How is this "not religious"? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2006, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wish you healing, love, and the best education possible for you and yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Likewise! Thanks. I feel better already...
Old 11-26-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedsol View Post
Hi Mijumom.

For clarity, I don't disagree with you. I also know you are not alone and that continues to concern me. I'm deeply saddened by the shadow of Waldorf, and though I am involved with a school, I'm not in the dark with those shadows. I used to be. Some people leave Waldorf feeling worse than you, and that's simply not right. The condescending attitude is really hard to shake, I know. I've experienced that numerous times. I just want you to know I believe you. I revere anthroposophy, but there is no spiritual hierarchy or code that will prevent me from caring that some families are clearly feeling misled or leaving feeling looked down upon as though they are simply not "enlightened" enough to "get Waldorf." Ick.

For me, there is a richness in the curriculum that is brighter than the shadows. The beauty of the arts in the grades curriculum and the right fit for my kiddos fuels my desire to continue on for now. I re-evaluate ever year, and often play with the idea of starting a holistic charter in our area. It's a big job to take on, though!

If you ever do the holistic charter school, I think you would have a lot of takers. Unfortunately for us, WA state will not allow charter schools and the public keeps voting them down.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:43 PM
ivy

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention to you that I just asked my daughter ( she's in her last year of Waldorf kinderkarten) if she knew that verse and she said said "sure" and then sang it to me! I don't recall her ever singing that around the house. She said it was a game they played in school in the spring (which means either last year or this past fall) and that it wasn't just the first graders. So at least you know it wasn't isolated to your child's school
Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing that! I felt pretty certain it was a "Waldorf" thing (not random) because it involved three whole classes with three different teachers.

Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to mention to you that I just asked my daughter ( she's in her last year of Waldorf kinderkarten) if she knew that verse and she said said "sure" and then sang it to me! I don't recall her ever singing that around the house. She said it was a game they played in school in the spring (which means either last year or this past fall) and that it wasn't just the first graders. So at least you know it wasn't isolated to your child's school
Old 02-22-2007, 11:42 PM

I'm also very enamoured by the magic of Waldorf, but have to admit to being a little taken aback when they discussed "God lighting the stars" during my parent/tot class. I'm just not prepared to explain what "God" is to my (then)no even three year old. It is good to go into anything with your eyes wide open!

User Tag List