Mothering Forum banner

FINALLY my waldorf playroom pics

157K views 640 replies 181 participants last post by  JudiAU 
#1 ·
New house playspace pics here: http://frontierdreams.blogspot.com/2...ls-corner.html
Can I say how much I don't like our old playspace set up, now that I see it after we moved?
:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------sorry it took me so long to post them. i thought id start a new thread for them. please tell me what i can do to imrove her room to make it more waldrofy.. i know i have to put up some playsilks or something on the back of her playstand to cover the backs of the computer,dvd players etc...

updated pics post 109
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...41#post8441841
updated again post 192
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=192

old pics:
playsilk on her canopy.the sky and grass

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_4453.jpg
heres the rainbow house i mentioned before:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_4454.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_4462.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...I/IMG_4461.jpg

RECAP OF EVERYONES PLAYRROMS HERE:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=402

See less See more
Reactions: aHikaru
#177 ·
Oh, beautiful! I love those wooden bowls and trays. We have a few Montessori things like the juice glasses and mugs, and the duster. Although I think my 20 month old twins are too young for the glasses because they have broken several of them. My 4 year old is great with glass,though. Alot of people say they love our red carpet but I hate it. I want to get some nice wooden floors in there but that room is huge and it would be expensive. One day!

#178 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcmommyto3 View Post
Oh, thank you. It's a work constantly in progress. It's the playroom I would have loved to have had as a child.

But, I also think the deeper background colors look more like a nice contrast with the natural colors. Maybe that's why some of those rooms look more soothing to me. The light colors of the natural woods seem to wash out against the pale pastels. Of course, in person, they seem to be okay. Our pale green walls are pretty soothing, but man, I've seen those Lazure walls and they are awesome. And, at least from your photos, I like your red carpet. But maybe it looks different IRL.

I also would have preferred natural (real) wood bookcases, but when I originally was decorating the room, I didn't know about natural playrooms and I going for a cute, very girly, tea-party look.

In the past few months, I've really fallen in love with the Waldorf/natural playrooms, and Montessori for teaching at home (although I don't technically homeschool, I have a homeschooling heart).

I got the lambswool duster from www.MontessoriServices.com Same with the dust broom, though I realize it's kind of silly to have that in a carpeted playroom.

These are my montessori things for my kiddos.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9&postcount=78
thank you for those links!!

all you mamas i missed - great rooms!!!!

#179 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
Oh, beautiful! I love those wooden bowls and trays. We have a few Montessori things like the juice glasses and mugs, and the duster. Although I think my 20 month old twins are too young for the glasses because they have broken several of them. My 4 year old is great with glass,though. Alot of people say they love our red carpet but I hate it. I want to get some nice wooden floors in there but that room is huge and it would be expensive. One day!
I got those wooden bowls from local discount dept stores (like Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls). Any place that acts as a clearing house of sorts for the larger dept stores, where everything is discounted at least 50% dept store prices. They always have interesting finds. I even got the marble mortar and pestle from one of those stores.

The bamboo spoons, tray and beads and nesting dolls from montessori services.

Yeah, wood floors would be really nice, but I know they are pricey. I want to re-do my dining room with wood, but am waiting on that simply because of the cost.

The little glass mugs I got from (gasp!) Walmart (I know, I supported the evil one). They were originally to be salt shakers, but they make excellent little glasses, and they are thick glass, and fairly indestructible for little hands.

#181 ·
Beautiful rooms everyone! Lucky kiddos you gus have!
Unfortunately here where we live, space is at a premium and I don't know anyone with an extra room for a playroom. We have things in my daughter's bedroom and also in the livingroom. We are re-doing the livingroom and sectioning off an area where she will have her own personal space, I'll post a picture when that's done.

The reason I am actually posting is to comment to those considering wood and thinking of the cost, have you looked into bamboo at all? That's what we have and it was significantly cheaper than wood. It looks the same as other hardwood floors, is harder than most and environmentaly significantly better.
Just a thought!

#182 ·
We have a small 3 bedroom home. They are all fairly small rooms, but we decided to keep all three girls to sleep in one bedroom, and convert the other room into a play room. They are pretty young yet, and don't have the need for privacy just yet, and I figured since mostly they just used the bedroom to sleep in at this point, I used the other room as a play room. When we had toys in the bedroom, inevitably most things ended up under the beds, which drove me nuts.

To make it work, though we had to get a bunk bed (so we have a twin size bunk bed and another twin bed), but so far, we have no complaints. Now when they get older, I'm sure they will want more personal space, but for now, it's working out okay.

I decided to make 1 room a playroom, especially since I watch another child on Mondays. So, they have the space in there, rather than all over the house or in the girls room (that's off limits to play when he comes over).

Now, the girls still have a train table in the family room we use as a coffee table, and they also have the 9-cube cubby with art supplies/educational type things in it. And the dining room is their art table and montessori activity table. But essentially, the family room is more adult space, though we allow toys to migrate there. They just aren't stored in the family room anymore.

And, from watching the extra child on Mondays, all my babysitting money would go to purchasing nicer toys and montessori type things for the kids. So it works out pretty well.

AFA as bamboo floors, I forgot about that. I need to do some research as to where.

Right now our priority is cleaning out our garage, though....

#187 ·
...what a fun and inspiring room! I am a grandma of a 6 and 10 year old and one on the way. I like to watch and listen and keep in touch with moms raising our newest generation. It makes me a better grandma and mother/mother in law, and artist.
Hope to see more of you around. Write anytime.
I LOVE the way the clouds/grass silk works for you...I can see that a longer silk with more sky would work quite well. Is is common to leave the shelves open like yours or more common to have them enclosed like the pict with the rainbow silk?

#194 ·
CG - that is lovely! I have to admit, though, that one of my first reactions is that my kids would rip around and mess it up in 5 minutes, and that it would take about one hour to re-arrange it.
I hope that your experience has been better than my imaginings!

#195 ·
sadly no! She destroys it at least 3 times a day and i'm crazy about keeping it clean so her and i are always cleaning it ,it seems like
..now the rest of the house.. i'm not so good with keeping clean

#196 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
heres our latest updated playroom pics: slightly decorated for fall..my m/s really slowed me down

i have one more pic to take of dd's table set up in our living room...
and heck yeah she has way too many toys yikes!!!!!!

Beautiful!!! Slightly OT, and I hope you don't mind me asking: Does your DD love that dollhouse? I'm thinking of getting it for DD's 3rd birthday - I love how open and 3-D it is.

#197 ·
oh yes! she just got it for her birthday. we couldn't afford much furniture for it yet so she just has a bed and stove in it but she still plays with it like crazy! she actually sues it for her animals mostly right now

but YES i highly recommend that dollhouse she loves it and it's so beautiful in person!

#198 ·
Quote:

oh yes! she just got it for her birthday. we couldn't afford much furniture for it yet so she just has a bed and stove in it but she still plays with it like crazy! she actually sues it for her animals mostly right now

but YES i highly recommend that dollhouse she loves it and it's so beautiful in person!

It looks great in your pictures!! Nothing gets used for the original purpose around here, so I can only imagine what my DD would put in there

My second DD is due 2 weeks before DD1's birthday, so I'm hoping maybe the house will distract her a bit too

#199 ·
Quote:

Is that the one from Nova Natural?

#201 ·
The updated playroom looks lovely! I have changed mine quite a bit as well, but I'll hold out for new pics for Christmas, because I know it will change a ton then!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.