FINALLY my waldorf playroom pics - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 641 Old 06-14-2007, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a little jealous of that playroom! lol
It looks absolutely wonderful, I wish I had the space and the money to do that! Thanks for sharing the photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 641 Old 06-14-2007, 05:33 AM

Beautiful rooms thanks so much for sharing!
#93 of 641 Old 06-14-2007, 07:16 AM

Cute Cute Cute !!!!!!!!

Question.......where did you get that adorable wooden cash register ???
#94 of 641 Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

which pics are you referring to?
my register is a haba one

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#95 of 641 Old 06-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Mimi, is the first photo a picture of an Ikea canopy? We just got the same one (with leaves on it) from Ikea and I'm going to set that up in their room (when we re-do the guest room in a few months) with a gigantic wooden dollhouse under it. I stole that idea from the local Waldorf kindergarten classroom.

These pictures are all so beautiful! I'm so inspired!

An incredibly thankful SAH Mommy to 3 fiendishly enchanting girls 11/04,10/05, & 12/06. 

#96 of 641 Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCFD View Post
Mimi, is the first photo a picture of an Ikea canopy? We just got the same one (with leaves on it) from Ikea and I'm going to set that up in their room (when we re-do the guest room in a few months) with a gigantic wooden dollhouse under it. I stole that idea from the local Waldorf kindergarten classroom.

These pictures are all so beautiful! I'm so inspired!
nak!
yup, its from ikea and a great bargin at $9.99. thats a great idea to move a house under it! i think i'll try that for tomorrow, thanks!

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#97 of 641 Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllGood View Post
Cute Cute Cute !!!!!!!!

Question.......where did you get that adorable wooden cash register ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
which pics are you referring to?
my register is a haba one
LOL, not sure if it's mine either but mine is from:
http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/

It's a British site so, not sure if available in the US.
#98 of 641 Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 PM

I just found this thread and I'm soooo excited! Thanks mamas! We're moving in a few weeks and we have a very large bedrrom for the children to share, but no playroom, so it will double, but I think there's adequate space. When it's done, I'll post some pics.

Plan:

1) Cover walls with 'fabric and starch' technique because we can't get ecopaints on time and I don't want them breathing in latex off-gas. I'm doing the fabric because their room is a terrible dark blue-grey dingy-dungeon-like colour (yuck...).

2) Play stand like set-up, homemade and against the wall with shelves on each side like the typical playstands. There are two high wooden shelves there already, so I'll work with those as part of the 'ceiling' and then add a curtain rod across the 'front' so they can pull the silks across like a tent. I guess it's a playstand crossed with a playtent

3) Prayer cubby (ds1's request- he's very spiritually inclined, always has been) in a strange sort of closet loft thing in their room. It's up about three feet from the floor, so we'll put a short ladder and if anyone falls out, they'll land on their pallet bed right next to it. There are two shelves in there and all three dc can fit at once up there. I'll have another cut=rtain rod there with silk to cover, religious objects and icons, probably. We'll rely heavily on what he would like in there since it is such an intimate space for him (we're christian and we've de-institutionalised, but ds has become increasingly upset about not having a 'special place' to pray on his own, so we want him to have that).

4) Shutters inside the windows or panels that open out like shutters because it begins to be light at 4:30am and I'm not loving waking up at that time , so I thought I would use those for seasonal pictures or maybe make them out fo felt so they can put felt cut-outs up as they choose.

5) Possible a murphy kitchen/workshop, as in folds away from inside their giant closet to outside- I may just remove the door and use the bottom for a kitchen/workshop. This will also be homemade.

I have a lot of work to do I've removed about four garbage bags of toys from their possessions and they are already showing greater creativity in their play and longer attention spans- we never had more than one electronic toy, but we've had far too many toys altogether.

To the mama who wrote about pine plank flooring- I saw a show about home decor (years ago-we haven't ever had cable) and in it the woman just used the subfloor and her dremel to cut grooves into the plywood which made it look very real! I was sceptical about it at first, but it really did look great afterward. If you draw your lines and just go along with the dremel, then paint it however you like (with ecopaints and ecofinish if you can and want to - the other floor stuff is just so toxic, imo), you'll have a beautiful, functional floor without mites! I bet you could google the demo for this exact project. Ah hah! I found it...http://www.homeenvy.com/db/1/221.html I know I saw some better pictres of it though... Anyway, you could do it!

Please keep posting pics!

