FINALLY my waldorf playroom pics - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 641 Old 09-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beautiful rooms everyone! Lucky kiddos you gus have!
Unfortunately here where we live, space is at a premium and I don't know anyone with an extra room for a playroom. We have things in my daughter's bedroom and also in the livingroom. We are re-doing the livingroom and sectioning off an area where she will have her own personal space, I'll post a picture when that's done.

The reason I am actually posting is to comment to those considering wood and thinking of the cost, have you looked into bamboo at all? That's what we have and it was significantly cheaper than wood. It looks the same as other hardwood floors, is harder than most and environmentaly significantly better.
Just a thought!
#182 of 641 Old 09-29-2007, 02:31 PM

We have a small 3 bedroom home. They are all fairly small rooms, but we decided to keep all three girls to sleep in one bedroom, and convert the other room into a play room. They are pretty young yet, and don't have the need for privacy just yet, and I figured since mostly they just used the bedroom to sleep in at this point, I used the other room as a play room. When we had toys in the bedroom, inevitably most things ended up under the beds, which drove me nuts.

To make it work, though we had to get a bunk bed (so we have a twin size bunk bed and another twin bed), but so far, we have no complaints. Now when they get older, I'm sure they will want more personal space, but for now, it's working out okay.

I decided to make 1 room a playroom, especially since I watch another child on Mondays. So, they have the space in there, rather than all over the house or in the girls room (that's off limits to play when he comes over).

Now, the girls still have a train table in the family room we use as a coffee table, and they also have the 9-cube cubby with art supplies/educational type things in it. And the dining room is their art table and montessori activity table. But essentially, the family room is more adult space, though we allow toys to migrate there. They just aren't stored in the family room anymore.

And, from watching the extra child on Mondays, all my babysitting money would go to purchasing nicer toys and montessori type things for the kids. So it works out pretty well.

AFA as bamboo floors, I forgot about that. I need to do some research as to where.

Right now our priority is cleaning out our garage, though....

Mama of 3 girls: 7.5 , 6 , and 4.5
#183 of 641 Old 09-29-2007, 03:11 PM

We are planning on doing bamboo floors, as well. But even those are out of our price range right now. Costco is the cheapest from what I understand.

Blessed mama of four
::
#184 of 641 Old 09-29-2007, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

can't wait to see hannahsmummy!!

i really want bamboo floors when we own a house. right now we just rent though.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#185 of 641 Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 AM

:
#186 of 641 Old 10-07-2007, 01:50 PM

I love the photos, I've gotten some great ideas!
#187 of 641 Old 10-17-2007, 11:50 PM

...what a fun and inspiring room! I am a grandma of a 6 and 10 year old and one on the way. I like to watch and listen and keep in touch with moms raising our newest generation. It makes me a better grandma and mother/mother in law, and artist.
Hope to see more of you around. Write anytime.
I LOVE the way the clouds/grass silk works for you...I can see that a longer silk with more sky would work quite well. Is is common to leave the shelves open like yours or more common to have them enclosed like the pict with the rainbow silk?
#188 of 641 Old 10-18-2007, 02:40 PM

Can I come over an play???
#189 of 641 Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas

Radhanuga HARIBOL! I would love for you to come over any day!!

#190 of 641 Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM

: I love this thread.. lots of great ideas!

Elizabeth - Single mom to my 3 year old daugher and a full time graduate student . I support
#191 of 641 Old 10-28-2007, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

I again have updates. Will take pics tomorrow and post asap keep your playroom pics coming!!!

#192 of 641 Old 10-29-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

#193 of 641 Old 10-29-2007, 02:55 PM

That is an awesome playroom!!!! I would have loved that when I was a kid!! Great job
#194 of 641 Old 10-29-2007, 02:55 PM

CG - that is lovely! I have to admit, though, that one of my first reactions is that my kids would rip around and mess it up in 5 minutes, and that it would take about one hour to re-arrange it. I hope that your experience has been better than my imaginings!

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#195 of 641 Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

sadly no! She destroys it at least 3 times a day and i'm crazy about keeping it clean so her and i are always cleaning it ,it seems like ..now the rest of the house.. i'm not so good with keeping clean

#196 of 641 Old 10-29-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
heres our latest updated playroom pics: slightly decorated for fall..my m/s really slowed me down
i have one more pic to take of dd's table set up in our living room...
and heck yeah she has way too many toys yikes!!!!!!

Beautiful!!! Slightly OT, and I hope you don't mind me asking: Does your DD love that dollhouse? I'm thinking of getting it for DD's 3rd birthday - I love how open and 3-D it is.
#197 of 641 Old 10-29-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

oh yes! she just got it for her birthday. we couldn't afford much furniture for it yet so she just has a bed and stove in it but she still plays with it like crazy! she actually sues it for her animals mostly right now

but YES i highly recommend that dollhouse she loves it and it's so beautiful in person!

#198 of 641 Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
oh yes! she just got it for her birthday. we couldn't afford much furniture for it yet so she just has a bed and stove in it but she still plays with it like crazy! she actually sues it for her animals mostly right now

but YES i highly recommend that dollhouse she loves it and it's so beautiful in person!

It looks great in your pictures!! Nothing gets used for the original purpose around here, so I can only imagine what my DD would put in there

My second DD is due 2 weeks before DD1's birthday, so I'm hoping maybe the house will distract her a bit too
#199 of 641 Old 10-29-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Is that the one from Nova Natural?

About to have 3 little chicks due with #3 Dec 15th
#200 of 641 Old 10-29-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

yes but honestly i shopped around for it and got it cheaper locally through our local waldorf store.

