FINALLY my waldorf playroom pics - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 641 Old 01-27-2008, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi! View Post
Ksenia, our camera was broken at Christmas (by dd) We'd love to have you over for tea and a play. Really, the former playroom is more of an office now and a block/driftwood storage room. The boys could build and the girls could wreck everything for them

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#242 of 641 Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lovin' and subbin'!

You guys have created some amazing spaces! I'm so inspired! I noticed there is no large furniture in most of the rooms and right now that is one of my challenges.

The space I want to make over has so far been used as (gasp!!) a TV/video game room for my 17 year old stepson and my 9 year old stepdaughter. That's not what I want it to be but I don't know how to give my daughter what I feel she should have without upsetting my stepchildren (although the 9 year old would probably love what I turn the room into). Anyone have advice for me?

So far our room just has dd's table and chairs, toys/silks/wooden food/blocks in baskets, a large sectional sofa, a dresser with the tv on top, a rug, and a bookcase. I want to keep the dresser but not the sofas (I've had them since I was five years old). Here's a pic of our upstairs family room. Sorry they're so dark. It's night here and my camera's broken.

I also struggle with what my next purchase should be, considering the cash is really tight. I'm deciding between a major purchase (playstands vs kitchen vs dollhouse) or a few smaller purchases (puzzles, cash register, play food, etc.). Any suggestions on where to start? Should I just keep saving up for the big purchase or try to add a few smaller priced items first? I was hoping to get the kitchen/playstand by April for dd's 3rd bday.
#243 of 641 Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetmother View Post
Lovin' and subbin'!

So far our room just has dd's table and chairs, toys/silks/wooden food/blocks in baskets, a large sectional sofa, a dresser with the tv on top, a rug, and a bookcase. I want to keep the dresser but not the sofas (I've had them since I was five years old). Here's a pic of our upstairs family room. Sorry they're so dark. It's night here and my camera's broken.

I also struggle with what my next purchase should be, considering the cash is really tight. I'm deciding between a major purchase (playstands vs kitchen vs dollhouse) or a few smaller purchases (puzzles, cash register, play food, etc.). Any suggestions on where to start? Should I just keep saving up for the big purchase or try to add a few smaller priced items first? I was hoping to get the kitchen/playstand by April for dd's 3rd bday.
I would get the playstands. Here's my reasoning:
Your 9 year old could use them too to build houses, put on puppet shows, etc.
A kitchen can be added onto your playstand. Check out naturalpod.com for add on type sink and stove. You could make this yourself to add to the playstand

Playstands would organize your space

At 3, she may not use a dollhouse yet.

You could make playstands yourself for less $ if you had a few tools. Or perhaps your dad could (mine did and I am thankful for it)

Check out threesisterstoys.com to see more ideas for room set up and play ideas for your girls.

Good luck and have fun!

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#244 of 641 Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
prophetmother, I like mimi!'s ideas. Another idea that I have is getting the TV watchers cordless headphones so that children who want to play can do so without the distraction of background noise. It can make a huge difference in a multipurpose room that includes a TV.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#245 of 641 Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks Jessica and Ksenia! Good ideas I'll keep in mind!
#246 of 641 Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM

:

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#247 of 641 Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 PM

Here is a link to my blog that, despite the title, has a Waldorf inspired playroom and theme running through it. I am finding so many similarities in home life between the two that I am running a merry old hybrid here!!

www.athomewithmontessori.blogspot.com

I just uploaded our latest photos this afternoon. Lemme know what you think!
#248 of 641 Old 02-03-2008, 04:15 AM

CounterGOPI your room is beautiful!! was that a small clothesline in one of your pics? My dd would go crazy for it if it was! Where did you find it?

ETA I found one!! and ordered one!!Yay!
#249 of 641 Old 02-03-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
CounterGOPI your room is beautiful!! was that a small clothesline in one of your pics? My dd would go crazy for it if it was! Where did you find it?

