FINALLY my waldorf playroom pics - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 641 Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This man makes beeeeeatiful toys! We don't have any, but we're aspiring to and we love the train-car-a-month club idea. I'm not sure how much each toy fits into the open-endedness of Waldorf since I am just new to the concepts, but where I am right now, I would be comfortable incorporating some of these toys into our playroom (I also don't think I'll ever be a purist- I am very interested in many of the concepts in Waldorf, but not to the exclusion of some from Reggio and overall, I think I'm an 'unschooling' mama, but nonetheless, Waldorf and you mamas have great ideas, so I'm hooked!)

Check it out! http://www.woodentoy.com/index.html

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#122 of 641 Old 06-22-2007, 08:51 PM

That toy site is beautiful!!! What a neat way to collect a train set.

Well, we finally purged about 90% of the plastic. There are a couple LeapFrog toys that I have on the top shelf in their closets and my girls have one drawer that has plastic dinosaurs (not sure what a good replacement for those would be and probably couldn't afford them right now anyway, lol), but pretty much everything else is wooden (even threw out the plastic kitchen food - it was falling apart anyway). My girls really want a new kitchen since their plastic one broke, but I showed them how they could use their Ariel bench and pretend. They LOVED that idea! LOL So fun watching their creativity at work. Their rooms are prettier and feel calmer and they are playing in them more. I'm very excited about this. The funny thing is that it was harder for *me* to toss or donate the plastic junk than it was for the kids. :

Student Mama of Three
#123 of 641 Old 06-23-2007, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo_mom View Post
Their rooms are prettier and feel calmer and they are playing in them more. I'm very excited about this.

The funny thing is that it was harder for *me* to toss or donate the plastic junk than it was for the kids.

I couldn't agree more. Both of these things happened to us and me too!
In addition, I'm loving playing more too!

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#124 of 641 Old 06-23-2007, 09:32 AM

How do you handle grandparents, aunts/uncles, relatives, friends who will be giving gifts to your children? How do you tell them that you want only open-ended, preferrably natural toys? How do you tell them you want them to experience Life and Learning as one thing, not 2 disjunct (is that even a word!!??!) things? How do you tell these people, who don't travel further than Wal-Mart, and/or don't have Internet at home? How do you help them understand that the reason you are sending "their" toys out of your home is because you have researched and prayed and thought and yourself questioned and have come to the decision that what is best for your family is to focus on fewer, but higher quality toys and materials in your home?

We come from good ole' Wal-Mart shoppin' families, who are of the quantity-for-your-money mindset, not quality-for-your-money mindset. We get from them Barbie laptops, Disney door-drawing-hangee-things, LeapPads, and other bleepie, trendy things. Workbooks, coloring books, crayons, etc. We get from them the clear message that there are toys for fun, and then there are learning toys. Disjunct. (there's that word again!) Separate.

We are going to HS mainly with Enki, and want to create a homespace that nurtures our rythyms (how the heck do you spell that word?!), but we can't afford to buy these things ourselves; we have to depend on our families. So, at birthdays and Christmas and whenever they get the kids things, there needs to be a MAJOR shift from the plastic, Entertain-me toys, to the nurturing toys you all know so well.

THis is not to say that we must have only the name brand silks and playstands and such; in my mind, we would be doing the same thing as others "having to have" the new Disney toys and stuff. Does that make sense? We're just going to have to think outside the box, you know, even if they were to buy all kinds of stuff for us that we like!

This was a bit of a ramble, but I am so scared that we'll get rid of all their stuff and then be left with nothing, and the g-rents will still go off and buy the mainstream junk.

thanks ladies for helping to calm me down....
sally
#125 of 641 Old 06-23-2007, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthbabyjunkie View Post
counter, where did you get the push whirlie gig thing, which is in the background of your barn photo? i love this, and had a gal in play group that had one, but she moved....i think that is so awesome to replace the bubble popper of my childhood!
it was a b-day present last year,it's made by selecta though
and good wood has many locations in va.. check out their site: www.goodwood.com

