FINALLY my waldorf playroom pics - Page 19 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#541 of 641 Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymama View Post
These are actually photos of my DS's bedroom. You can see all the photos at once with explanations on our blog here, or separately:

Dresser
Plant and frame
Gnome
Growth chart
Mural
Beautiful!!! I want a forest mural in my room too! (well DD and I's room) lol I'm jealous! Where did you get your fabulous art prints from?

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
#542 of 641 Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymama View Post
My dad made them. He also made the crib, dresser, coat hanger, and rocking horse. And a rocker that is not in the picture. DS is lucky to have such a crafty Grandpa.
He is fortunate (and so are you!) It's nice to be surrounded with all that handmade love.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#543 of 641 Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenasMommy View Post
Beautiful!!! I want a forest mural in my room too! (well DD and I's room) lol I'm jealous! Where did you get your fabulous art prints from?
Thank you! The fairytale prints are from waldorf-toys.com, and the growth chart is from Nova Natural.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#544 of 641 Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 PM

What kind of plants are good for a playroom? Easy-care and can survive being around a 3 year old who is curious about plants?
#545 of 641 Old 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM

that is a good question! I don't know about bigger plants.. But I just bought a little garden kit for kids at Lowes. It has 4 little pots with soil and seeds. Its cute.. I am not quite a gardener yet (I want to be!). So this is just a little starting point for us lol

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
#546 of 641 Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM

I would say spider plants because they are hardy and non toxic and pretty!
#547 of 641 Old 03-10-2009, 06:52 PM

marigolds are also easy and fun for kids to grow.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#548 of 641 Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Just thought I would link to a few pictures of the play kitchen after my son worked on making lunch for us.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3391976...ol-waldorfplay

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3391976...l-waldorfplay/

I'm not in love with his pots and pans. They seem to get banged up really easily. He likes to bang on them with his spoons.

We've had to be super aware about picking all toys up - including felt food and such because we have a new puppy who is going through the chewing phase. We've lost a felt strawberry, wooden fork, and one of his bendable people to his dollhouse has a compound leg fracture.

Me:
#549 of 641 Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 PM

Aww, it's so sweet that he made you lunch.

I love his kitchen! Do you have more pics of it? It looks antique and so nice. I also love his little 'eating nook.' Where did you find that adorable table and chairs?

We have the pots and pans from Ikea and they seem to be holding up well, but we've only had them a month thus far.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#550 of 641 Old 03-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamavegan View Post
Aww, it's so sweet that he made you lunch.

I love his kitchen! Do you have more pics of it? It looks antique and so nice. I also love his little 'eating nook.' Where did you find that adorable table and chairs?

We have the pots and pans from Ikea and they seem to be holding up well, but we've only had them a month thus far.
Thanks! Since his play area is downstairs in the main living room we wanted items that wouldn't seem out of place with the rest of the area. (It's sort of how we stumbled upon Waldorf - natural, beautiful toys don't clash and look garish like most of the plastic ones.)

The kitchen was a craigslist find - It was $80 bucks I think. We sanded it down, replaced hardware and finished it with a beeswax polish. I've posted pictures on here before. I'll take some time tonight or tomorrow and see if I can find the links to them for you - or there are a couple more in my flickr stream. (People are probably getting sick of seeing them.) I know that I posted some of the in the "comprehensive play kitchen" thread.

My husband made the fridge. I think he did a beautiful job. Also finished with a beeswax polish.

The table and chairs were another craigslist find. $25 for all of it. There aren't any read identifying marks on them, but I think they were made by Lipper International. I can't find the exact model, but they have some that are similar on Amazon.

Me:
#551 of 641 Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwonamesalike View Post
Thanks! Since his play area is downstairs in the main living room we wanted items that wouldn't seem out of place with the rest of the area. (It's sort of how we stumbled upon Waldorf - natural, beautiful toys don't clash and look garish like most of the plastic ones.)

The kitchen was a craigslist find - It was $80 bucks I think. We sanded it down, replaced hardware and finished it with a beeswax polish. I've posted pictures on here before. I'll take some time tonight or tomorrow and see if I can find the links to them for you - or there are a couple more in my flickr stream. (People are probably getting sick of seeing them.) I know that I posted some of the in the "comprehensive play kitchen" thread.

