Waldorf and Aspergers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-01-2006, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a daughter that will be 7 in September and I would love for her to go to a Waldorf school. She was diagnost with Aspergers in April of 04 and I worry that she would be kicked out because of her behavor. Do you think they can handle a child that has anger issues? Sensory issues? PICA? ( that is were you eat non food items)
Rachel
#2 of 6 Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 PM

In my experience, that's the kind of thing that an individual school, or possibly even an individual teacher, must decide. I've heard of kids with Aspergers going to Waldorf schools, but I don't know the details of those arrangements. Have you asked your local waldorf school their position on it?

Good luck!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#3 of 6 Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
A lot depends on the resources available at a particular school and the inner and outer resources of the teacher. If a school has large classes and cannot provide any extra support for the teacher, it simply won't work to add a child who needs extra help and attention.

I've known schools to accommodate children with special needs and also to turn away children with special needs. The schools I've known tend to make decisions on a case by case basis.

Good luck! I hope it works out.

Deborah
#4 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 10:39 PM

Yes, it depends on the school and the individuals running it. This is so vital to understand.

My son is borderline Aspergers (Dad has it) and he was shunned by the teachers, although the students loved him and thought he was funny in an innocent, silly sort of way. Many people that have been asked to leave a Waldorf school (that I know in my own world) have been asked to leave because they had special needs and the teachers were not trained to deal with it (I am a trained Waldorf teacher and this is not included in the Waldorf teacher-training training, although they might "bring it up" there is no training).

They thought it was appropriate to change his class (i.e. lose his friends) and then hold him back in Kindergarten (losing his new friends) just because of being too much of a comedian, and he couldn't focus in Eurythmy.

Blessings and all the best,
#5 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
The organization in the U.S. that trains teachers to work with children with special needs is:
Association For A Healing Education
Main Phone Number (248) 356-5003
USA
24228 EDGEMONT ST
SOUTHFIELD
MI
Email Address mjoresti@aol.com

Some of the schools I've been around had a circle of teachers who studied anthroposophical curative education together and were able to support children who needed special attention.

It doesn't sound to me as though Beansavi's school had the right resources, to put it mildly. This doesn't mean that the resources don't exist.

Deborah
#6 of 6 Old 02-04-2006, 10:35 AM

Hi Rachel,

I know quite a few homeschoolers who use Waldorf methods effectively with their Special Needs child. I agree with the others that in a school, it is all going to depend on the teacher. Here's a resource for supplemental curricula and ideas that you might try adding at home or suggesting to the teacher:

Children's Resource Center
http://crcjct.home.netcom.com/spiritedchild.html

I don't know how readily available their materials still are, but the Spirited Child part of the site is wonderfully informative. It deals with autism, though I haven't found a specific asperger's section; but you might write them for more help.

And here's the homeschooling group:

Waldorf Homeschoolers Special Needs
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Waldorfhmschspneeds

It would be a good place to find support and resources.

Best wishes,

Lucie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page