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#126 of 641 Old 06-23-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

birthbabyjunkie i know just what you mean.well, my side of the family understands and only buys wheat we want for dd but my MIL is a whole nother story! she is a very stubborn person and only likes ot do things her way (ie. the baby shower she threw for me she refused to tell ppl where we were registered and had them buy us formula,bottle and disposable diapers KNOWING we were bfing and cding : ) so we had to come right out and tell her anything plastic she buys will be basically throwing money away b/c we will not accept it and just donate it, it took about a year but she has finally come around, she was just here actually for about 5 days and she bought dd a joy's waldorf doll and a real nice real wood table and chairs set from good wood (i have to get some more beeswax and linseed oil to finish them). so even the most stubborn walmrt lovign ppl will eventually understand. and i probably sound mean i think you'd have to know MIL to understand what we go through *sigh* BUT...we DID start out with acceptingher toys and not telling her we were giving them away but we felt horrible b/c she was throwing money away. we also gave her catalogs we like etc. she is seriously the queen of walmart

#127 of 641 Old 06-23-2007, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggieinnh View Post
Your playroom changes look great counterGOPI, although it looked really pretty beforehand as well, and that bookshelf ... I am jealous!
Your nature table looks also very nice, ...I think I have to put a bit more effort into our nature table.
thanks

#128 of 641 Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 PM

our MIL's are cut out of the same cloth, apparently! My mom is all about her some Wal-Mart, but she will do whatever works with us, as best as she can! Now, MIL.....you obviously know all too well what mine is like. I think we may take a similar course of action...Thanks for your words. Gosh, I feel better just getting it off my chest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
birthbabyjunkie i know just what you mean.well, my side of the family understands and only buys wheat we want for dd but my MIL is a whole nother story! she is a very stubborn person and only likes ot do things her way (ie. the baby shower she threw for me she refused to tell ppl where we were registered and had them buy us formula,bottle and disposable diapers KNOWING we were bfing and cding : ) so we had to come right out and tell her anything plastic she buys will be basically throwing money away b/c we will not accept it and just donate it, it took about a year but she has finally come around, she was just here actually for about 5 days and she bought dd a joy's waldorf doll and a real nice real wood table and chairs set from good wood (i have to get some more beeswax and linseed oil to finish them). so even the most stubborn walmrt lovign ppl will eventually understand. and i probably sound mean i think you'd have to know MIL to understand what we go through *sigh* BUT...we DID start out with acceptingher toys and not telling her we were giving them away but we felt horrible b/c she was throwing money away. we also gave her catalogs we like etc. she is seriously the queen of walmart
#129 of 641 Old 06-24-2007, 04:01 AM

mimi - it's good to hear others have similar results. I am enjoying playing more too. It's not all bliss and happiness all the time, but things are calming down. Next I get to tackle the TV addiction.

birthbabyjunkie - I feel your pain about wanting quality things to supplement your homeschooling and knowing that you cannot afford all the things you desire/need for your kids. My mom is a single struggling mom of 4 other kids still at home so she hardly buys anything at all for us and when she does it is usually from Walmart. The cool thing about Walmart though is they have an awsome return policy!!! Seriously, they have wonderful customer service in that regard, unlike Target where you have to have a receipt. I had a friend who brought back an opened CD and told them she hated the CD and wanted her money back (she was a poor starving college student at the time and told them she couldn't afford to throw her money away on junk ). We have actually gotten some nice things from Walmart's toy department. We have a wonderful wooden learning cube that we got on clearance for $10.00. Yes it is probably MDF and it was probably made in some sweat shop in China (made in America my foot!) but you do what you gotta do. My kids get a lot of playtime out that cube. Walmart also has started carrying wooden food and stainless steel mini pots and pans. You might try directing MIL to Target's natural toy section. Again, it is probably sweatshop/child labor but it's a start. That's where we're at. We have a couple of their cloth fairy princess dolls (since we cannot afford Waldorf dolls as yet) and my daughters ADORE them! Much better than Barbies. They just have some amazing toys there right now. I've been very impressed. You could try talking to her but I've been out of luck with my in-laws. We've tried telling them to just stick to books, but they're really lousy about getting the kids anything at all (miserly wealthy people) so I can't help you there. It is frustrating though.

