Lazure painting how-to? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-14-2007, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to Lazure our nursery and was wondering if anyone knows of any good resources for learning to Lazure? We have a local Waldorf teachers' college here, so I could probably pick up a book there or something, but I was wondering if any of you mamas who have done it before would share your wisdom, techniques and experience with me. TIA!
#2 of 3 Old 01-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
My experience is pretty limited. I remember special brushes that had a flat back with a handle and a lot of bristles pointing towards the surface. They looked a bit like the sort of brushes you used to scrub bathroom tiles, but with softer bristles. And then the movement against the surface was usually a figure 8.

The best way to learn the technique is to take a workshop. There are people who will come and teach a workshop and lazure a room at the same time. For example the Esperanza School (a school for developmentally challenged children and adults) set up a workshop. They paid a small fee to the lazure artists, each of the participants paid a fee and the school got their cafeteria redone, plus a lovely mural. About 15 people learned how to lazure. The workshop included some additional stuff I think, like meals and a couple of talks about art or something.
#3 of 3 Old 01-15-2007, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The pure lazure technique uses beeswax, tree resins, and is a multi step process that takes some time. I use the stockmar watercolor paint and flat glaze. If it gets to bright, I sometimes go over it with white pigment in glaze. I use a wide soft technique brush. You can get these at upscale hardware stores now. Unless you can get to a workshop and learn the official way, I would recommend just trying it out. The goal is less is more, and take your time!

Good luck, and let us know if you find other links/resources to guide you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page