Play "area": 1st pics post 19, PLAYSTANDS HERE pics post 26!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 02-24-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first time posting in this area (and looking at it too!)

DS is 16 months old and we're starting to really think more about toys... he has gotten tons of electronic toys but they ALL stay at GMIL's house. He has some plastics here though, and some toys I'd just like to either get rid of or trade for more quality wooden ones (ie the rainbow stacking plastic one.... top of it got eaten by our dog )

DH has given me the go ahead to get one of Those playstands... which will be over in this area... and I'll be getting a few cheaper wooden toys also from http://www.downtoearthtoys.com/

Toy kitchen is coming in the FAR future... only have smaller funds now and have my heart set on that big playstand since he LOVES forts/houses.

Anyway, what would you toss? Replace? Keep? What would you change? (oh and btw, the basket under those balls has 2 sets of haba blocks)

Thanks!!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ebruary107.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ebruary108.jpg

ADDED FIRST ROUND OF A MILLION PICTURES POST 19... MORE COMING TOMORROW!!!

ADDED (well, adding in a second) STAGE 8 and 9 pics (nova toys and PLAYSTANDS!!!) post 26!!!!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#2 of 36 Old 02-24-2008, 07:49 PM

What a beautiful space you have created for your son!!!

Some things I might add to the space (over time...not all at once)...

Baskets/bowls with stones, pieces of branches, crystals, shells, pine cones
Pots, pans, wooden spoons
A small table/chairs
Playsilks (you can buy blanks at Dharma Trading and dye them with Koolaid...really easy and fun )

We received playstands for Christmas (DD's godparents made them for her ) and they have added SO much to our space!!!

Have fun creating and playing!

~Erin
#3 of 36 Old 02-25-2008, 12:14 AM

Looks like a fun place to play!

At some point, I would add more shelves for storage. It will help keep it neater. (because I doubt it will stay looking as perfect as it does now! )

That's on my wishlist for my kids' room, anyway. Lots of shelves with baskets for storage. Ahh...neatness.
#4 of 36 Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 AM

When my kids reached that age, they adored their toddler push-bike. I know Magic Cabin has some very cute ones. Another great toy for that age is a push-wagon or doll pram; the wooden ones can be pricy, but both of my kids played with their push-wagon all day long.

My two-year old just got this doll: http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=730

I like it because it has a velour body, so when he wants to take the overalls off, the doll doesn't have that abandoned naked doll look.

I wouldn't worry about getting a wooden kitchen right away. My kids love their play food, but they spend just as much time "cooking" on the ottoman or the floor as they do at their little red kitchen. It's more about having pots and pans and sliceable fruit than having the perfect little cupboard to store it all in, in my opinion.

Check out the arts and crafts folder for some great and easy to make felt food pictures.

You have a great space!
#5 of 36 Old 02-26-2008, 01:22 PM

Hello all,
I am also a first-time poster in this area, but have been reading with great interest for awhile.

I am curious what you all think about the alphabet mat in the OP's play area? My DS is 2.5 and the alphabet in heavy on my mind right now. He is picking up phonics and showing interest in reading/spelling/etc. and I had been scratching my head about this, since I didn't feel like we were really "teaching" him any of that stuff. And then one day I stopped to think about all of the alphabet stuff we were unconsciously exposing him to -- through things very similar to that mat. My assumption is that Waldorf purists would definitely discourage this type of alphabet exposure ... but I'm curious about all of you here, purists and not.

And I guess my question also goes deeper (sorry for the hijack) ... how to handle the results of that exposure? Is it "too late" to follow Waldorf principles for these preschool years?

Thanks for your input

P.S. to the OP -- I second some of the earlier recs -- playsilks, playstands, table/chairs. I wish I had kept things even more open-ended than we did/are doing. My DS can really be happy with *very* few toys ... and pretend they are all kinds of things. So, simple blocks, pinecones, etc. can go a long way.
#6 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 AM

mamaecb- I'm not a big fan of the alphabet mat myself, mainly because children that age are too young to really understand what they are being taught. They only learn from imitation. I'm not saying it would hurt anything either but even though my DS for instance seems really interested in science for example, it is not age appropriate for me to explore that with him right now. Doing so would be more of an unschooling than waldorf type of philosophy. JMO though so take it as you will.