My husband made the fridge. I think he did a beautiful job. Also finished with a beeswax polish.

The table and chairs were another craigslist find. $25 for all of it. There aren't any read identifying marks on them, but I think they were made by Lipper International. I can't find the exact model, but they have some that are similar on Amazon.
I personally am not getting sick of looking at your flickr pics and hope for many more
#552 of 641 Old 03-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the plant ideas mamas. I have herbs in my kitchen but I was afraid that she'd tear them up if I left on in her room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwonamesalike View Post
The kitchen was a craigslist find - It was $80 bucks I think.
What a great deal. I love our kitchen, but it's a smaller model without the shelves and whatnot, and it was like $150!! But I've learned to be creative, mounting shelves on the wall around it and using baskets for food storage so that the oven is open for play.

I especially love that little pocket on the side. Is it a mail box? Potato bucket? Trash can? Oh the possibilities!!
#553 of 641 Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
I especially love that little pocket on the side. Is it a mail box? Potato bucket? Trash can? Oh the possibilities!!

Currently it's the first place we check when the car keys go missing.

Me:
#554 of 641 Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Hi. We're still in the process of decluttering, but everything is here including a big old box of German goodies! I just have to share because I'm soooooo excited! Everything that came is soooo pretty that I felt a little sheepish about our home-made ones. They got a bit scruffy before I figured out how to seal the paint (I just used Mod Podge finally). But once they're all together, I like the combination! It's sort of homey and eclectic.

So here are the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30975615@N08/3363195393/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3097561...n/photostream/

I never ever thought I'd be able to provide something like this for my son. We are soooooo not well off. I won't say we're poor, but things are always tight for a variety of reasons. I thought toys like this were for rich people. But these will be around for my grandkids and by learning to use the scroll-saw and turning my sewing skills into a little cash to buy what I couldn't make -- and a whole lot of bargain hunting! -- we pulled it off! And my son loves it!

I will say that having EVERYTHING set up is cute in pics, but I think for a two year old it might be a little overwhelming, so I'm thinking I'll probably put some of the things on a shelf or in a basket so he can mix and match his adventures.

I do love the train table for the farm. I got the idea from one of the posts here. We've got enough room that he can get at it on all sides for 360 degree play! (And under it is a favorite place to look at picture books with the cat.)

So our playroom isn't done yet but I couldn't resist!!!!
#555 of 641 Old 03-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3901sca View Post
Hi. We're still in the process of decluttering, but everything is here including a big old box of German goodies! I just have to share because I'm soooooo excited! Everything that came is soooo pretty that I felt a little sheepish about our home-made ones. They got a bit scruffy before I figured out how to seal the paint (I just used Mod Podge finally). But once they're all together, I like the combination! It's sort of homey and eclectic.

So here are the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30975615@N08/3363195393/

I never ever thought I'd be able to provide something like this for my son. We are soooooo not well off. I won't say we're poor, but things are always tight for a variety of reasons. I thought toys like this were for rich people. But these will be around for my grandkids and by learning to use the scroll-saw and turning my sewing skills into a little cash to buy what I couldn't make -- and a whole lot of bargain hunting! -- we pulled it off! And my son loves it!

I will say that having EVERYTHING set up is cute in pics, but I think for a two year old it might be a little overwhelming, so I'm thinking I'll probably put some of the things on a shelf or in a basket so he can mix and match his adventures.

I do love the train table for the farm. I got the idea from one of the posts here. We've got enough room that he can get at it on all sides for 360 degree play! (And under it is a favorite place to look at picture books with the cat.)

So our playroom isn't done yet but I couldn't resist!!!!

wow! the animals you made are incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!they are so beautiful! what a beautiful play area you have for your little one. I can relate to you about the toys you have for your LO, we too aren't very well off (we don't own our own house for example, the UK for first time buyers in the south of England is terrible! so expensive) so we can't afford to go on holiday, we don't have an enormous food budget, we don't go to the cinema, we don't have take out food or eat out but the little bit of extra money we do have I like to splurge on the kids toys. The way i figure it is they're going to be played with for the next 8 years at least so i want them to be beautiful. I wouldn't like to add up what I have spent on toys though, the figure could be scary.