Student Mama of Three
#130 of 641 Old 06-24-2007, 05:04 PM

Beautiful rooms!! Love them We plan on doing something similar (although on a smaller scale) in our shared dd's room when we're able to finally move her into the bunk beds! We'll finally have some free space!!

Jenny : Mama to Irish Triplets: Haley Ella : Ronin
#131 of 641 Old 07-15-2007, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

thought i'd bump this to get some more beautiful pics

#132 of 641 Old 07-30-2007, 06:24 PM

bump- I am working on my playroom and love the inspiration! I love everyone's rooms!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#133 of 641 Old 08-16-2007, 01:55 AM

The playroom pics are so inspiring. We are also using Enki starting in the fall and trying to gut the plastic and come up with a more soothing environment for the kids. We have actually converted our garage into a play area for them which is awesome, but I'm still trying to work around how not to make it feel like a garage. I think the main problem is that the ceiling is too high and there is no coziness to the room. The kids keep hiding under the tables I think I may break down and buy playstands. It just seems like it might be the best solution for the room. I can't really hang much from the ceiling because of that pesky garage door that still needs to go up and down . I was hopeful that my husband might have time to make them since he enjoys woodworking, but I've finally stopped kidding myself and realized that if he can barely get away from work to have dinner with us, he probably won't be doing woodworking anytime soon.

Sooo, I have taken on a babysitting gig for a couple of weeks for a family who is short a full-time nanny that will make me enough to buy playstands! I'm very excited!! Not so much for the two weeks of chaos, but definitely for the end result. I'm hoping I'll have a little extra to get some other things even, so I'm shopping around. It looks like Willow Toys is the best deal for the nicest quality on playstands, and I like that the canopies are not connected so you can set the distance. Would you ladies agree?

About to have 3 little chicks due with #3 Dec 15th
#134 of 641 Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

You are definitely right about the playstands NoCalMomOfTwo!
They are gorgiouse, we all love them! Beautifully crafted, solid and I discovered he is a local craftsman for me as well!
I can not say enough good things about his work, I would definitely go for those at Willow Toys!
#135 of 641 Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Here's my idea for an alternative to expensive playstands. What about an IKEA table trestle, like this or this (US$)? Seems to me they could be used similarly?

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#136 of 641 Old 08-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
Here's my idea for an alternative to expensive playstands. What about an IKEA table trestle, like this or this (US$)? Seems to me they could be used similarly?
Ksenia, you read my mind. I am always trying to figure out what I can use from Ikea for a homemade (sort of) alternative. I'm looking at the trestle and it's a thought, but you would miss the canopy and I think the "shelf" looks like it might be a little low to play store. It could work though, depending on your needs. Unfortunately my needs are for a self-supporting canopy mostly as I'm trying to lower the feeling of a high ceiling and give my kids a hiding/quiet spot in a large open space. I wonder if Ikea has an open shelf perhaps in the IVAR line, that might work with playclips? Might not be as stable as the playstand though.

I made my play kitchen out of IVAR cabinets and it worked out wonderfully. It's not as beautiful as the Waldorf kitchens, has more of a modern look. But so does our actual kitchen, so I guess it makes sense to the kids probably.

#137 of 641 Old 08-16-2007, 11:59 PM

NoCal, we couldn't put playstands into our dc's room because it is also their bedroom and there just isn't enough space.

There were two cedar shelves on the wall fairly high up, one above the other, so I screwed an 'arm' onto each side of the shelf (into the shelf and the brace- both wood) and then another set of arms from those using shelf brackets for strength. In the centre, I attached a short dowel and from that dowel, I have hung a gauzy, coloured panel curtain, one to drape over each side. Underneath the shelf, I attached fabric to conceal both the horrible colour on the walls and also an outlet. What has resulted is a very cozy playspace that cost us $26CAN. I wanted to post pics, but I can't seem to convince my image browser to let them go...

Anyway, you could attach a generously deep shelf to the wall and then attach some garden hangers to the bottom of each side. Then you could drape a long piece of fabric across and over the sides.