ETA I found one!! and ordered one!!Yay!
yay! i got it for $2 at a garage sale.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#250 of 641 Old 02-03-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
yay! i got it for $2 at a garage sale.
OMG thats Awesome!! ( I just paid $33 icl. shipping _
#251 of 641 Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 PM

Yay for this thread! I have A LOT of Waldorf essentals in my home, most of my home is Waldorfy! I am starting to paint our playrrom/homeschooling space Lazure. I starting a thread about it and will update it continually. I have no pics yet. .. Just discovered this treasure on mdc, usually I'm on the ttc boards. I remember you counter!!!!! I will try to post pics soon!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#252 of 641 Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 PM

i have a question about a toy on a few of your playstands-- the cylinder w/ the balls inside it? i can't find one online... any idea of where i could find one?
#253 of 641 Old 02-10-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

its by eitehr speil and holz or kinderkram i cant rememebr now but i got it from rosie hippo toys. i think nova natural has them too.

#254 of 641 Old 02-11-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meems View Post
i have a question about a toy on a few of your playstands-- the cylinder w/ the balls inside it? i can't find one online... any idea of where i could find one?
Not sure if this is what you meant but this is the one I have.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#255 of 641 Old 02-11-2008, 01:19 AM

that's it, thank you! i found one on rosie hippo and the nova nat website...

BTW, i LOVE your playroom and have been inspired enough to add a ton of cool toys to our wishlist and i am selling stuff on ebay to buy a playstand and wooden kitchen for DD. she will love it.

i also really like the grass and sky canopy... where did it come from?
#256 of 641 Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

aww thanks!!
ive hada lot of mamas ask me about that canopy. i need ot look it up again. i have the info around somewhere..bbl with it!!

#257 of 641 Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

this is where i got my playsilk from:

http://www.sableandsilk-silkarts.com/store/Default.asp

the woman who made it is super super nice. Go buy things from her!!!

#258 of 641 Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Thanks counterGOPI!! What a great site:
#259 of 641 Old 02-13-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetmother View Post
I also struggle with what my next purchase should be, considering the cash is really tight. I'm deciding between a major purchase (playstands vs kitchen vs dollhouse) or a few smaller purchases (puzzles, cash register, play food, etc.). Any suggestions on where to start?
Some Waldorf toys are free like baskets of pine cones and acorns and shells. Blocks can be all kinds of things for the imaginative child like a telephone, food, or a train. It's very easy to go overboard. Children don't need so many playthings. IME children are less imaginative with too many preformed playthings. It's harder to tidy up and making a mess often becomes the game rather than playing with the toys.

My children really like the playstands we have combined with sheer cotton gauze playcloths I dyed myself from blanks from Dharma Trading Company. (We also have some 35" square silks I dyed myself and the silk is sturdier.)

We also have a tiny kitchen I haven't seen these days. It was from Magic Cabin Dolls. It's just a stove, oven, and one shelf made from birch. I think it was $40.

Try getting Freya Jaffke's book "Toymaking with Children". Great ideas in there on things to make and also ideas on toys for certain ages like ages 3-5 and 5 to 7. (Get it free through ILL!)

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 11, 10, 8, and 4 1/2
#260 of 641 Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntLavender View Post
Try getting Freya Jaffke's book "Toymaking with Children". Great ideas in there on things to make and also ideas on toys for certain ages like ages 3-5 and 5 to 7. (Get it free through ILL!)
Just ordered my own copy!
#261 of 641 Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
Ok, I finally had a chance to share some updated pictures. I went to the store and bought a bunch of gourds and mini indian corn and the kids are just crazy about them! I thought they would enjoy them but I didn't realize this much. Someone asked if anyone had boys and I do! I have a 4 year old boy and 20 month old boy/girl twins. My 4 year old mainly enjoys dressing up, playing in his teepee, using the kitchen, etc. He spends almost all his time doing make believe and rarely plays with toys like my younger ones. The twins love stacking toys, pull toys, and some dress up, too.

One view of playroom

Their lovely kitchen (you can see gourds and corn)

Shelves of blocks, pinecones, beanbags, wooden animals carved by Daddy, nesting bowls, instruments

Another view of baskets

Shelves of the twins' toys (but everyone shares)

Dress-up clothes

Other view of playroom

Basket of playsilks, swords and streamer

My Waldorf kids

Thanks for looking!
absolutely beautiful room! can i please ask you where you bought your kitchen and tree bark cup, plate, tea pot set from?

thanks.
#262 of 641 Old 03-01-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
absolutely beautiful room! can i please ask you where you bought your kitchen and tree bark cup, plate, tea pot set from?