I also didn't introduce our family to waldorf philosophy until a year ago and my son is six so no, it isn't too late. He has blossomed in so many ways since we got rid of the tv and put him in waldorf kindergarten.

To the OP- You are so lucky to be doing this when your child is so young because they really won't notice many of the changes anyway. Believe me, I waited until mine was five.

Personally I would probably only keep some books, baskets, and anything cloth or wooden. If there is a particular toy your child will have a hard time parting with, I would still keep it and see if they grow out of it eventually. The great thing about that age is that they really don't need a lot of toys anyway. I would probably add some playsilks, some wooden nesting, push/pull type of toys....as unfinished as possible.

I would also replace the current mat with a lovely sheepskin rug. They seem to be only marketed to babies but we bought ours for christmas and DD is over a year old. Both she and my six year old play on it. The six year old even carries it out to lie on the couch sometimes. Plus, it would add some great softness and texture to the room.

Of course all of these things cost money and believe me, we have invested a little at a time at our house.
#7 of 36 Old 02-28-2008, 02:29 AM

I got rid of things as I could afford to replace them. Most of our Waldorf-minded toys came from birthday and Christmas. When Noli was about 18 months, I went through her room and did a major overhaul, sorting what I should keep and what I should toss. She was too young (and still is, at almost 2) to remember the toys that went missing, or care about owning them. I held to this rule: If it was made of plastic, required batteries, or was superfluous (like 7 of the 8 teddy bears), it was removed. Unfortunately DH is not so passionate about natural toys as I am so I had to be flexible and keep more than I would have liked, but now 95% of her toys are wooden or cloth, and most of them are pretty open-ended. That's another good rule: if the toy can only serve one purpose, it should go. You really can't do much with a talking telephone, but you can play a new game every day with a set of wooden blocks.

Look on the thread in this forum about play spaces- it has some great pictures for inspiration. And threesisterstoys.com has a set of playroom photos, too, with playstands. (OH how I want one!!)
#8 of 36 Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hehehe, you can see in my blog what all I ordered. Most of the tax refund is gone, but I do want to get a rug. The reason I got the ABC letters in the first place was because A) it "defined" his toy area... ie, if I was in a hurry, just throw everything onto the letters... not so much for him to KEEP his toys on there, but more for DH to know where NOT to step, IYKWIM. and B) 6 months ago we couldn't afford a play house, and these blocks you're able to build into a "fort", which we did for quite awhile. I really don't like them because they're irritating--DS is always taking the letters out!!!

Anywho, I'm keeping TWO plastic things (one because of sentimental reason and only until the dog gets ahold of the REST of the pieces, the other because it's his favorite... no batteries, they are just the plastic barrels that close up inside each other). I did have a large basket of stuffed animals/dolls, but our dog made sure that didn't stay superfluous, if y'all know what I mean. There is a bear and a doll left that I guard carefully.

I have a very vivid memory from when DS was six months old of family members LAUGHING at me when I said I was going to have a play room with very very few toys, no electronics, and mostly wood. I was very serious... had no idea what "waldorf" was then at all... I've done pretty well as we have NO electronics at all and only 3-4 plastic toys (gifts). And they thought it just wasn't possible...

Thanks for all the advice. I'm THRILLED.

PS) I bought a huge playsilk to go over the play stands (yep, the play stands, this is why I can't afford that nice rug!)... when it came I was SO SO SO mad, because it folded up to smaller than the size of a tissue! I thought I'd been ripped off! And then I unfolded it......... it was HUGE. It was bigger than my LIVING ROOM. Chalk it up to my first experience with playsilks!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#9 of 36 Old 02-29-2008, 03:16 AM

what sticks out to me as something to get rid of is the Diego ball. I love Diergo and all but the paint always chips off those type of balls and I'm bettin' that paint is lead filled.

i like the wooden turtle!

::
#10 of 36 Old 02-29-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
what sticks out to me as something to get rid of is the Diego ball. I love Diergo and all but the paint always chips off those type of balls and I'm bettin' that paint is lead filled.

i like the wooden turtle!