#201 of 641 Old 10-30-2007, 02:18 AM

The updated playroom looks lovely! I have changed mine quite a bit as well, but I'll hold out for new pics for Christmas, because I know it will change a ton then!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#202 of 641 Old 11-09-2007, 02:00 AM

Hi!
This is my very first post on mothering!

So last night I sat here and read through this whole thread (amongst others). My internet fell around 1 am and I was so upset that I couldn't finish looking at all the wonderful playrooms. You all did a FABULOUS job creating them.

I have been trying to plan out a room for my son (18 months) even though I don't really have any room for it lol. We are hoping to move to a bigger house with maybe a big basement that I would turn completely into a playroom for him and future siblings (I dream about that space every night to help me fall asleep, although thats usually counter productive ). Right now, the only extra space I have is a VERY small 3rd bedroom. It is about 8x12' I *think*... But I really really want to get a start and give him a little cozy space of his own.

I am just beginning to learn more in depth about waldorf and other styles. I have a B.A. in Children's studies and worked in a great preschool for about 4 years before my son was born, and now I SAH with him. So I know some basics about them all but not everything that I need to know.

ANYWAY after all that background let me finally get to my questions.

With that very small space I have, what would you recommend I do with it, for a toddler? If you could only have a few essential peices to start with what would they be? I am talking both furniture and toys etc. Which toys and equipment do you feel are most beneficial for this age? Which "areas" do you feel are most important to get into a small space and for a toddler?

I don't really have the money or space right now to buy a playstand but I was thinking about trying to make something similar out of bookshelves and silks. I am planning on buying him a nice wooden kitchen for Christmas but I will probably put that in our kitchen, if I can find a spot for it.

What color would you recommend painting the walls? Right now they are a pale lavender leftover from the previous owners. I would rather do some sort of blue or yellow if thats appropriate.

I'm going to start working on this ASAP so maybe I can post progress pics

Thanks in advance

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

#203 of 641 Old 11-09-2007, 01:13 PM

My ds is 18 months as well and the toys he plays with are
branch cart
wooden cars ALL THE TIME
little wooden figures
blocks
books
baby doll
some puzzles
stacking houses & nesting dolls

Now we have a decent amount of toys I think, but I also have a 4 yr old so by being second he gets to play with more variety.

I would have (if it were just him) silks, blocks, books, little animals or figures, kitchen stuff, wooden cars (if he play with these) blocks, and a doll.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#204 of 641 Old 12-17-2007, 03:30 PM

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/toy...kitchen-038719

It isn't finished but its much better than it was.
#205 of 641 Old 12-17-2007, 04:27 PM

CounterGOPI --what a beautiful and inspiring playroom! You have so many of the toys I have been admiring on various websites. Do you mind sharing which ones get the most play time?

And where did you get that fabulous Indian doll?
#206 of 641 Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeKelly View Post
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/toy...kitchen-038719

It isn't finished but its much better than it was.
how funny! i got the ohdeedoh update in my google reader and decided to check out mothering to see if anything was here... and then the two meet!

so, i need help. we've recently moved and have brand new carpet in the room that is going to be used as the playroom. has anyone had any success with placing anything OVER the carpet? i wish we had all wood again, but it's just not going to happen. any fun rugs out there?

has anyone had luck in combining an office space with a playroom? we have nowhere else for the computer.

i'm struggling a lot with the meeting of design and function as a naturally-minded family would see fit. never mind a theme or decor, i can't get over everything only coming halfway up the wall! i'd love more ideas!
#207 of 641 Old 12-17-2007, 09:38 PM

That is funny!!!

How large is the room? Hanging plants that trail down like ivy or potted trees might add vertical interest while maintaining a natural feel...

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/20...ure_cords.html
this link shows a great way to keep cords hidden which might be useful for the office area

Haba has beautiful rugs but pricey.
#208 of 641 Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeKelly View Post
That is funny!!!

How large is the room? Hanging plants that trail down like ivy or potted trees might add vertical interest while maintaining a natural feel...

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/20...ure_cords.html
this link shows a great way to keep cords hidden which might be useful for the office area

Haba has beautiful rugs but pricey.
good idea.....
#209 of 641 Old 12-18-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambearbhan View Post
has anyone had luck in combining an office space with a playroom? we have nowhere else for the computer.

We have an office and playroom combo. I'll try to describe it:

This room is the "formal" living room of the house, but we think formal living rooms are a waste, so we converted it to the office/playroom. We installed glass/wood double doors to the room (off the entryway).

When you walk in, the right-side corner has Ikea Billy bookcases for open toy storage. The left-side corner has a play kitchen (Victoria's Kitchen and Jacob's Icebox from Elves and Angels), a round, kid-sided wooden table and chairs, and a wooden peg rack.

We have oak floors with an 8x10 neutral colored area rug in the center of the playspace. The right-side wall has a magnet board and open space (I think we're going to put playstands here in the future); the left-side wall has two windows with a short/narrow Billy bookcase for canvas toy bins in between.

The far wall is our office. We installed hickory wood cabinets and stone-like countertop and have two workstations. This was done WAY before DD was born -- DH and I both were able to work P/T at home.

The good points: I can pay bills, read email, while DD plays. Also, the potential "mess" is all in one room.

The downside: DH works from home a lot. On days when DD breaks out the drum, xylophone and shakers, DH has some trouble focusing.

I can post pictures if pressured
#210 of 641 Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 PM

Pressure. I really love that picket fence idea a few posts back. Very cool.

I used to have the office and playroom together, but DD was little bitty then. It worked fine.

I am loving my playroom right now, DD just got a set of the Camden Rose playstands and they are beautiful. I'm tempted to post pics now, but since she is getting that whole kitchen set for Christmas, I better wait. I wish I would've had such a cool room when I was little!

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page