FINALLY my waldorf playroom pics - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 641 Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be View Post
Don't know if anyone has replied to this yet, but depending on where you live, you can get salvaged flooring from old houses that are being torn down, or barn boards. Check ebay too...you'd be surprised!

Thanks I guess I never thought of that. We easily can get wood but it would have to be milled first which costs mola$$$.
Thanks for the idea.

Renee
#62 of 641 Old 05-17-2007, 05:05 AM

Our living room is the play area, but it's very much a work in progress. We're in a Dharma co-op, so at least we'll have playsilks soon

The pictures of the playrooms here are very inspirational however. I'd love to see more
#63 of 641 Old 05-17-2007, 08:55 AM

Very inspirational and all very nice! It's nice seeing how special these playareas are and how much love has been put into them to provide for your children.

Can't wait to see more also
#64 of 641 Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
JAL

Beautiful spaces! thanks so much for sharing! We have a tiny tiny house right now so dd playroom is outside!
OP can you tell me where you got your kitchen set, looks so cute and love the pots and pans!

Thanks!
#65 of 641 Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Does anyone here have boys?!

I swear, every playroom picture I see anywhere is feminine with cute little girls flitting around dolls with pastel colors everywhere. I would love to see more pictures or ideas for boys. I have a five year old who dislikes pastel colors and is into skeletons, magic, pirates, and medieval type of things. I would love one of those canopy things but again, something that is boy friendly and doesn't cost $100. Plus, I see fewer ideas for boys. I know all about baskets with open ended nature things but what about other toys and ways to decorate a boy's room inexpensively who isn't into frilly frou frou things, haha.
#66 of 641 Old 05-24-2007, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
My grandson likes his wooden train set. Blocks. Books. Cars and trucks. He doesn't mind having a few stuffed animals and gnomes around, but he relates to them differently than his big sister. Today I suggested that he read a story to one of his dolls. "Dolls are just stuffed toys." End of discussion. On the other hand, he is really good at pretending to cut the grass with his toy lawnmower.

He also likes puzzles, his marble game (slanted things that marbles run down and down and down) and absolutely anything mechanical. He is almost 4.

As to decor, he shares a room with his sister, so he is used to frou frou, because she is about as frou frou as they come. He currently sleeps under a quilt I made for her, which is entirely made of pink prints. He hasn't caught on yet that pink is for girls

So, for decor, why not just use colors that he likes, have him paint some pictures of stuff he finds interesting to hang on the wall--pirates are fine if he paints them himself rather than buying a media linked poster--and perhaps get a bed covering and curtains that have a theme he likes. You might have to shop around a bit to find something that isn't "licensed" and linked to a movie, TV show, or other product. I hate the system that makes us pay to advertise their junk!
#67 of 641 Old 05-24-2007, 10:14 PM

I have 2 boys but they're only 13 months right now, so our "girlie" playroom (which I attempted to keep fairly gender neutral in color) is fine with them. I guess we'll see how things change as they grow.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#68 of 641 Old 05-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Banned

pixiewytch,
Why don't you just use his toys and mix them with the baskets? Magic, pirates and medieval type of things are great open end play and it is fantastic that he plays with all these type of things! I think as long as it is not media branded, as Deborah mentioned, it is perfect and fits right in with all the Waldorfy playrooms!
My ds is not at that age yet, but I will try to incorporate all that stuff you mentioned as well as marbel runs, wooden trucks and wooden gears etc.

Regarding paint job in his room, I used bright yellow on two walls and light green on the other two with a light blue to frame the windows and doors (not baby blue or green colours just light!), he has light denim style curtains and a large bookselve which holds mostly books and some toys,....oh and a simple art easel (from ikea for 15 dollars). The rest of his toys (which are not many) are in the living space as he spends most of his time with us down there.

You are right in regards that most picks of playrooms you find are for girls! I had a previouse thread regarding similar concerns, especially the playstands,...in the end we got them and we will most likely make them look like a pirate ship when the time comes!
#69 of 641 Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 AM

Glad I'm not alone, haha. Well, unfortunately we already have the pirates of the caribbean themed room. They were all xmas gifts and since he received it so recently I can't exactly get rid of the "Jack Sparrow" stuff yet.

I'm still majorly overhauling the toys though. Several garbage bags full have already gone to the salvation army so I figure if the bedding is the only "commercial" thing I have to deal with I'll be okay.