Yep, I planned on that one. The only ball he EVER plays with is the huge blue one anyway! The small blue ball is losing inflation anyway as well (it's a Tigger ball) Not to mention I can't have a boy with a set of blue balls IYKWIM

The wooden turtle was a gift from my grandparents in Germany. I love it!

#11 of 36 Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymw View Post
PS) I bought a huge playsilk to go over the play stands (yep, the play stands, this is why I can't afford that nice rug!)... when it came I was SO SO SO mad, because it folded up to smaller than the size of a tissue! I thought I'd been ripped off! And then I unfolded it......... it was HUGE. It was bigger than my LIVING ROOM. Chalk it up to my first experience with playsilks!

Well, don't feel bad because I have the nice rug but no playstands.
Sometimes it is tough picking and choosing.
#12 of 36 Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Besides, you said the rug is used to kind of divide the play area from the rest of the room. Now the playstands will do that instead, so you don't have to worry about it at all!
#13 of 36 Old 03-03-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, I took the ABC's out today (I changed DS's diaper and there was a piece of foam in it!!!! AAAAHH!!! From the number seven!!!)

I went to WM (I know, I know, but now I AM running out of money!) and bought a huge rug.

If the playstands ever get here (I know, I'm very impatient) I'll post before and after pics... I have pics from every stage of playroom evolution, from when he was 1 year old and I kept all his toys on the bottom shelf of a small book shelf!!

#14 of 36 Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM

I had that same koala bear when I was little! Good for the dog for not going after that one

I think you've done a great job with keeping things simple and uncluttered. I think I would fill the baskets with things like interesting rocks and shells. Smooth river rocks feel very nice to touch, they're a favourite of my cousin's son. He always takes out a bunch to hold and to play with when he's here. Shells also have many interesting textures. When he's older you can also do acorns, crystals, and branches. Also playsilks or silk scarves, as have been mentioned many times. These are so versatile and so much fun to add to play.

One toy I would suggest is a set of blocks. They are one of the most open ended toys and children learn so much from playing with them. Maybe not right away since you have those stacking toys that are essentially blocks, but when he's a little older. If you wanted to now, a basket with 10 or so wooden blocks might be a nice addition, and easy clean up if he dumps them on the floor.

I can't wait to see the after pictures

Nikki crochetsmilie.gif, partner to Jeremy guitar.gif. Baby Joshua Nolan is finally here after a many year struggle with infertility. I blog at www.loliecraft.blogspot.com. dog2.gifcat.gifhamster.jpghamster.jpg

#15 of 36 Old 03-03-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Tee hee hee, since it's actually clean, you can't see them--but I have two nice sets of haba blocks in that large basket. DS LOVES them!

I've gotten a few more baskets, and as it gets warmer we'll probably put some river rocks in one of them (heh, we live right by a river!).

I think we made that Koala at build a bear. He's wearing a skateboard outfit. Because DH thought he could skateboard... LOL!

Anyway, back to being impatient and excited. At least the Nova Natural toys will be here Wednesday!

And sadly enough, two of my new toys that came in the mail have been chewed on by the dog... I don't know WHAT's gotten into him lately, I think he's acting weird b/c I'm pregnant because he NEVER chews on stuff!! But anywho, he chewed on the lid to a cooking set and the tires of our made in the USA wooden car good thing is I think I can just get some sandpaper and ghetto it up really nice... gotta love wood!

#16 of 36 Old 03-04-2008, 01:58 AM

Oh no! At least you'll be able to fix them with a little sandpaper.

With our dog, if we don't give her an outlet for her chewing she'll start chewing up our things. She always seems to go for wood too, I think they like the feel of it, and we have to redirect her to something that's okay for her to chew. Toys aren't enough for her either, she needs something like Bull Wrinkles/Bully Sticks that she can chew apart.

I'm glad you're getting your toys in, that means pictures for us soon

Nikki crochetsmilie.gif, partner to Jeremy guitar.gif. Baby Joshua Nolan is finally here after a many year struggle with infertility. I blog at www.loliecraft.blogspot.com. dog2.gifcat.gifhamster.jpghamster.jpg

#17 of 36 Old 03-04-2008, 04:03 PM

Congrats, glad you're having so much fun with it, and I can't wait to see your after pics!
Curious...did you keep the Little people ark? When I got rid of all DS's plastic toys (all gifts) I did keep our LP Ark and a couple of playmobile items. My 17 month old son does like one of the playmobile items a lot (a fire truck...I know, not entirely open ended, but he is so young and he loves to just push it around, which I think is fine) but he isn't playing with his ark much...

