Quoted: 0 Post(s)
instead of giving out a goody bag containing stuff
like "plastic snowmen" and "holiday dora stickers"
i'd like to create little somethings for the kids in my
daughters preschool. many moms do the plastic party
favor type of gifts (it is a non-waldorf school). i know
i can skip the giving all together but since i enjoy
waldorf crafting and it is early i'm thinking i could
make a little treasure that my daughter could give.
recently i started making the wee folk dolls, and i
think making 15 of those might be a little ambitious?
maybe a little felted wool finger puppet? a snowflake
ornament made from twigs? i don't think dragon tears
would be good, because i'm afraid children not familiar with
them might consider them candy or something (they
are still only 3/4)

i'd love any ideas.
#2 of 6 Old 11-29-2006, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
little mice finger puppets, make a heart shaped pattern, cut grey wool felt, fold the heart in half, blanket stitch the open side closed leaving a finger sized opening. stitch eyes, a tail and whiskers w/ embrodriery floss and attach ears..........there ya go!
#3 of 6 Old 12-01-2006, 12:05 PM

The Magic Cabin catalog sells little party gift bags. I would look at what they put in them for ideas. I think they put those little paper balls you blow into and they inflate a bit, like a ball. They put it little wooden spinning tops. I forget what else.

I've given out punching balloons as favors. They're good fun sturdy balloons and just one is really enough of a party favor as it blows up to a big size and is a real toy.

I've also sewed beanbags with scraps of fabric I have around and filled them with lentils and a teaspoon of dried lavendar. Kids seem to treasure these cause if the smell and feel and its very basic sewing.
#4 of 6 Old 12-01-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
I've also sewed beanbags with scraps of fabric I have around and filled them with lentils and a teaspoon of dried lavendar. Kids seem to treasure these cause if the smell and feel and its very basic sewing.
That's a great idea! My mother used to make me bean bags which I loved. I haven't thought of those in years.

Just as an aside, since we don't live in the US anymore...
Do the kids hand out gifts to all the kids in their class every Christmas?? Is that typical?
#5 of 6 Old 12-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahsmummy View Post

Just as an aside, since we don't live in the US anymore...
Do the kids hand out gifts to all the kids in their class every Christmas?? Is that typical?
Gosh I hope not!!!! I love xmas but that could get really expensive! I'm already sort of feeling the pinch of being the least wealthy family in my parent child class. Never thought I'd let something like that get to me but it does feel kind of wierd : . Mini hijack...sorrry!:
#6 of 6 Old 12-01-2006, 03:13 PM

I have a couple ideas that wouldn't be a lot of work nor very expensive. One would be satin-ribbon bracelets, or fairy bracelets as the little girls here called them. You can get the bracelet rings at craft stores very inexpensively, something like 20 or 30 or more for less than $5 (there are a bunch in a plastic bag, don't know exactly how many). There is also a kind of cheapo-ribbon bin that has spools of the 1/4 or 1/8 inch ribbons in all different colors. You take three different colors together, take one cut through all three into 15 to 18 inch lengths, and just do a simple little "cow hitch" knot to the bracelet in the middle of the group of ribbons. You can make them very fast. If you think boys won't be interested in the bracelets, you can attach the ribbons on the end of a nice branch or dowel with a good glue. That makes a fun and pretty ribbon wand or flag.

Another idea is to make a kind of bird or butterfly finger puppet out of paper. Basically you just do the outline of the butterfly with a midsection wide enough for finger holes, cut it out, cut two finger holes in the thorax about 1 or 2ish inches apart, (trial and error for the best size and distance so it fits the child's hand), and color a pretty butterfly. You put your finger up through the bottom hole of the puppet and back down the top hole, so the butterfly kind of sits on top of the finger and flutters a little while you glide it around with your hand.

We've never had any gift exchanges with everybody in the class. In the grades, my children's classes had secret gift exchanges with just one student, name drawn from a hat. There was usually a limit of no more than $5 total, and the students were actually encouraged to do nice things besides give a physical present, such as copying a nice little poem and slipping it into their desk or surprising them by secretly decorating their desk with paper snowflakes for a day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page