He loves blocks, cars, marble runs, and things like that...definitely great suggestions...now if only I can find some pictures for inspiration.
#70 of 641 Old 05-25-2007, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Yeah, I wouldn't be so purist as to throw out perfectly good bedding, either.
#71 of 641 Old 05-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Thanks for posting your photos - I've started This Thread to try and get ideas for our play spaces in our home...
Your photos are helpful!
#72 of 641 Old 05-25-2007, 09:54 AM

Where in Vermont is the Magic Cabin outlet? I wasn't able to find any info on Google. :P Thanks!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#73 of 641 Old 05-25-2007, 10:15 AM

: I would love to know too.
#74 of 641 Old 05-25-2007, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

i dont know where, they didnt tell us when they left it should be open by now i would assume though, look for plow and hearth thats the actual name of the outlet but they own magic cabin so they carry their things in the outlet

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#75 of 641 Old 05-25-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#76 of 641 Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 PM

that is gorgeous! i love it!
#77 of 641 Old 05-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

I e-mailed Magic Cabin and this is what they replied to me:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

We sincerely apologize for not responding sooner to your e-mail. Unfortunatly we do not have any Stores for Magic Cabin. All the information we have still informs us order can be placed only two ways on line or over the phone.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance."

So I guess there is no outlet after all,...what a shame!
#78 of 641 Old 05-27-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

you have to call PLOW AND HEARTH and ask them about their outlet,its not a magic cabin outlet so they wouldnt know.

#79 of 641 Old 05-28-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMountainMomma View Post
that is GORGEOUS! Your little ones are very lucky!

Where did you get the flower ABC cards?
I found some here and they are on sale! http://www.magiccabin.com/magiccabin/product.do?section_id=6&bc=1004&pgc=1074&sv=333530 &cmvalue=MCD|6|SALE%20COLLECTIONS|333530|333530-P1
#80 of 641 Old 05-28-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL View Post
Beautiful spaces! thanks so much for sharing! We have a tiny tiny house right now so dd playroom is outside!
OP can you tell me where you got your kitchen set, looks so cute and love the pots and pans!

Thanks!
I can answer as we have the same kitchen at our house. It is from Target and the kids love it.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000CCXF7G

Target also sells brown wooden eggs that have the same heft as the brown eggs that we buy and when my husband came home one day and saw them scattered on the floor, he assumed i lost my marbles and let the kids play with the real eggs
I'm all for letting the kids get dirty and play wiht what they want to play with but even I draw the line at real eggs in the living room
#81 of 641 Old 05-28-2007, 10:44 AM

All the rooms are so beautiful!

CounterGOPI~ where did you get your dolly stroller? I've been looking for one; I hope its not over $100!

I have a 4yo boy and we have a semi waldorf playroom; unfortunately, our camara is on the fritz... but ..
I made shelves by using pine boards and concrete pavers stacked up... on it we have lots of wood cars and trains, a basket of seashells, a bag of animals.
We have another little wooden shelf with instruments, baby's toys, buckets, marble run...
we have a wooden kitchen and fridge with wool and crochet food.

We have a small kids table and chairs. We have a garden canopy but I took the flowers off to play with. we have a wood tree house with bears that live in it; and sometims knights and pirates, we have a wood pirate ship and island; these all live on the floor.

We have a rack I made by taking a small wood board, painting some clothes pins rainbow colors and glueing them on; this holds our playsilks and dress up clothes; pirate hats, eye patch, wooden sword, chefs hat and apron..
we have a small book shelf also. We have a shelf by the window with crystals and plants on it.

We live in a log cabin so the playroom is in the loft; the walls are all wood, so we cant paint them, but they are right next to the BIG triangle window you see in cabins so the room is full of natural light.

Hope that helps. I wish I could post pics!

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#82 of 641 Old 05-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Sunanthem, that sounds lovely. It sounds like you probably have more room than I do. We don't really have a separate playroom after all, just his bedroom...

I like the idea of glueing the clothespins for a little rack. I was trying to think of a way to hang up his costume clothes and now I think I found it. Thanks.
#83 of 641 Old 05-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

I was going to say the same thing sunanthem, that is a great idea with the clothespins!
I will use it as well if you do not mind me copying the idea!
Thank you!
#84 of 641 Old 05-28-2007, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunanthem View Post
All the rooms are so beautiful!

CounterGOPI~ where did you get your dolly stroller? I've been looking for one; I hope its not over $100!

I have a 4yo boy and we have a semi waldorf playroom; unfortunately, our camara is on the fritz... but ..
I made shelves by using pine boards and concrete pavers stacked up... on it we have lots of wood cars and trains, a basket of seashells, a bag of animals.
We have another little wooden shelf with instruments, baby's toys, buckets, marble run...
we have a wooden kitchen and fridge with wool and crochet food.

We have a small kids table and chairs. We have a garden canopy but I took the flowers off to play with. we have a wood tree house with bears that live in it; and sometims knights and pirates, we have a wood pirate ship and island; these all live on the floor.

We have a rack I made by taking a small wood board, painting some clothes pins rainbow colors and glueing them on; this holds our playsilks and dress up clothes; pirate hats, eye patch, wooden sword, chefs hat and apron..
we have a small book shelf also. We have a shelf by the window with crystals and plants on it.

