldorf, because the big issues and pains I have experienced are because things are not black and white. I have always said there is a lot of good going on with Waldorf and therefore where it reaches, and that I just wish it would heal and be honest so it can be more effective. I mean, jeez, I didn't study/train for so long and spend so much of my life building a Waldorf School because it was "pure evil".
No, I'm sure you didn't. Thank you for posting, Beansavi.

Quote:
I really think that the more maturely we behave, not jumping on threads or jumping on issues or jumping on each other, the more credible you end up looking, especially if our bottom line is to see things done right and done well.

Quote:
Great Thread
Awww...thank you!
#14 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 09:45 PM

I'm also very grateful to the supporters and the critics alike If it was all one or the other, we wouldn't be getting the full picture. I'm glad that both sides are so forthcoming with all thier helpful information
#15 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsgotmilk4two
I'm also very grateful to the supporters and the critics alike If it was all one or the other, we wouldn't be getting the full picture. I'm glad that both sides are so forthcoming with all thier helpful information
Are you closer to having decided whether or not to put any of your children in Waldorf schools? School choice is always a big decision.
#16 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
So again, reinforcing what you said - let's redouble our efforts to keep the dialog civil - and let's let Lauren have a night off once in a while.

#17 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren

Or we could just loosen up the rules a bit...

(just kidding)

Pete
#18 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

#19 of 25 Old 10-11-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Or we could just loosen up the rules a bit...

(just kidding)

Pete

Sorry - that was just a case of my political views sneaking in... as in... One way to cut down on crime is to stop making everything a crime... I was thinking of you Lauren... really...

Pete
#20 of 25 Old 10-11-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Support Only Please.
Hi! I too am very grateful to have this forum. Although there are many things I like about Waldorf and Steiner’s philosophies, there are things I don't like. We also did not have a great experience with Waldorf, although it was not a horrific as what others have described. My son was in Waldorf for 31/2 years. While there, I have seen it go badly for other children besides our son. Could it have gone badly somewhere else in another type of school? Possibly. It is also possible that it is these particular schools my son was in, however reading others experiences makes me think it is not. I can only say that since switching my son to Montessori allot of the "problems" have either gotten better or gone away entirely. I am also grateful for the comparisons and Montessori forum for helping us make the switch.
Lauren, you are doing a wonderful job as moderator and thank you Peggy for having this site to begin with!
Lorraine
#21 of 25 Old 10-18-2005, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

It's great to hear that there are others, besides myself, who have enjoyed hearing all different and equally valid views on Waldorf education.

Thank you for posting!
#22 of 25 Old 10-20-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
It's great to hear that there are others, besides myself, who have enjoyed hearing all different and equally valid views on Waldorf education.

Thank you for posting!
It sure gets quiet around here when we don't discuss things. :yawning:

Should we start a new topic?

Pete
#23 of 25 Old 10-21-2005, 01:20 AM

Quote:
It sure gets quiet around here when we don't discuss things. :yawning:

Should we start a new topic?

Pete
Maybe you should check out the other forums if you are bored. The N&CE board can be interesting.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#24 of 25 Old 10-21-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy
Maybe you should check out the other forums if you are bored. The N&CE board can be interesting.
I'm not bored. I've got lots to talk about here and many subjects about Waldorf that haven't been discussed yet. But thanks for the invitation.

Pete
#25 of 25 Old 10-21-2005, 12:20 PM

I am grateful for all the post on the Waldorf topic. I have to say I love the school my children are in and we have actually had the best schooling experience ever. But I am happy to have heard the other side and it was eye opening to hear about the hush hush area of Waldorf philosophy. Prior to this forum, I would not have had the direct uneasy conversations with the director of our children's school. For warned is For Armed so to speak. I am sorry to hear that so many others have had not so good experiences, but I hope we don't give up in the schools because there is something to it that can reach a great many children that need it.
Opps look at the time, gotta be somewhere soon Bye for now
Yinsum

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page