Mothering Forum banner

FINALLY my waldorf playroom pics

157K views 640 replies 181 participants last post by  JudiAU 
#1 ·
New house playspace pics here: http://frontierdreams.blogspot.com/2...ls-corner.html
Can I say how much I don't like our old playspace set up, now that I see it after we moved?
:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------sorry it took me so long to post them. i thought id start a new thread for them. please tell me what i can do to imrove her room to make it more waldrofy.. i know i have to put up some playsilks or something on the back of her playstand to cover the backs of the computer,dvd players etc...

updated pics post 109
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...41#post8441841
updated again post 192
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=192

old pics:
playsilk on her canopy.the sky and grass

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_4453.jpg
heres the rainbow house i mentioned before:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_4454.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_4462.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_4461.jpg

RECAP OF EVERYONES PLAYRROMS HERE:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=402

See less See more
Reactions: aHikaru
#230 ·
Okay, I'm posting a 2nd set of playroom pics since we've now moved. Our new playroom is a much smaller space so there have been lots of changes.

Looking into the playroom

Left side - Play kitchen, nicer books (that we don't want the twins tearing up), and train table on the right. The basket on the left is filled with blocks.

Closet space being used for the puppet theater and houses all the dress-up clothes, some board games, puzzles, and nicer books. We also keep the playsilks in here.

Bookshelf - all bets are off on these books

Back corner - train table, part of our playstand (we could no longer fit the whole thing nicely
), doll bed, and bookshelf.

#231 ·
2+twins: that is stunning!

I have a cautionary tale about all those wishing to have playrooms: I spent an enormous amount of time setting up a small playroom using our third bedroom in our small apartment. 6 months ago I began with lazuring the walls. 3 months ago my dad made playstands for the kids for Christmas.

They hardly went into the playroom except to pull stuff out and a lot of toys were unused. They only spent time in there when I was in there. It was painful for me
I put so much love and energy into this room: it was also how we came be a waldorf inspired family. I thought my kids hated the toys. No, they just loved to play beside me and underfoot while I work in the kitchen, which as you all know, you spend the most time.

So, I hauled out the playstands and put them in the dining room, beside the kitchen, along with most of the toys. A lot of the big building blocks, and drift wood are still in the playroom turned office - toy room. Now my son actually uses all the wood and pulls everything out to build throughout the livingroom.

My office is beautiful
My diningroom looks like a playroom.
At least the toys look lovely
: We joked about putting the dining table into the playroom to turn it into the eating room.

So, if you don't have a playroom, maybe all you need is just some space cleared where you spend most of your days

#232 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi! View Post
2+twins: that is stunning!
:

Quote:

I spent an enormous amount of time setting up a small playroom using our third bedroom in our small apartment.
So you're going to post pics, right?

Quote:

My diningroom looks like a playroom.
And you'll post pics of that too, right?

#234 ·
mim! ~ I have quite a few friends with dining room's that our now playrooms!! We have a "dinette" (kind of a small dining room/eat-in kitchen area) that is our playroom. We moved our kitchen table into our living room (which actually feels so much better for eating because we have a nice Cathedral ceiling in there) and the kids play stuff is right next to me in the kitchen.

The other thing we did recently is that we got wireless internet and our laptop is on the kitchen counter. So now I can check e-mail or MDC (like r ight now
) and DD is right here with me playing. I don't have a seat so I tend not to get lost on the Internet....I'm more likely to JUST check e-mail or just look up a recipe. I'm finding this works much better then when I would try to steal away for a few minutes (which always ended up being much more than a "few" minutes) to get on the computer in our office.

~erin

#236 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
:So you're going to post pics, right?
And you'll post pics of that too, right?