thanks
Thanks! Wow, I haven't checked this thread in months, I'm glad I did. The kitchen is from www.threesisterstoys.com and the bark tea set is from www.atoygarden.com The kitchen is our kids' favorite thing ever, besides their wagon of blocks from www.woodentoy.com

Blessed mama of four
::
#263 of 641 Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Some Waldorf toys are free like baskets of pine cones and acorns and shells. Blocks can be all kinds of things for the imaginative child like a telephone, food, or a train. It's very easy to go overboard. Children don't need so many playthings. IME children are less imaginative with too many preformed playthings. It's harder to tidy up and making a mess often becomes the game rather than playing with the toys.
ITA! We don't have a ton toys by many people's standards, but I really regret buying so many. My kids spend 90% of their time playing with their wagon of blocks and playsilks. Of course they like their other toys, but they really aren't necessary. It is so thrilling for me to watch what their imaginations do with their blocks.

Blessed mama of four
::
#264 of 641 Old 03-02-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
Thanks! Wow, I haven't checked this thread in months, I'm glad I did. The kitchen is from www.threesisterstoys.com and the bark tea set is from www.atoygarden.com The kitchen is our kids' favorite thing ever, besides their wagon of blocks from www.woodentoy.com
Ohh I love that tea set! Just might have to go in dd Easter basket thanks for the link!
#265 of 641 Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 PM

Waiting patiently for my playstands to be shipped... I'm going nuts just staring at the "billing information received" all day at UPS... hahaha!!!

Then I can share pics!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#266 of 641 Old 03-02-2008, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymw View Post
Waiting patiently for my playstands to be shipped... I'm going nuts just staring at the "billing information received" all day at UPS... hahaha!!!

Then I can share pics!
yay! where did you get them from?

#267 of 641 Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 AM

willow toys, but I ordered thru Down to Earth toys LAST WEEK I've already received everything else I ordered for the play room. I'd just love to know the ship date, so then I can know the arrival date. The suspense is killing me!

Counter... I saw your playroom pics six months ago, it must have been, and I saved them to my desktop and just flipped through them with longing every few weeks. When I followed a link from someone's siggy to DTET and saw the playstands... I thought WOW, they SELL those?! I have to have them!!!

And since DH got to buy a HDTV, PS3, and a half sleeve tattoo with HIS half of the tax money... guess where all of MY half went? Yep... tossing all the old and bringing in the new.

Will have before & after pics of course.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#268 of 641 Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

oh i never heard of down to earth toys!
yesh we love our willow stands and kitchen. they are such a great company!!

#269 of 641 Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM

I'm getting the kitchen NEXT tax season LOL! Right now I have a haba cooktop that can sit on my kitchen counter next to our real one, or on a table/playstand shelf. Much cheaper for now

DownToEarthToys was great. The shipping was crazy fast and you get 10% off if you're a MDC mom (type MDC at checkout). They have a really good made in the USA section and a really good under $20 section too And great cust service.

#270 of 641 Old 03-08-2008, 11:32 AM

The entire evolution of our playroom IN STAGES.

If you just want to see the final product, go to stage 9...

Stage 1: When we still lived at GMIL's house...
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...w/bdaypic2.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...w/bdaypic6.jpg

Stage 2: Christmas 2007, moved into our new place!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...istmastime.jpg

Stage 3: Moved stuff to the opposite wall where the computer was
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ebruary107.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ebruary108.jpg

Stage 4: Got rid of the white shelf, got some new toys and learning tower
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...2008-02001.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...08-02002-1.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...08-02004-1.jpg

Stage 5: Dumped the ABC's
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...2008-02006.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...08-02007-1.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...08-02008-1.jpg

Stage 6: rearranged toys (I know, this is getting ridiculous)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...008-02001a.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...008-02002a.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...008-02003a.jpg

Stage 7: Switched the dining room and play area around, got a new rug
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm017.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm016.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm014.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm013.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm012.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm015.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm010.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm011.jpg
(Playing)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm019.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm025.jpg

Stage 8: Nova Natural toys came!!!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...3-March004.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...3-March006.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...3-March007.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...3-March008.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...3-March009.jpg
(Messy)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...3-March026.jpg

Stage 9: PLAYSTANDS FINALLY GOT HERE!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!! WOO HOOOO!!!!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom008.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom009.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom010.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom011.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom012.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom013.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom014.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom017.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom024.jpg
(Playing and messy)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom016.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...layroom020.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page