Need before school routine ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! Our DD will be 4 at the beginning of August and will start at a waldorf pre-k/k program at the end of August. I need ideas for our morning/before school routine. She usually wakes up on her own anywhere from 6:30-7:30, but she needs some time to chill out and really "wake up." To date, this has been one of the few times that we let her watch tv : . So, obviously, we need to figure out another way for her to start waking up. Any ideas? It usually takes her anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes, and then she'll eat breakfast and start getting dressed.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Are you up too? Early morning is a beautiful time to sit outside if you have a decent yard for it. Or maybe calm music and a simple and structured toy like puzzles or something, or you could read a wake-up story (some things are easier to spend time processing when waking up instead of going to sleep) or record yourself reading one if it's supposed to be alone time.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 PM

Instead of waking DS up abruptly I like to use the soft windchimes in his room and sometimes I sing a song like "here comes the sun". He still gets grumpy when he is waking up but he handles it a lot better than me just shaking him and telling him to get up.

Other than that I would just try to allow plenty of time for her to come around if possible. I know every child is different but my DS is usually good if he has some time to get up, lie on the couch for a few minutes and be lazy, instead of being told military style to get dressed, eat breakfast, etc. I don't know much about the tv thing because we don't do that here.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Banned

We are lucky, our ds is definitely a morning person,....he got that from dad!
I was always a slow person in the morning and liked to take it slow as well, my mother used to wake us up every morning with a cup of hot chocolate in her hands!

Not sure how tooth friendly that was, but you might want to try it with a warm cup of milk? It still gives you that cozy warm feeling from sleep but you are getting ready for the day. :
Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 PM

what about lighting a candle that you blow out before you leave the house?

or you could rub her feet. I had a boyfriend that used to wake me up like this at 5am, and I was all too happy to get up and make breakfast for him. It gets the circulation going.

could she do a little stretching routine in bed?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 PM

Oh Maggie, the hot chocolate ritual sounds so sweet (no pun intended). I'm sure you have many fond memories of that.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:05 PM

how about letting her pick out a book to read and you snuggle up together with the book?
: : :
Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch View Post
Oh Maggie, the hot chocolate ritual sounds so sweet (no pun intended). I'm sure you have many fond memories of that.
Yes, I do! My mom knew better..., I was in a horrible mood when I woke up and there was no cocoa. Poor mom!
A friend of mine is similar, you still can only wake her up when you say nicely "coffee is ready"....do not dare to tell her to only "wake up!"....
Actually talking about rituals,...got to get my cup of tea!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:32 AM

there is a new book out called "Heaven on Earth a handbook for parents of young children" by Sharifa Oppenheimer

it's getting rave reviews from a lot of the mom's at our waldorf school. she talks about all kinds of rythms, food, bedtime, the day etc.

blessings and good luck ~ ani
Old 07-12-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all. I think part of my struggle is that DH and I are both trying to get ready for work and the little one (13 mos) usually wakes up when her Big Sis wakes up, so there's a lot going on. We might have to just figure out a way to have a 15-30 minute break when she wakes up and take that time to do something together. I like the stretching idea - maybe we could do a little yoga together. The other hard thing to this point has been that she fluctuates in what time she wakes up, so we don't have a good routine. But when school starts up, that will change since we'll have the same routine every school day morning (up to now she's only had school 3 days a week). And thanks for the book reco - I'll check that out!

User Tag List