You could also drape fabric in a fun way from the ceiling to bring it down visually. You wouldn't have to attach it to the ceiling, just the walls and pull it across if the ceiling isn't available for such a thing. You could also put up some very long dowels or even just 2x4's across the room at the height you want the 'ceiling' and then hang fabric, plants, mobiles, etc... from there.

That's all I've got

Post pics when you can! I will too...

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#138 of 641 Old 08-17-2007, 12:23 AM

Similar to some of the other ideas ... we have a short Ikea bookcase (about 36 inches high x 36 inches wide) from the Leksvik line that looks somewhat like a playstand. I don't see the short one on their website but I have seen it in the store recently. You could do 2 of these, then hang a silk bower from the ceiling, like the ones from Magic Cabin (although I think I have seen similar ones for a lower price). Or you could hang 3 dowels horizontally from chains hooked to the ceiling and drape a long piece of cloth over them to create a canopy feeling.
#139 of 641 Old 08-17-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
NoCal, we couldn't put playstands into our dc's room because it is also their bedroom and there just isn't enough space.

There were two cedar shelves on the wall fairly high up, one above the other, so I screwed an 'arm' onto each side of the shelf (into the shelf and the brace- both wood) and then another set of arms from those using shelf brackets for strength. In the centre, I attached a short dowel and from that dowel, I have hung a gauzy, coloured panel curtain, one to drape over each side. Underneath the shelf, I attached fabric to conceal both the horrible colour on the walls and also an outlet. What has resulted is a very cozy playspace that cost us $26CAN. I wanted to post pics, but I can't seem to convince my image browser to let them go...

Anyway, you could attach a generously deep shelf to the wall and then attach some garden hangers to the bottom of each side. Then you could drape a long piece of fabric across and over the sides.

You could also drape fabric in a fun way from the ceiling to bring it down visually. You wouldn't have to attach it to the ceiling, just the walls and pull it across if the ceiling isn't available for such a thing. You could also put up some very long dowels or even just 2x4's across the room at the height you want the 'ceiling' and then hang fabric, plants, mobiles, etc... from there.

That's all I've got

Post pics when you can! I will too...
I really like all of these ideas! Thanks for your thoughts. I was also talking to a friend of mine tonight who is a florist and has a great eye. She suggested some similar things, also the handmade mobiles idea is especially good. The other problem I have though, that I forgot to mention is the lighting. Because it's a garage it only has fluorescent lights on the ceiling and one outlet close to the door going into the house. I think I will be able to run one plug-in light across the ceiling so I can get some more natural looking light there, but that would also be the spot with the canopy. I'm afraid if I drape something directly from the ceiling (and it can only go in part of the space because of that darn garage door) that I'll block what little available light I have.

Do you think in this situation that the playstands are worth the $$? We don't have any kind of puppet theater or store set-up, so I'm thinking I would gain that as well, plus the canopy concept. And additionally, it is a large open space (2-car garage), so the playstands could provide some division of the area to make it seem like there were smaller sections.

I've been having a big problem with my girls focusing and playing in a quiet way. There seems to be a lot of whooping it up and constant chasing followed by fighting and meltdowns. I'm not saying the environment can solve all my problems, but I think there is definitely a disconnect there where they don't seem to get into that flow that they should have playing. My friend also suggested covering the garage shelving where we have other "stuff"/storage with long curtains. I did that on one side and it looks alot better, so I'm thinking that could really help too to cut out the extraneous visual stimulus.

#140 of 641 Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GR8KIDS View Post
Similar to some of the other ideas ... we have a short Ikea bookcase (about 36 inches high x 36 inches wide) from the Leksvik line that looks somewhat like a playstand. I don't see the short one on their website but I have seen it in the store recently. You could do 2 of these, then hang a silk bower from the ceiling, like the ones from Magic Cabin (although I think I have seen similar ones for a lower price). Or you could hang 3 dowels horizontally from chains hooked to the ceiling and drape a long piece of cloth over them to create a canopy feeling.
These are great ideas and I just checked out Leksvik, which I think would work well in the shorter size you are describing.

I think I might do something like this in my girls' bedroom because that's needing some help too.

