Mothering Forum banner

Waldorf loving teacher in non-waldorf school?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  MamaSweetP 
#1 ·
Hi, since learning about Waldorf I have become a great follower. I have a 10 month old and we are trying to live a waldorfian lifestyle. In the next year I will have to return to work as a elementary music teacher. Unfortunately there are no Waldorf schools in my area. How can I incorporate the Waldorf teaching philosophy into a public school curriculum? Since I teach music most principals don't have the foggest what I do. As long as I turn in lesson plans and have the students perform, they're happy! My music curriculum goes across the board. So while the students are learning to sing a song they are also learning a dance from the same country or making instruments and even making quilts. I would love any ideas. Thank you

#2 ·
Excellent question! You are in the same boat I was in many years ago. Like you, I was a public school teacher (Early K and kindergarten) in a public school when I began researching, reading, and following the Waldorf education philosophy. It did change the way I taught from that point forward! First, read, read and READ some more about the Waldorf way.

You're lucky because as a music teacher, there is so much you can do to incorporate Waldorf teaching techniques into your classroom. First, the Waldorf teaching philosophy incorporates movement and rhythm into their music curriculum. Also, they use pure simple tones, you might want to look into using a children's harp or lyre in your class. Learn about "Mood of the Fifth" music and how to incorporate it into your curriculum. Also, children are taught to use a recorder.

There is a wonderful book called Spindrift printed by Wynstones Press that has an excellent introduction entitled "The Value of Music in the Life of a Young Child." Also, the book is filled with songs, stories and poems which you might find helpful.

Good luck and I hope you find renewed satisfaction and purpose in your teaching!

~ Kathryn

#3 ·
I am so glad to have stumbled upon this post!
I'm just beginning working towards my MEd in Elementary Ed. I actually want to go into the public school system, 1st or 2nd grade, and incorporate as much Waldorf as I can into the lives of my students. I believe that this wonderful philosophy should not be limited to those children who are lucky enough to have parents who can afford private, exclusive schools (nope, no chip on my shoulder there LMAO.) I'm very encouraged by the lead teacher and my cooperating teacher, and professors', attitudes, all of whom are quite emphatic that it can be done, that the SOLs tell us what we must teach, but do not prescribe how we are to teach it

I'm subbing to this and hope to read input from any others with ideas, suggestions or experience!
xoxo
Charlotte

#4 ·
I am a teacher in Virginia too! I'm in the very same boat. I try to incorporate much of what I've learned into my teaching, although it is VERY challenging in this standards driven state (I know it isn't just Virginia!). I try to do lots of painting, singing, oral story telling, etc...in my classroom, but I desperately want to send my children to a Waldorf school. Looking into all options at this time...I'd love to switch gears and become a Waldorf teacher but it doesn't seem realistic considering the $$ and time required (There are NO programs even remotely around here!). I use alot of the projects in Earthways to help in the classroom!

#5 ·
Hi Abby, thanks for your response!
Exactly what I'm hoping to do -- yes, it'll be a challenge, but one well worth it I think

As much as I can, I'll be keeping the environment peaceful, using manipulatives instead of screaming posters, kwim?
Please post if you have had any great success with one thing or another, or have a great idea . . . I'd love to be able to brainstorm and share ideas with you!
xoxo
Charlotte

#8 ·
Hi! Waldorf grad here.

I know that there are courses for public school teachers about incorporating Waldorf into their teaching. There may be some at the summer Waldorf institute that's held each year in Vermont, and I know there are some at Sunbridge College, which is is Sacramento, CA.

Good luck!
megin

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSweetP View Post
Oh wow, I had no idea! With 2, maybe 3??, kiddos, a summer in Vermont sounds fabulous . . . and totally fantastical LOL. But hey, "Where there's a will, there's a way" has become my mantra of late
:
xoxo
Charlotte
They have kids' programs!

megin

#11 ·
http://www.steinerinstitute.org/

They haven't put up next summer's program yet, but this will give you an idea of what they offer. The program includes child care (extra cost of course) and lots of other fun stuff.

If you are looking for classes that cover the curriculum for particular grades, you are better off going to Sunbridge College or Rudolf Steiner College.

http://www.sunbridge.edu/

The page for Rudolf Steiner College isn't working at the moment, but I'm sure you will be able to find it later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.