Ksenia, our camera was broken at Christmas (by dd
) We'd love to have you over for tea and a play. Really, the former playroom is more of an office now and a block/driftwood storage room. The boys could build and the girls could wreck everything for them

#237 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mspastor17 View Post
Hi CounterGOPI,
I have a quick question for you...I apologize if you answered this for someone already...you probably did-like 5 times! Where did you get that sky/grass silk for your stand? And do they have others?
Thanks so much!
MP

http://www.sableandsilk-silkarts.com/store/Default.asp

:

#238 ·
Quote:

I thought my kids hated the toys. No, they just loved to play beside me and underfoot

So, if you don't have a playroom, maybe all you need is just some space cleared where you spend most of your days

YES! This is why I just recently switched the playroom into the bigger bedroom, and put my desk in there too. I work from home much of the time so I spend lots of time in front of the computer. And now my dd is spending all her time here with me, playing with her toys.

#241 ·
Quote:

Ksenia, our camera was broken at Christmas (by dd
) We'd love to have you over for tea and a play. Really, the former playroom is more of an office now and a block/driftwood storage room. The boys could build and the girls could wreck everything for them

#242 ·
Lovin' and subbin'!

You guys have created some amazing spaces! I'm so inspired! I noticed there is no large furniture in most of the rooms and right now that is one of my challenges.

The space I want to make over has so far been used as (gasp!!) a TV/video game room for my 17 year old stepson and my 9 year old stepdaughter. That's not what I want it to be but I don't know how to give my daughter what I feel she should have without upsetting my stepchildren (although the 9 year old would probably love what I turn the room into). Anyone have advice for me?

So far our room just has dd's table and chairs, toys/silks/wooden food/blocks in baskets, a large sectional sofa, a dresser with the tv on top, a rug, and a bookcase. I want to keep the dresser but not the sofas (I've had them since I was five years old). Here's a pic of our upstairs family room. Sorry they're so dark. It's night here and my camera's broken.

I also struggle with what my next purchase should be, considering the cash is really tight. I'm deciding between a major purchase (playstands vs kitchen vs dollhouse) or a few smaller purchases (puzzles, cash register, play food, etc.). Any suggestions on where to start? Should I just keep saving up for the big purchase or try to add a few smaller priced items first? I was hoping to get the kitchen/playstand by April for dd's 3rd bday.

#243 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by prophetmother View Post
Lovin' and subbin'!

So far our room just has dd's table and chairs, toys/silks/wooden food/blocks in baskets, a large sectional sofa, a dresser with the tv on top, a rug, and a bookcase. I want to keep the dresser but not the sofas (I've had them since I was five years old). Here's a pic of our upstairs family room. Sorry they're so dark. It's night here and my camera's broken.

I also struggle with what my next purchase should be, considering the cash is really tight. I'm deciding between a major purchase (playstands vs kitchen vs dollhouse) or a few smaller purchases (puzzles, cash register, play food, etc.). Any suggestions on where to start? Should I just keep saving up for the big purchase or try to add a few smaller priced items first? I was hoping to get the kitchen/playstand by April for dd's 3rd bday.
I would get the playstands. Here's my reasoning:
Your 9 year old could use them too to build houses, put on puppet shows, etc.
A kitchen can be added onto your playstand. Check out naturalpod.com for add on type sink and stove. You could make this yourself to add to the playstand

Playstands would organize your space

At 3, she may not use a dollhouse yet.

You could make playstands yourself for less $ if you had a few tools. Or perhaps your dad could (mine did
and I am thankful for it)

Check out threesisterstoys.com to see more ideas for room set up and play ideas for your girls.

Good luck and have fun!

#244 ·
prophetmother, I like mimi!'s ideas. Another idea that I have is getting the TV watchers cordless headphones so that children who want to play can do so without the distraction of background noise. It can make a huge difference in a multipurpose room that includes a TV.

#249 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
CounterGOPI your room is beautiful!! was that a small clothesline in one of your pics? My dd would go crazy for it if it was! Where did you find it?

ETA I found one!! and ordered one!!Yay!
yay! i got it for $2 at a garage sale.

#251 ·
Yay for this thread! I have A LOT of Waldorf essentals in my home, most of my home is Waldorfy! I am starting to paint our playrrom/homeschooling space Lazure. I starting a thread about it and will update it continually. I have no pics yet. .. Just discovered this treasure on mdc, usually I'm on the ttc boards. I remember you counter!!!!! I will try to post pics soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.