Mothering Forum banner

DS begging for a remote control car!

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  spinspin 
#1 ·
I have tried redirecting my 5 year old and even let my dad buy a RC boat that Oscar used last summer but the rule has been only at grampa's. That was hard enough but the other day at the hardware store (What is it doing in a hardware store???!) he was glued to the display of 4 different cars, still in their boxes TG. He has suggested using some money he had from an aunty for his birthday to buy one (we've already spent the money on a pentatonic glockenspiel) but I don't know what healthy alternative will work here. Anyone else been through this? Any suggestions or alternatives?
Much appreciated.

#3 ·
Okay, don't take this the wrong way, but is there any way you can return the pentatonic glockenspiel and buy a remote controlled car? I mean, glockenspiel or car, glockenspiel or car, which one is going to be more fun to a five yr old, especially a boy? A glockenspiel, while appropriate, just isn't that FUN, IYKWIM. I dont think he would use it that much, honestly. We have one, and it is a lot less appealing than I had thought it would be. Makes pretty music, but nobody's sitting around playing it much. (That includes me and my hubby.) And I guess I don't really see what is inappropriate about a remote controlled car? It is electronic, I guess, but it isn't screen based or anything. I guess I just am envisioning him being disappointed at Christmas.
:

#4 ·
we lOVE our remote controlled cars... yes we have more then one... they race.. they jump.. they get muddy and dirty... we have demolition derbys... we also 'drive' the family around

they are great for boys to burn off energy ( bit hard on the batteries so id suggest the rechargable kind)

#5 ·
#6 ·
I told DH about this and while we are Waldorf-we both came to the conclusion that while a glockenspiel is great and would make a great addition to any instrument collection, he would be awfully dissappointed when he opens everything up and no remote control car is to be had. Yes he is 5 and will get over it, but at that age they harbor stuff for awhile and think, "Well, Papa Noelle must be mad at me," or whatever....and he may get mad that he didn't get to choose what he was going to get with his 'aunty money'. I knwo that is how my 4 1/2 year old is. While we moniter what she gets with her own money, we do allow her a lot of freedom for the most part. We are a little lax in our Waldorf-ness in that respect. It's the unschooling in us

It isn't screen based and think of it this way, maybe he will get REALLY interested in RC cars and he will have a hobby for lifelong and get into it like my DH-and then you have a bajillion minii= internal combustion engines laying around his bedroom....its a good learning experience in that respect, IMHO....

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terabith View Post
Okay, don't take this the wrong way, but is there any way you can return the pentatonic glockenspiel and buy a remote controlled car? I mean, glockenspiel or car, glockenspiel or car, which one is going to be more fun to a five yr old, especially a boy?
ITA!

And I hope you take THIS in the manner it is intended OP, but buying a 5 y.o. a pentatonic glockenspiel instead of a car, is just the kind of thing that caused my NFL raised BIL to become the " I can't buy ennough big boy "toys", can you believe my parents bought be a loom (yeah, I said a freaking LOOM) when I was 5 instead of the cool toy I wanted, No wonder I need therapy now and a job that pays me the big bucks" kind of man he is today!

#10 ·
I've just had a similar back and forth with my parents--my dad REALLY wanted to get ds a r/c car. I sort of went back and forth (do they make wooden ones? lol) but honestly it's just a fun sort of thing. I've seen ds play with his cousin's car and he totally runs around after it. So I said yes to my dad.

I also don't think it negatively influences his spirit or ability to use his imagination.

The pentatonic glockenspiel is a great "family" present.

#12 ·
Thank you all so much for responding, you've certainly given me somethings to think about. It will probably come up again but for now Oscar has forgotten about it, though maya44 you may be right- might this sort of thing lead him to a life of "boy toys" and therapy?
Dh has suggested that the two of them build a rubber band sprung car and boat which will be great but I'm still undecided about the car, I think I'll see if it persists. Having grown up in a family without boys i hadn't actually thought about ramps and creative play, that could be good fun. And Chfriend, I'll check out the track at heartsong.
I think the glockenspiel will stay, even if a small RC car comes later.

#15 ·
There is no Waldorfian Law! Please, do what's right for you. IMHO get the remote control car! They are fun!

Also, I have to say that my boys like Automoblocks (Automoblox...sp?) They are wooden cars that you can take apart and peice with others to make new and interesting cars. Totally WA (Waldorf Approved)!

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
Just want to say the from my perspective the advantange of the kit car at Hearthsong is that you build it together. So it has batteries, is plastic and metal etc., but you have the joy of constructing the plaything together.
Not Waldorfy, jus saw this in new posts, but man! what a great compromise!

#17 ·
I loved this thread, because I found all the advice to be realistic, in the vein of rules-are-made-to-be-broken!

So far, I've tried to view my role as exercising as much control and guidance as I can now while my DCs are toddlers. The older they get (and the more observant and out-there-in-the-world) the less control I'm going to have over their playthings. I think I'm going to have to find a way to be okay with that. For now, nobody is complaining that we have mostly natural wooden things. But if DS comes home some December and says "there's the coolest thing-- called Legos" then Santa is going to cheerfully produce them. I think.

I feel for the OP, because in some ways an RC car is limited as to its play uses-- there isn't much more it can do than drive around, is there? One would hope that DS, so heavily invested in getting one, wouldn't be bored with it after 20 minutes. This little worry encapsulates the experience of "inferior" toys-- helping DCs to make good decisions about the things they choose to spend their time and attention on. Perhaps some things need to be learned the hard way?

Again-- if this weren't a tough decision, it wouldn't make for such a good thread. Best of luck to OP and all of the other elves out there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.