Wooden figures/animals (Ostheimer, Kinderkram, Holtztiger) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about getting some wooden animals / figures for my girls. Which one of the three companies do you like best? We have a few of the Ostheimers and I really like them. They are pretty pricey though. I haven't seen any Kinderkrams or Holtztigers IRL. I can get the Kinderkrams for fairly cheap (ahem) but I'm not sure I like the sharp edges that much. The Holtztiger look a little too bright and cartoonish, if you know what I mean. So which company is your favorite and why? Are there others out there?
#2 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 01:48 AM

I have some of the osteimer and I really love them: er I mean my dd really loves them...
I have also bought some on ebay from anne moze
if you search for wooden toys in the waldorf section of ebay hers will come up. they are lovely to play with.
#3 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:10 AM

I only have Kinderkrams (and quite a lot of them) and I them. We have a couple of their sets (farmyard animal, woodland animal, lion family - this is probably the nicest, quality-wise, rabbit family, snow white set - I think that last one is still Kinderkram but I'm not certain). Anyway, excellent quality, very nicely done. I love everything we have. I bought everything I have from atoygarden.com. Sonya is awesome - I'd highly recommend buying from her.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#4 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 02:28 AM

jalu! http://www.jalutoys.com/

hes a local man and makes the most beautiful wooden animals/toys..and i think that the prices are excellent considering how amazing they are!

i also like the ostheimer ones.. they are simple and beautiful.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 25 Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 AM

My little one has Holztigers and I think they are cuter than ostheimer (not overly cute-sy, just more appealing somehow) They are sturdy and great
#6 of 25 Old 08-16-2006, 03:37 PM

My favorites by far are Ostheimer. I love how simple they are without much detail on the face, and I love the finish (or lack of). Also, they seem to really capture the gesture of the animal instead of just the shape.
In my Waldorf classroom, I used only these. (And had to budget for them....they are pricey! Now I wish I could afford them as easily for my own daughter!!)
#7 of 25 Old 08-18-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern
jalu! http://www.jalutoys.com/

hes a local man and makes the most beautiful wooden animals/toys..and i think that the prices are excellent considering how amazing they are!
I think so too, those are beautiful!
#8 of 25 Old 08-18-2006, 04:38 PM

he sells them every year at the local waldorf school summer and winter faires and i always buy a few animals to add to our collection. i think i love them more than my kids do.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#9 of 25 Old 09-01-2006, 12:03 AM

We were given some Holtztiger zoo animals as a gift and they're playful and fun. They seem to have a lot of crossover appeal, in that I've seen them in more mainstream boutique toy shops as well. It's true that the colors are not as subdued as some of the other brands, but I'm not a stickler. I'm very happy with the quality, and the animals have a lot of personality.
#10 of 25 Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 PM

We have some Holtzingers because I initially found them cuter and really wanted them. But somehow, the two Ostheimers we have get played with more. The are gentler and more expressive and really grow on you. Now I like them so much better. Instead of just cute, they are captivating, beautiful, gentle, and do better in a range of play -- the kids just project more on to them, more personality and moods. We're asking for Ostheimer animals for Christmas this year, hoping we'll get some.

Astoria
#11 of 25 Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 PM

I just happened across this old thread when trying to find some pictures of kinderkram animals which someone had up for sale. Thanks for the analyses mamas!

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#12 of 25 Old 07-25-2007, 05:50 PM

we have some haba ones - a set of about 20 that cost about $10. They are nowhere near as nice as the other companies; they are each just painted a bright color - like a red hen, yellow duck, brown or black dog etc. DD has a lot of fun with them, but she prefers a larger more detailed set I found at a local store. Not sure what brand they are....

BTW - the wood figures are so amazingly ez to make we have found. All you need is a band saw or scroll saw. (about $100) Trace the design you want (we copy ones we like from catalogs or wherever) onto wood (scraps are ez to come by for free) with a pencil. Then cut out and sand and finish with some beeswax. Sooooooo much cheaper! If you want to try to copy the paint jobs on them, watered down acrylics work well.
#13 of 25 Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
BTW - the wood figures are so amazingly ez to make we have found. All you need is a band saw or scroll saw. (about $100) Trace the design you want (we copy ones we like from catalogs or wherever) onto wood (scraps are ez to come by for free) with a pencil. Then cut out and sand and finish with some beeswax. Sooooooo much cheaper! If you want to try to copy the paint jobs on them, watered down acrylics work well.
What a fantastic idea! I'm not sure about what kind of saws you mean as this is a whole new world to me, but we just bought a jigsaw! So i'll have to try that. GReat idea to trace an image onto the wood. Thanks!

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#14 of 25 Old 07-26-2007, 12:55 AM

The Snow White set is Kinderkram. We have that, too and it's precious!! I like that brand and would recommend.

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#15 of 25 Old 07-26-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
We did this (well, my dh did) using a scroll saw. We haven't painted them yet but did buy some non-toxic paints for it based on a rec. found somewhere around here. Can't remember the brand off-hand but I could go look tomorrow if anyone is interested. I know it's used by professional toy makers. Anyhoo, here's a pic of dh's first attempt. The trees are not his - just the non-painted figures in front (4 of them).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#16 of 25 Old 07-26-2007, 10:48 AM

What a beautiful pic! Wonderful animals (and trees), and such a sweet child. Inspiring.

so many roads to ease my soul...

#17 of 25 Old 07-27-2007, 12:34 PM

i like the ostheimer and kinderkram. the holztiger ones have smiles painted on their face and look to cartooney for us. BUT i do have the holztiger trees

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#18 of 25 Old 07-27-2007, 12:43 PM
kpb

so good to see some handmade ones--we're in the process and, due to time constraints, I was losing hope in their eventuality....now I feel reanimated and want to get my hands on that band saw!
MamaFern--love the tattoo!!
DH and I are due for our fourth and fifth come this fall (well, when I stop BFing I'll get mine).....good to see some beautiful artwork....also, wanna teach me how to knit? Or at least point me in the right direction....you seem to have it down PAT.
Beautiful children, everyone!
#19 of 25 Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 PM

I've started making my own too; after being inspired on MDC; I got my scroll saw at home depot for $40. Here is my first bear; http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50.../gnomes002.jpg

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#20 of 25 Old 07-29-2007, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Hey, that is pretty darn good! And it looks like a bear, too.
#21 of 25 Old 07-29-2007, 11:22 PM

wow that is really nice... maybe i can get one for holidays..
#22 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 04:05 AM

I have got to keep my 2 11 month-old big puppies from eating the good toys! Ack. They love to sleep with the kids and always find the one toy I didn't see to put up and they have a taste for wool and wood. They just find them sneak them and nibble all night until I find a pile of shavings in the morning.

I hope this will pass and bones are a good thing.
#23 of 25 Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 AM

yikes!!good to know! we are getting a puppy soon!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#24 of 25 Old 11-09-2008, 11:46 PM

I'd like to make my own as well. What wood do you recommend? Would pine be too soft?
#25 of 25 Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 AM

Looks like you bumped up an old thread...

I have been working on some figures to use for birthday ring pieces. I am using 1 inch (that's what they call it, but it is actually 3/4 inch) thick poplar. It is harder then pine, softer than maple, but has the nice narrow grain of maple. I cut them out with a scroll saw, and am shaping and sanding with a dremel tool. I plan on painting them with milk paint and sealing with beeswax.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page