#141 of 641 Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggijessie View Post
Those are beautiful rooms! But I am so confused... Do any of you have very spirited children? I would love to put something together for my kids but it would be destroyed in like 10 seconds. Do the rooms always look so put-together? I so admire the space, please just tell me how it works.
I really need to post pics of our play area but I keep forgeting. I have *very* active boys and our area works very well for us.
#142 of 641 Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM

I really like those IKEA ideas. I'm going to have to think on that. Here's my playroom as is right now

View from the door (due to lots of mirrors in the hall and the room, I can see her from the kitchen or living room which is really nice).
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-42.jpg

The right side of the room- her bench (a puzzle and an activity block on it), musical instruments, a pull toy (also doubles as bowling, which is neat), stacking rings. The round basket holds kitchen accessories like wool and wood food. You can see her playsilks in the basket by the door.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-38.jpg

Left side of the room- the paintings you can see have dragonflies on them.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-69.jpg

A peek into some baskets- stuffed animals (many from www.wabisabiwonders.com) & waldorf dolls, finger puppets, blocks, mis natural toys (wooden animals, knitted snakes, etc.). In front of that last baskets are her cars.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-70.jpg

Her cozy corner.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-44.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-28.jpg

And this is her crafting table, which is in the living room now. We also keep a couple more puzzles in it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...n/DSC02494.jpg

My playroom has come a long way the last few months

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#143 of 641 Old 08-19-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJJBlue3333 View Post
I really need to post pics of our play area but I keep forgeting. I have *very* active boys and our area works very well for us.
That would be great! I think this week I will get my "before" pictures together and then come up with my great plan for how to improve. We started with a serious Enki day today where I really tried to follow the kids' rhythm and catch the wave so to speak of where they were and when they needed the next thing. The more I watch them and become aware of their patterns, the more I'm convinced the room is not working the way it is. My older daughter set up a whole "stage" area with a stuffed animal audience and paper doll "actors" with my help this afternoon and we did a sort of puppet show for DH, but it was all in the dining room, which is right next to the giant playroom. It makes no sense. So something is not working there and inviting them to play. The lighting thing really is big too - I have to get more of a natural light feeling in there, esp with winter coming, since there are no windows!!

#144 of 641 Old 08-19-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissum View Post
I really like those IKEA ideas. I'm going to have to think on that. Here's my playroom as is right now

View from the door (due to lots of mirrors in the hall and the room, I can see her from the kitchen or living room which is really nice).
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-42.jpg

The right side of the room- her bench (a puzzle and an activity block on it), musical instruments, a pull toy (also doubles as bowling, which is neat), stacking rings. The round basket holds kitchen accessories like wool and wood food. You can see her playsilks in the basket by the door.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-38.jpg

Left side of the room- the paintings you can see have dragonflies on them.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-69.jpg

A peek into some baskets- stuffed animals (many from www.wabisabiwonders.com) & waldorf dolls, finger puppets, blocks, mis natural toys (wooden animals, knitted snakes, etc.). In front of that last baskets are her cars.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-70.jpg

Her cozy corner.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-44.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...lyon/b5-28.jpg

And this is her crafting table, which is in the living room now. We also keep a couple more puzzles in it.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...n/DSC02494.jpg

My playroom has come a long way the last few months
Thanks for posting all these. It really is great to see everyone's ideas. That's a great little ledge you have under the window to display things. I hung some of those Ikea ledges in my girls' room and they're great! And so much cheaper than all the pottery barn stuff!

#145 of 641 Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 AM
#146 of 641 Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 AM

Kens, Can I ask where you got your playstand? I love that it has a chalkboard! Oh, and the bookshelf/rack- it's cool too- I love that it's so big!

-Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#147 of 641 Old 08-19-2007, 06:48 PM

pixiesmommy, my husband made the playstand. Basically he used 4x4s and L brackets to put it together and then put a shelf in the middle. The chalkboard is a piece of plywood painted with chalkboard paint (this was a huge hit, my daughter loves to create her artwork here). The bookshelf is from Pottery Barn kids. It was a little pricey, but I splurged, and it was really worth it. I love how much space is in it and we rotate the books every so often.

Kens
#149 of 641 Old 08-22-2007, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

the links werent workign for me

wait i think they are workign now

#150 of 641 Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

its so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page