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#556 of 641 Old 03-18-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
wow! the animals you made are incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!they are so beautiful! what a beautiful play area you have for your little one. I can relate to you about the toys you have for your LO, we too aren't very well off (we don't own our own house for example, the UK for first time buyers in the south of England is terrible! so expensive) so we can't afford to go on holiday, we don't have an enormous food budget, we don't go to the cinema, we don't have take out food or eat out but the little bit of extra money we do have I like to splurge on the kids toys. The way i figure it is they're going to be played with for the next 8 years at least so i want them to be beautiful. I wouldn't like to add up what I have spent on toys though, the figure could be scary.
I didn't do all of the animals! Except for the chickens, the birds are all Holztiger. The little boy and bridge are Ostheimer. The little buildings are Holztiger. And the bunnies and trees are Holztiger. I made all the big animals though. (Copying Holztiger!!) The stuff we just got is sooo much prettier in person! I just love it! That's why the animals we did for Christmas lost a little glamour. But really, I could have never afforded all of those sheep and everything bought and it was a cool project to make them at home! Oh and the big horse is the fancy new Buntspecht one that rarely leaves my sons little hands since it arrived!
#557 of 641 Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM

It looks beautiful 3901sca! I don't blame you for not wanting to wait. I didn't know you had an etsy shop, would you mind PMing me a link?

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#558 of 641 Old 03-18-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't do all of the animals! Except for the chickens, the birds are all Holztiger. The little boy and bridge are Ostheimer. The little buildings are Holztiger. And the bunnies and trees are Holztiger. I made all the big animals though. (Copying Holztiger!!) The stuff we just got is sooo much prettier in person! I just love it! That's why the animals we did for Christmas lost a little glamour. But really, I could have never afforded all of those sheep and everything bought and it was a cool project to make them at home! Oh and the big horse is the fancy new Buntspecht one that rarely leaves my sons little hands since it arrived!

Don't worry I knew that! I meant the animals you did make are extremely good, they look so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you made them, I don't think i would be able too. It is all so lovely for your LO. I too didn't know ou had an etsy shop, can you PM me the link aswell?

by the way, a great way of making a few extra £ (or $ in your case) is e.bay....I'm e.baying all the stuff i decluttered and then everything i save in my paypal account I can spend on the kids toys (i bought a dollhouse this way and the stroller used some of that money too) it's a great way of recycling stuff i don't want anymore into money and buy stuff i DO want! seriously, baby stuff does so well on e.bay, like baby sleeping bags etc, plastic toys.......baby monitors........................... It's great!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#559 of 641 Old 03-18-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
Don't worry I knew that! I meant the animals you did make are extremely good, they look so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you made them, I don't think i would be able too. It is all so lovely for your LO. I too didn't know ou had an etsy shop, can you PM me the link aswell?

by the way, a great way of making a few extra £ (or $ in your case) is e.bay....I'm e.baying all the stuff i decluttered and then everything i save in my paypal account I can spend on the kids toys (i bought a dollhouse this way and the stroller used some of that money too) it's a great way of recycling stuff i don't want anymore into money and buy stuff i DO want! seriously, baby stuff does so well on e.bay, like baby sleeping bags etc, plastic toys.......baby monitors........................... It's great!
I'm decluttering plastic toys and baby stuff (whatever my sister doesn't want) at a big kids consignment sale next month! Super easy! And whatever doesn't sell, they'll pack off to the charity shop if I don't feel like picking it up again! And we have an active craigslist around here too. And what doesn't go there, we have a free-cycle. Doesn't make me money, but someone that needs it comes to get it!! I just need to find time to finish up. I bought lots of baby stuff on ebay too, so I'll probably do that for a few things.
#560 of 641 Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I'm decluttering plastic toys and baby stuff (whatever my sister doesn't want) at a big kids consignment sale next month! Super easy! And whatever doesn't sell, they'll pack off to the charity shop if I don't feel like picking it up again! And we have an active craigslist around here too. And what doesn't go there, we have a free-cycle. Doesn't make me money, but someone that needs it comes to get it!! I just need to find time to finish up. I bought lots of baby stuff on ebay too, so I'll probably do that for a few things.
Can I tell you that's how we bought some of our pricier toys last year? I did 2 big phases of decluttering and between the 2 of them made over $1500... Of course it was a major time commitment listing them online w/Craigslist and our local parents network AND arranging times for people to come over, but it was soooo nice to have the extra $$ right before the holidays and all the extra space!

