Book suggestions for a 2 year old! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am reading "Heaven on Earth" right now (as well, ...yes I know!) and Sharifa suggests to read stories told in verse form, which makes use of the language in an elegant form. I agree with her and love the idea but have not found many in that direction, as English is not my native language I seem to have a bit of a problem in finding books in this area.
I have found a couple of books as she suggested already, like " Goodnight little one", "Goodnight Moon" or "Jam Jamboree", but that is pretty much it.

Has anybody else any more book suggestions which could possibly include gnomes and earth creatures as well (or is age 2 too young for that kind of story)?

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have a boy, ...so please not too many story suggestions with only female lead characters.
#2 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Mother Goose is all in rhyme. The Tasha Tudor edition has particularly lovely illustrations. But they are not exactly stories. My grandchildren both really like to have poems read to them.
#3 of 8 Old 05-23-2007, 05:49 AM

Some of the books that we have loved have very rythmic and poetic language. I leave it up to you to decide whether they fit your idea of Waldorf appropriate books though.

This one has amazing artwork as well as beautiful language and a story that young children will find endearing as well as a bit funny.
http://www.amazon.com/Took-Moon-Walk...9909159&sr=8-1

This is a collection of Children's poems by a Canadian author. I have loved them since I was a small child they are fun, funny and relevant to a child.
http://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Pie-...9909231&sr=1-1

The whole series of bear books are great because they are written in ryhme and the stories are about friendship.
http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Snores-Ka...9909293&sr=1-2

There's also the classic Dr. Seuss books as well. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions about ones that involve gnomes or that kind of thing as the ones we have like that aren't as nicely written.

There are a lot of lovely books here as well:
http://www.barefoot-books.com/site/pages/choice.php
#4 of 8 Old 05-23-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you ladies, the books you suggested look very beautiful and I will add a few of them to our never ending library!

Ds has already so many books and he just LOVES to read them over and over again! I really have to be careful not to get too carried away, as he has way more books already than anything else, he loves poems as well very much! I made it a habit to read to him a few every time he takes a bath. I found a particularly good book by Brown Watson (from England) that is called "A Dream book of Verses", I was trying to find some more books by that publishing house but was unfortunately unsuccessful so far.

Thank you again for all your suggestions!
#5 of 8 Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 PM

There is a book called Poetry for the Very Young which is wonderful. Also, the Museum of Modern Art has a series such as Painting with Picasso, Dancing with Degas, In the Garden with Monet, etc etc - lots of diff artists. All illustrations are famous paintings and the books are brief and mostly all in rhyme.

My dd is almost 2 and enjoys all sorts of story books tho from simple factual nature ones to rhymes to stories geared more for the 7 yr old or so crowd. We even just started our first chapter book - Good Times with Beverly which is from the 1930's and ever so cute.
#6 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahsmummy View Post
The whole series of bear books are great because they are written in ryhme and the stories are about friendship.
http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Snores-Ka...9909293&sr=1-2

We have a year pass to the LA Zoo (with THANKS TO MY HOLIDAY HELPER FOR 2006!), and they have a storytime where they choose a book and get costuming so kids can act out the parts. My very shy, introverted 3 yo wanted to participate in their rendition of Bear Snores On. I thought she was kidding, but sure enough, she raised her hand and walked on down to the front. She chose to be the mouse.

Back on topic, thanks for these suggestions! As you can see, I love the Bear series. If you can find/ remember, I'd love to hear your Dr. Seuss, non-gnome suggestions as well.
#7 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 02:30 PM

I'd recommend "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?". Ironically, I found it far more lyrical for the ear than "Polar Bear Polar Bear, What do you Hear?".

My children loved "Tiki Tiki Tumbo". Another great one is "Carry Me!" by Rosemary Wells. And I remember my youngest loved fun poems from "The LLama Who had no Pajama", but I'm trying to remember how young he was then.
#8 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post

We have a year pass to the LA Zoo (with THANKS TO MY HOLIDAY HELPER FOR 2006!), and they have a storytime where they choose a book and get costuming so kids can act out the parts. My very shy, introverted 3 yo wanted to participate in their rendition of Bear Snores On. I thought she was kidding, but sure enough, she raised her hand and walked on down to the front. She chose to be the mouse.
That's really sweet. I think the bear books are really marvelous and I love how they look like proper animals and don't have cutsy names either.

Quote:
Back on topic, thanks for these suggestions! As you can see, I love the Bear series. If you can find/ remember, I'd love to hear your Dr. Seuss, non-gnome suggestions as well.
Some of our favorite Dr. Seuss are:
Fox in Socks
Cat in the Hat & Cat in the Hat Comes Back
Green Eggs and Ham
Sneetches and Other Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaCl View Post
I'd recommend "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?". Ironically, I found it far more lyrical for the ear than "Polar Bear Polar Bear, What do you Hear?".
We LOVE all the Eric Carle books, the art is gorgeous and the stories ar really touching in a simple way. It's great how the ones that involve animals actually do teach you something about the animal.
One of our favorite Eric Carle book is Mr. Seahorse, it's a really positive about the role of dads.
http://www.amazon.com/Mister-Seahors...0044032&sr=8-2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page