We live in a log cabin so the playroom is in the loft; the walls are all wood, so we cant paint them, but they are right next to the BIG triangle window you see in cabins so the room is full of natural light.

Hope that helps. I wish I could post pics!
when your camera is up and running post pics! sounds beautiful!!!!

we got our stroller from nova natural, i htink itwas about $40 with free shipping too

#85 of 641 Old 06-08-2007, 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone for posting pictures! They've inspired me too!

Recenlty I sprained my ankle and can't walk; my mom's been doing the cooking and cleaning (I'm sooooo thankful!), so I've got little to do but think about rearranging my home

This is what I've done. Its still a work in progress, as ds, 4yrs., doesn't play in all the spaces, so I'm still thinking about why, what to do, what to throw away, donate, sell on consignment, and encourage him to play.

Ds' room. He doesn't use this unless I'm in the net with him. But what I've done is get this from Ikea (awhile ago) for $10. I cut some felt leaves and safety pinned them on. In the centre hangs a papermache lantern we made last fall. The wooly on the floor was dd's until she crawled off it and I put it in there. I bought that at a garage sale along with the fabric play castle, with puppets inside, which is also not used by ds A painting by ds hangs on the wall. The blue's clues theme, I'm not allowed to remove. . . yet. . .

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/IMG_2011.jpg

and the shelf beside:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/IMG_2009.jpg

nature table. A nest with beeswax eggs, and a construction site of twigs and rocks (were surroned by construction, so its 'nature' right )

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/IMG_2006.jpg

House play with bendy dolls. Ds received birthday money from the grandparents, so this is what I got him. We created a barn in the bottom which is great since I just got rid of the fisher price barn/farm, which was hardly ever used!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/IMG_2007.jpg

kitchen: not really used by ds, although dd likes to chuck pots and pans. Does it need something to keep ds interested? The stove is from a kids consignment shop and the shelf - soon -to-be-fridge once we put doors on it, was my brother's as a kid.

art area: I love the idea of lazure, but can't do my walls, so, here are ds' framed watercolors beside a shelf I painted last summer, and bought for $10. The table my parents found.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...1/IMG_2004.jpg

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#86 of 641 Old 06-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Wow, they are all so beautiful-lucky kids!

It's really rare here to actually have a playroom as the properties are so small. We have a play corner in our livingroom and my daughter's bedroom is set up for play as well.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow to post them.

Thanks so much for all the inspiration I have had from all of your gorgeous photos!
#87 of 641 Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 PM

very nice pictures. That dollhouse is sooo pretty and everything looks so organized but in a lived in kind of way. Thanks for sharing.
#88 of 641 Old 06-09-2007, 07:11 PM

OK, I've got some pictures as well now.
We don't follow all the "rules" of Waldorf decor but I have tried to create a comfortable, soothing, child friendly home using as much natural stuff as possible! The one consolation to more mainstream type toys is Duplo which my daughter adores. We have animal sets and forest flower people.
We've been a Waldorf family from the begining so we've never had to get rid of much that was innapropriate as we have never bought noise making, light up, one purpose stuff. I think we are also really lucky that our friends and family have had no issues with this at all and are happy to go with the philosophy where gifts are concerned.

We have two rooms that are the main play areas, my daughter's room and the living room.
Here is my daughter's room with her in it LOL! She's standing next to her dresser where she keeps her "special stuff" on display-her May Day crown, a muslin doll I made for her, my teddy from when I was a baby, a felted ball she was given in Istanbul, photos of her family...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...nahsroom-1.jpg

I wanted to create a little private comfy area for her to read or play or whatever. So, this is her cozy corner where she has be baby blankets, pillows and some play silks.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...cozycorner.jpg

Her window (we are awaiting new curtains). It's hard to see in the photo but it's got her pots of veggie sprouts on the sill and hanging in the window are her rainbow making prism, a tissue paper star, a felted bird and a tiny dream catcher. Under the window is her wooden rocking horse. Also, we've planted her vegetable and flower garden so she can see it right out her window.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...omwindow-1.jpg

Bookshelf, special animals, stereo as she LOVES her music-mostly world music and the bed with a net and butterflies.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ahsroombed.jpg

This is her shop/restaurant/kitchen in the living room. It's got her cash register, basket of play silks, baskets with felted food, knitted food, stainless steel pots and pans, ceramic dishes and tea sets and cotton shopping bags.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...esmom/shop.jpg

Thanks for looking!
#89 of 641 Old 06-09-2007, 11:21 PM

What a cutie!!!!
#90 of 641 Old 06-10-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikethedesert View Post
What a cutie!!!!
Thanks! We like her too

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page