Easter Waldorf Ideas - Mothering Forums
Waldorf > Easter Waldorf Ideas
Attached Mama's Avatar Attached Mama 02:54 PM 02-11-2008
Ok, so I know I'm a little early, but I'm losing motivation for anymore Valentine ideas since it's this week. So after this week I want to start on Easter as it's early this year - only a month away.

Any good ideas? Likely we will still have snow, but I don't mind if the inside of our house doesn't coordinate exactly with the season outside.

dharmama's Avatar dharmama 06:51 PM 02-11-2008
I bought a bunch of bulbs (75% off!!) at the garden store near me and I'm planning to force them as gifts for grandparents, godparents etc.

Oh and I'm thinking of making felted eggs.

That's all I have so far so I'm eager to hear other's ideas!!
muse's Avatar muse 08:02 PM 02-11-2008
We have an easter tree each year; a bare branch or one with budding blossoms, and we hang dyed eggs on it. We dye the eggs with natural food dyes (onions, turmeric, coffee, beets) or tissue paper & vinegar.
last year we planted a tray of grass seed into a "mini spring garden" and decorated with little bunnies, sheep, birds and a pond, path, bridge etc. We also make felted eggs and felted/knitted animals.
fluttermama's Avatar fluttermama 06:19 PM 02-12-2008
The children plant grass in baskets for their Easter Baskets which is always fun...then we hide gifts in the baskets for Easter morning. I got a great sticker calendar for the 50 days of Easter by Tomie DePaola at Beulah Enterprises online for $6.
Attached Mama's Avatar Attached Mama 04:30 PM 02-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttermama View Post
The children plant grass in baskets for their Easter Baskets which is always fun...then we hide gifts in the baskets for Easter morning. I got a great sticker calendar for the 50 days of Easter by Tomie DePaola at Beulah Enterprises online for $6.

Ooh!! I love that idea! I always buy the "paper" grass and think I"m being so much more ecological than buying the awful plastic stuff. But planting real grass is just brilliant! Duh! Shows how far we are from our natural roots I guess - even those of us who try not to be.
AuntLavender's Avatar AuntLavender 06:58 PM 02-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mama View Post
Ooh!! I love that idea! I always buy the "paper" grass and think I"m being so much more ecological than buying the awful plastic stuff. But planting real grass is just brilliant! Duh! Shows how far we are from our natural roots I guess - even those of us who try not to be.
in the past when I didn't grow grass. It's hard to find grass seed that is untreated. I usually use herb seeds since in the beginning it all looks like grass. Those cancer warnings on treated grass seed scare me (you're not to touch it and you should change your clothes after handling, etc.).
AuntLavender's Avatar AuntLavender 07:01 PM 02-13-2008
and it has Easter ideas (http://www.amazon.com/Crafts-through...2936556&sr=8-1). Also there is a separate book "The Easter Craft book" that is a good resource (http://www.amazon.com/Easter-Craft-B...2936598&sr=1-1).

My girls esp like making the concertina bunnies. You know you fold paper and cut out a bunny shape and when you open up the paper you have several sets of bunnies facing each other/holding paws/sharing a basket. Children are very creative with these types of crafts when left to decide on their own!
Deborah's Avatar Deborah 12:42 AM 02-14-2008
Natural dyed easter eggs are fun. Use non-toxic natural dyes--two easy ones are onion skins and cochineal (dead bugs, sorry). What makes this a super project is to pick bits of edible weeds (dandelions for example) and use scraps of old nylons to hold the leaves against the eggs. Here are the steps.

Obtain your dyestuffs. Only use non-toxic natural dyes.

Collect old pantyhose or knee-hi's and also some twist-ties.

Get a couple of pots the right size for the number of eggs you are planning to dye. The eggs can be raw because they will be hardboiled in the dye bath.

On the day, go out with the children and hunt leaves. You need to know your local edible weeds, but of course I'm sure you do and if you don't get a book from the library.

Put the dyestuffs you've chosen into water in the pots and start cooking. The more dyestuff, the darker the color. A tablespoon of cochineal will produce a huge amount of dye, several handfuls of onion skins should be enough for a fair-sized pot (2 quarts).

While the water is getting to the boil, help the children to press the leaves against the eggs and wrap them in the nylons, using twist-ties to hold them tight.

When the dye-baths are looking fairly rich, reduce the heat to avoid cracking the eggs and gently slide them into the water. Then raise the heat enough to cook them, time them for hard-boiled eggs and voila. The results are really gorgeous. You can also do the thing where you turn off the water after a little bit of boiling and let the eggs sit in the gradually cooling water to finish cooking.

It is a good many years since I did this and I can't remember the other dyes we used. Maybe dandelion greens? A lot of plants will dye eggs yellow. Onion skins do a warm brownish yellow, but with the leaf patterns it is quite lovely. Cochineal produces a purple-red. It is a safe dye. It used to be used as a food coloring before they invented all the nasty crap they use nowadays.
sunnysky's Avatar sunnysky 11:09 PM 02-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntLavender View Post
in the past when I didn't grow grass. It's hard to find grass seed that is untreated. I usually use herb seeds since in the beginning it all looks like grass. Those cancer warnings on treated grass seed scare me (you're not to touch it and you should change your clothes after handling, etc.).
We usually just buy wheat in the bulk section of our HFS. You can even sprout them a little bit first and then just sprinkle them in shallow dishes with some earth, cover a little it. Water every day, could use a spray bottle, kids love that usually. What grass grows super fast and you can get it organic and cheap.
fluttermama's Avatar fluttermama 10:54 AM 02-15-2008
Quote:
It's hard to find grass seed that is untreated. I usually use herb seeds since in the beginning it all looks like grass
yeah, I think ours was organic wheatgrass...we live in Lancaster in farmland so seed stores are all over the place.
EStraiton's Avatar EStraiton 01:16 PM 03-02-2008
Here is a cute felted chick and egg that we may try:
http://www.waldorfresources.org/gall...s/felteggs.php

We are also making egg shell gardens... I'll share the directions:

Egg Shell Garden

Supplies Needed:
Eggshells (colored or plain)
Pieces of Sponge
Grass Seed
Water

Place a piece of sponge inside of the broken eggshell. Add a small amount of water to the sponge to make it moist. Sprinkle grass seed on top of the sponge. Each day water the seed lightly. In approximately one week you should see the grass growing.

You can share the following verse as you make your gardens:

Kind hearts are the gardens;
Kind thoughts are the roots;
Kind words are the blossoms;
Kind deeds are the fruits.
And sunbeams of love in these heart-gardens glow,
That put out the world's darkness, and make Easter
buds grow.

frostysarah's Avatar frostysarah 11:34 AM 03-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
We have an easter tree each year; a bare branch or one with budding blossoms, and we hang dyed eggs on it.
OK, stupid question that shows just how much help I tend to need with these types of things: how do you make the branch stand? A pot of soil? Any ideas for a family with a cat that will dig up anything in dirt?
Mama2E&O's Avatar Mama2E&O 12:05 PM 03-03-2008
For our Easter branches, we often will put them in a mason jar of water, so the buds can stay alive and possibly bloom.
This year I think we may use birch branches which were cut in winter, so we may put them into a terra cotta pot with small stones in it to hold them up.
The other thing you can do is put the branches in potting soil, and plant seed in the soil so that you've got real "grass" growing to symbolize spring.
Up