Question: I love the rooms posted here. I noticed that there are a lot of toys out at a time. How do your children find that? Do the toys end up all over the floor and left, or does the environment tend to be conducive to selective play; or are your children just more prone to selective play? I've been planning to have far, far fewer toys out for our dc because I find that they will just scatter everything around and then not play, but if I just put out a small selction of various toys- enough for each to play with three or four things at a time- they play so much better. I think our room will have a large strorage and turn-over component (top shelves in closet). What has been your experience?

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#99 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Banned

Regarding the toy question, we have about 9 different toys out at once, they include musical instruments, books, a shephard with sheep, playsilks, wooden blocks, some stones and seashells, a few felted balls, a couple of cars and a truck, some crayons and a teddy bear.
I like it when he has a choice to play with what he wants during the day, a couple of toys may get scattered but before nap time and bed time he puts them away, so there is never really any mess left anyway. Kids also like to play in the "mess" sometimes as they make up new games as they go along, so I do not mind.
#100 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 01:58 AM

Those are beautiful rooms! But I am so confused... Do any of you have very spirited children? I would love to put something together for my kids but it would be destroyed in like 10 seconds. Do the rooms always look so put-together? I so admire the space, please just tell me how it works.
#101 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
At my daughter's house things get very messy when the children are playing, sometimes incredibly messy. But every single item has a place where it goes, so cleaning up can be done fairly quickly and methodically. My grandson actually enjoys tidying, especially with me, because he gets to tell me where things go, and then trot around putting them there. So I think the key is for every type of item to have a particular place.

Some examples: the felt balls all go in a nice basket, which stands on one of the playstands. all the dolls get tucked into the doll beds and covered up with little blankets. the blocks go into boxes and a basket (two different kinds). The bigger wooden trucks have a little garage at the bottom of the stereo stand (where records used to go, back when there were records). the silks are all folded into a nice lined basket. the stuffed animals go into the former baby bassinet, except for the bedtime favorites who live in a bed and gs tiger who lives in a "cave."
#102 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM

And what about olders? all this great for my 3 and will be for 9mo, but how do you do things for a 6/7 yo girl?
#103 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

our dd's nickname is chubzilla, she destroys her room all the time,i let it get messy and then i pick it up 3 times a day :

#104 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Here is our playroom, I do home daycare... I love the playstands. I think I might get on of those.

http://flickr.com/photos/90746181@N0...13020131/show/
#105 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

wow home daycare!! thats great!!
are you looking into learning more about waldorf playrooms?

#106 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

BTW mamas, i have new pics to add! we got rid of that horrible fake wood book case and got this beautiful amish made pine one shaped like a barn we also now havea real nature table in her playroom! pics coming soon!

oh and i listened to wonderful mam on here and moved dd's play kitchen up to our kitchen and she loves to cook while i cook we sold the target ones hthough and bought one from willow toys, its so beautiful!!

#107 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
our dd's nickname is chubzilla, she destroys her room all the time,i let it get messy and then i pick it up 3 times a day :
That's hilarious! And cute.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#108 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
wow home daycare!! thats great!!
are you looking into learning more about waldorf playrooms?
I just started learning.... I am getting ready to move and will have a MUCH bigger space, so I'd like to set it up a little better than I have it now. I will also need to buy some more materials.
#109 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

ok heres some updated pics:

her new bookcase-
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_5123.jpg

her nature table-
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_5125.jpg

her kitchen in our kitchen-
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_5127.jpg

and i just had to show off her wool felt cookies made by polkadotdragon on hyena cart they are soooo sweet!
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_5128.jpg

#110 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 05:08 PM

Where did you get that bookshelf? It is gorgeous!
#111 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

a local unfinished wood store in VA called good wood. its an amish bookcase so im assuming you can get it elsewhere too

i forgot to add whats inside her playstand now instead of the kitchen:
a barn and her snack table

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_5130.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_5129.jpg

#112 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 05:33 PM

These rooms are AMAZING!!!! I feel so inspired. We're saving for a set of playsilks a playstand for Christmas. My dad built a wooden picnic table for our kids but I just need to sand it and paint it or stain it. Which would be more "Waldorfy"? I was thinking a nice sagey green or shabby-chic off-white. We also have a TV stand that is made of oak that we picked up at a yard sale for $10.00 years ago. Money is super tight around here with me going to massage school and my husband still struggling in his profession. So I'm going to sand this oak TV stand down and re-finish it, probably in a shabby-chic manner and let them use it as a stove (has a cuboard below that would be perfect for holding kitchen items in wicker baskets) or a puppet theatre (what they usually use it for).