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#561 of 641 Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 AM

THANK YOU, everyone, for posting pictures of your kids w/ their toys! It really helps me to get an idea of what size the toys are. I hate that most toy sites list the size of the toy, but have no pix w/ kids. Some of the barns, doll houses, and figures are much bigger than I have been imagining. I was looking at the stacking gnome tree house the other day (this one: http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1673 ) and realized it is only 15 inches tall, stacked. That seems way smaller than I am picturing. Does anyone have this toy, could you let me know? Many of the fancy toys are much smaller than I have pictured & I have been disappointed on occasion when receiving an eagerly-awaited for package.

I would post pix of our area, but it is only a non-exciting baby area. I can't wait to set up our actual play room when dd is older, it's gonna be awesome!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#562 of 641 Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

bump

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#563 of 641 Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 PM

dogretro, it's funny that you mentioned being surprised by toys being smaller than what you'd imagined - I had the same exact reaction when we started buying European-made toys. My dh and I have had a few interesting conversations about it.

I'm probably extrapolating and thinking way too hard on such a silly subject, but I think the reason we're surprised by the the small size is that most of the plastic toys are so BIG here. They are huge monsters made for the mainstream American lifestyle - everything is big! Huge houses, huge cars, and huge toys to go in those huge house and cars.

A happy woman
#564 of 641 Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post
THANK YOU, everyone, for posting pictures of your kids w/ their toys! It really helps me to get an idea of what size the toys are. I hate that most toy sites list the size of the toy, but have no pix w/ kids. Some of the barns, doll houses, and figures are much bigger than I have been imagining. I was looking at the stacking gnome tree house the other day (this one: http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1673 ) and realized it is only 15 inches tall, stacked. That seems way smaller than I am picturing. Does anyone have this toy, could you let me know? Many of the fancy toys are much smaller than I have pictured & I have been disappointed on occasion when receiving an eagerly-awaited for package.

I would post pix of our area, but it is only a non-exciting baby area. I can't wait to set up our actual play room when dd is older, it's gonna be awesome!
It's funny that you should say that, because reading the sizes of the dollhouses and stuff, I was thinking they seemed big to me. 15 inches is not small for a toy. Especially when you are around 3 feet high. Some of my favorite toys as a child were the tiny ones. I think a lot of the toys these days are so huge, because of the safety hysteria concerning children's toys.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#565 of 641 Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 PM

I also wanted to say that I've looked through this whole thread and your places are beautiful. I also wanted to encourage people to make their own toys. Wood is pretty cheap. The lumber place will cut it to size for you, and with a little elbow grease (and a few tools) you can easily make beautiful toys, that are even better because they are handmade by you. Check out this kitchen I made. I used a drill and a $30 jigsaw, though I could have used a hand coping saw, it just would have taken longer. Before Christmas of this year, I had never made anything, now I've made tons of stuff, and can't wait to make more.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#566 of 641 Old 05-06-2009, 02:19 AM

That's a wonderful kitchen! Good for you, mama!
#567 of 641 Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 AM

Wow, sweetpeppers. Are you selling on Etsy?
#568 of 641 Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
Wow, sweetpeppers. Are you selling on Etsy?
I am, sort of. I have a page, but haven't really put much on it yet. My camera is dead, and I can't find my charger.

#569 of 641 Old 05-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Has anyone seen this playroom/bedroom on Apartment Therapy.

The toys and accessories aren't exactly Waldorfy, but I LOVE the concept - the wood built ins with castle theme, staircase, stage, and pull out trundle bed. Would love to see something like this done with less pink and a more Waldorf flavor.
#570 of 641 Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 PM

my goodness. i need to either learn how to make stuff out of wood (cuz i think i'd make some really nice stuff if i knew how or had the right tools!!!) or get some nice stuff used. i can't afford to buy much. hmmm. now i'm inspired to make our home more waldorfy.

how come, does anyone know, the kindergarten and preschool classrooms have those short wide wooden tables but the first grade does not? is this a size/height thing they do on purpose? i've seen it in all early childhood waldorf classrooms...there must be a reason mind/heart/soul. hmmm. i have a really neat coffee table in storage that would be so awesome for this. but what would i use as a green and naturally derived 'varnish'? hmmm. lavendar oil???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page