Any education articles/research on Waldorf by non-Waldorf? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 3 1/2. I struggled last year over switching him out of his daycare/preschool (which is mostly excellent, Reggio-based but suffers from some focuses like pre-fab art projects, TV talk, cupcake parties, etc that I'm not fond of). I looked at and liked both Montessori and Waldorf but could never decide between them enough to make a decision, and out of inertia (and with a great teacher this year) stayed where we were.

I'm looking again now. Waldorf appeals a lot to me, particularly in their emphasis on creativity and the arts, as my son is a bit inflexible and perfectionist and I think it would do him good to break out a little. At 3 1/2, he dislikes coloring because he can't do it well enough! He has a terrific imagination, though, and I want him to thoroughly explore it.

But, I'm a scientist at heart, and I am concerned about the long-term aspects of his early education. I know the excellent research on Montessori-based education (and remember touring one as a child and being really pissed at my parents for not letting me go back to the "open school"). Most of the Waldorf stuff I've read have been by Waldorf teachers, etc. I'd love to read some articles by outsiders about Waldorf as well, to get an unbiased point of view.

On a side note (not to thwart the original thread intent), do any people have problems combining Waldorf education with a desire to teach practical matters as well? I love that my son is also interested in how the body works (we have a great new Usbourne book on it), and I don't see myself avoiding giving him scientific answers for things, even if I also teasingly talk about fun mythologies as well.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Here is an exhaustive list of studies about waldorf, some from within and some from without: http://hem.passagen.se/thebee/waldorf/links1.htm

Another source of interesting stuff is the Rudolf Steiner Library: http://rslibrary.anthroposophy.org/ as they have a collection of theses written by doctorate and masters students on various waldorf topics. Some by anthroposophists and some not.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:58 PM

I was impressed by the work of Dr. Jane Healy. She wasn't even aware of Waldorf Education when she began her brain research. It supports the ideals of Waldorf/media and is often in line with researchers like Joseph Chilton Peirce.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:30 PM

http://southerncrossreview.org/30/waldorf.htm

Schooling the Imagination
by Todd Oppenheimer

Todd was not an Anthroposophist when he wrote this article (I don't know what he is currently doing).
Old 01-06-2007, 11:50 PM

You could probably obtain this through your local library via interlibrary loan.

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Hom...00000b800380e6
EJ472515
Title: Coming to Know the World through Waldorf Education.
Authors: Uhrmacher, P. Bruce
Descriptors: Classroom Environment; Elementary Education; Nontraditional Education; Qualitative Research; Theory Practice Relationship; Waldorf Method
Source: Journal of Curriculum and Supervision, v9 n1 p87-104 Fall 1993
Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 PM

http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=798

Jean Piaget and Rudolf Steiner: Stages of Child Development and Implications for Pedagogy

by Iona H. Ginsburg — 1982

another one where full-text is obtainable...but not easily
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks -- I'll look these up. Starting to be more convinced that we should do this, at least for next year (DS will be 4).

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :

User Tag List