We have a 3 bd/2.5 bth townhouse/condo (no garage). All the bedrooms are upstairs. The girl's room is light pink with lavender baseboards and lavender curtains. I bought fairy bedding at Target. I'd love to rip out all the carpet in the house and put in wood floors but so far that idea hasn't gone over too well with DH. My little boy's room is a surfer/ocean theme. Since we live in the desert I'm brining the ocean to my house! The walls are painted a lovely blue (the name is "spa") with light green baseboards and curtains. He has the surfer/monkey themed bedding from Target and a white shelf with blue and green canvas baskets to hold his toys and books. It is my favorite room of the house, aside from my Hawaiian themed living room.

In anycase, we do not have a dining table. We have a card table that we sometimes use if we do not want to eat at the counter on the bar stools. So I'm thinking that the playstands would fit nicely into the kitchen.

We're still phasing out the barbies the girls got at Christmas. They've become bath toys for now. My oldest DD LOVES Ariel the Little Mermaid ("She has red hair like me mama!") so she has an Ariel themed bench with canvas baskets that hold her wooden doll furniture, groovy dolls and other cloth dolls and such. Her favorite thing to do is to make her own doll dresses from wash cloths and cloth wipes that she steals from her brother's diaper caddy. Then she takes her hair bows and ties them altogether. It's a riot. I'll have to take pictures and share once my camera gets replaced. (digital broke )

Here are a couple pictures from last year when we first moved in. You can see into the kitchen/dining area where I want to put the playstands:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/HPIM0399.jpg
and this is the kitchen: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/HPIM0392.jpg
It would be neat to have a kitchen set for my kiddos that matched my kitchen. Don't know if it'll happen, but hey I can dream.

Question though - where do you mamas put your nature tables when you have climbing toddlers under foot? My little boy can climb everything now (part of the reason we do not have a kitchen table at the moment, lol) and his sisters are constantly cleaning up there room because he comes in and dumps everything out all the time. : My kids are highly spirited and active though (more so than usual from what other mamas tell me ). I'd love a place to put all their little sticks, rocks, pine cones and such (no seashells unfortunately since we are 10 hours from the ocean ~ Sigh~).

Student Mama of Three
#113 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

that looks like such a wonderful space!! i cant wait to see pics now

as ofr the nature table, mine i right at dd's level and shes a super crazy toddler! in to EVERYTHING! shes the craziest of all my friend's babies but for some odd reason she leave the nature table alone i dont know why or how but she somehow seems ot understand we put things on there but we dont take them off.
you can kinda see here how its at her level (and see her messy face )
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_5124.jpg

#114 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Love Love LOVE this thread! Thank you all for sharing! Its time for me to dive in. I have been waiting and lurking. I have two things left that I want to do in their space. 1. A large rainbow silk for a soft window 'valance'. and 2. a rug in the center to tie it all together.

The room we have created is very calm and warm feeling. I know that I am supposed to just keep a few things out at a time, but I enjoy watching her discover new things on her own. It hasn't been a problem yet. Maybe when ds is older we will rethink things. I recently moved things around so that ds (now 3 months) can start to get a feel for where he wants to go. I wanted to have the room fairly "chocking hazard" proof before he was rolling, so that the room will have a feeling of constance. Not too much change ever, or for a while anyway. We do have a lot of things, and it does create a huge mess, but I clean as she moves on, and at the end of the day we sing a song about a dusty gnome while we finish putting everything in its place. A place for everything, everything in its place. Believe me, that rule does not yet follow me throughout our home, but I hope it gives them a sense of reverence, and security in their own special room.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...38&uid=9211998
#115 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

where did you get that rocking lamb?!

#116 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lu Lu is from Baby Style. We Love her!!! I think she runs aprox $80.
#117 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned

Your playroom changes look great counterGOPI, although it looked really pretty beforehand as well, and that bookshelf ... I am jealous!
Your nature table looks also very nice, ...I think I have to put a bit more effort into our nature table.
#118 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 PM

counter, where did you get the push whirlie gig thing, which is in the background of your barn photo? i love this, and had a gal in play group that had one, but she moved....i think that is so awesome to replace the bubble popper of my childhood!
#119 of 641 Old 06-21-2007, 11:57 PM

and where in va is good wood? i'm moving to ferrum, which is near roanoke....
#120 of 641 Old 06-22-2007, 01:49 AM

Absolutely beautiful, and inspiring!
I love the play house, and the new kitchen, and barn.
Keep the ideas coming!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page