Mainstream - alternative toys for boys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like some ideas for alternative toys to hot wheels and spider man / superheros. Are hot wheels very 'un-waldorf'? They have no batteries and only do what the child imagines. I had bought some wooden vehicles and they are just not as interesting to him (my 4 yo DS). How could I hype up a waldorf 'character' toy to him. Thank you in advance for sharing ideas.
#2 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Um, let's see, let me try.....
1. A child's tool set? He might be a bit young, but maybe he'd like some simple tools.
2. Folkmanis puppets like dragons, reptiles, wolves, exciting animals?
3. I think Hot Wheels are okay, BTW.
4. Maybe water toys, like ships, or things that float.

Hyping up a Waldorf character? I would try making or getting a costume to go with it- like a shield or sword, pirate costumes, etc. So he could dress up as this character. Hope all this helps.
#3 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
My four year old grandson has a lot of cars and trucks and motorcycles and even a little toy helicopter and airplane. Some are plastic. He got a nice parking garage with a roadway, a car wash and a service station at a garage sale, which he loves to play with. He also has nicely finished wooden boards that can be used as car ramps. And he loves his construction equipment toys. Bulldozer, crane, etc. Some are permanent outdoor toys, some stay inside. He has a plastic lawnmower from a garage sale that he loves. It doesn't make noise, which his mom appreciates.

He loves his marble game that he uses to build complicated marble runs. He also likes the play kitchen for making tea and fixing lunch. Lately he and his sister have been playing restaurant, using the kitchen.

Books are a big treat.

He has a tricycle, a bike with training wheels, and a scooter. In the winter they go sledding and snow-shoeing and he is beginning to learn cross-country skiing.

He likes to play dress-up. Since he has a big sister this frequently involves pink and long skirts!

I forgot to mention the blocks. They have both the tree slice blocks and the more normal wooden blocks, which are combined as needed. Yesterday, when I came over they were building a city.

My grandson was explaining that they have imps in the house, so sometimes he hides his toys so the imps can't find them. I think he made this one up, or heard it from his sister.
#4 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 11:56 AM

My DS is 3 and loves to pay with "tents". I sometimes drape a sheet over between my two couches. We are waiting on a playstand from www.willowtoys.com He also likes to play with the play kitchen. He loves his hot wheels, though. I just got him a batman costume to wear for play. We have tried to do mostly cloth and wood, however it is important to me to have a certain level of balance. I am not sure that I would ever rule out the hotwheels or his transformers (the cars that turn into guys). For me i think it is because I grew up in such a strict household that I want him to have "room to grow" and to learn from guidance, It is really a personal thing though. If you really want to not have plastics.. I would suggest a playstand, playsilks, and wooden trains. We got my DS a train table at costco for 130. It came with the wooden train track and train. He plays with it daily as does my cousin's DS who is now 5. Ikea has a train set for under 25 I think with the train and tracks. It is similar to the one we have and it is compatible with it

hope that helps!

Kristi
#5 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 05:05 PM

I really think if the toy is relatively simple and open-ended it is probably fine. DS (nearly four years old) has mostly wooden cars/trucks/tractors but he has got a few plastic and metal ones as well.
Plan toys makes some great wooden construction vehicles which are small (around the hot wheel size) and fairly detailed which most boys seem to like.
We have never done TV or characters with DS so he has no idea what or who super heroes are- but he does have that "hero" side to him and appreciates toughness and bravery. He loves knights, specifically Saint George. He has got a little 5" Knight which I knitted and a wooden dragon so he plays Saint George a lot. He has asked me to make more knights.
He has also got a little King, farmer doll, and gnome dolls of around that 5" proportion-he is very happy with these "hero" figures, especially since they've got little horses.
His other favorite things which get almost daily use:
blocks and logs
wooden tunnels (in the elements shapes)
beanbags
playsilks
books
wooden garage with road
little farm animals
baskets and buckets (for filling and toting things around).
hats- amazing how he can transform with just a hat!

ETA: to hype up more "Waldorfy" characters- all we've done is read him lots of stories with knights, gnomes, etc. and he loves them, and goes and plays it out.
#6 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 05:15 PM

We have the PLAN forklift truck which is awesome for my three year old. He loves it! Tools are huge here, lots of wood scraps, a wooden toolbox, and real tools. He has wooden cars and a train. Wooden tree blocks and a good block set are huge for my three year old.
#7 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM

my eldest LOVES hotwheel cars and i swear he always will. he also lke dress up costumes with knights and the like. lincoln logs are good, tinkertoys, things we find in nature..shells,stones,gourds,indian corn, sand, and good quality art supplies are easy to get
#8 of 8 Old 10-28-2007, 09:06 PM

4yo ds couldn't care less about hotwheels...funny.

he loves:
dressing up (pirate, chef, Robin hood, Native American, a varity of animals)
building things
painting
playing with his castle& people
connecting endless things across the house that involve stuffed animals and ropes and blocks, and pillows, and mama tripping over everything:
playing outdoors a lot
Tinkertoys
playdough
swords and shields, and even a battleaxe
stringing beads
marble tower
play food
and of course: his train set!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page