I have been having rug issues...I ordered a wool braided one from LL Bean but hated the color when it arrived. Now I am thinking about this one from Pottery Barn Pottery Barn Wool Rug I ordered the swatch and I do like it, I'm just kind of letting it "hang around" for awhile to make sure it stands up to wear and tear. Plus the swatch is just the right size for a cat bed!

PS- We have a doggy here too...he has been mostly good but did go after the $$ felted wool balls!

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#18 of 36 Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well, here's our Ultimate Plan... right now all of his electronic gifts go to GMIL's house by default, as we're out there every 2-3 weeks for a night.

I'm taking all the toys that I'm removing from HERE, and taking them to GMIL's house. and then I'm taking the electronics out there to goodwill

He likes the ark, although the dog has already eaten 1 zebra, and the foot off of 1 elephant... LOL

The rug is pretty but it doesn't look like it would last at our house! I don't think ANY rug ever will, so I went ahead and went somewhat cheap $40...

I have pics of stages 1-6 of playroom moving around... wanna see???? Playstands ofc still aren't here but y'all can see what IS done! I also get more stuff tomorrow so by the time the playstands get here, I'll be on Stage Eight or Nine... lol!

#19 of 36 Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Stage 1: When we still lived at GMIL's house...
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...w/bdaypic2.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...w/bdaypic6.jpg

Stage 2: Christmas 2007, moved into our new place!
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...istmastime.jpg

Stage 3: Moved stuff to the opposite wall where the computer was
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ebruary107.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...ebruary108.jpg

Stage 4: Got rid of the white shelf, got some new toys and learning tower
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...2008-02001.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...08-02002-1.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...08-02004-1.jpg

Stage 5: Dumped the ABC's
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...2008-02006.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...08-02007-1.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...08-02008-1.jpg

Stage 6: rearranged toys (I know, this is getting ridiculous)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...008-02001a.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...008-02002a.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...008-02003a.jpg

Stage 7: Switched the dining room and play area around, got a new rug
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm017.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm016.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm014.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm013.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm012.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm015.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm010.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm011.jpg

Okay, more tomorrow when the Nova Natural stuff comes!!

Oh, and a few of DH and DS playing today... too cute...
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm019.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...b09plrm025.jpg

#20 of 36 Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM

Love how the rug defines the play area! Great job!

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#21 of 36 Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Looks great! I can't wait to see more pictures
#22 of 36 Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 PM

I love how the rug makes it into such a cozy play area. It looks great! The playing pictures are too cute

#23 of 36 Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 PM

I like it!! Our kitchen is far away from the living room, so I can never see DD playing in the living room while I'm in there; she has to sit on the cold tile floor to play. I like that your space is so open, so you can cook or wash dishes while DS plays on his rug, and neither of you have to feel too far away from the other.

I can't wait to see the playstands!!
#24 of 36 Old 03-05-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Playstands have shipped and are scheduled to arrive FRIDAY!!!

*does a happy happy happy happy dance!!!*

#25 of 36 Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 PM

It looked so clean, I was a bit jealous....but then I saw him playing hehe I will have to take a picture of our play area !!
#27 of 36 Old 03-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Looks really nice Sunny! Glad the playstands finally made it to you! The silks look awesome!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#28 of 36 Old 03-08-2008, 06:44 PM

GREAT pictures! Thank you so much for sharing. The pics of dh and ds are heartbreakingly adorable.... I can't wait till my girls are old enough to actually play like that.

I had just decided to wait on playstands until I saw your pics and now I've changed my mind yet again. I love how they really define the play space.

I had a question about the drum and instrument set you have. I was thinking about getting that too but wanted to make sure that you thought it was worth the $$$. Do you guys like it?

Great play area!
#29 of 36 Old 03-08-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Yes, we like it a ton. We've had it about seven ish months, and it's still intact despite a ton of abuse. DS bangs the red things on everything so the paint on the edges is starting to chip just a bit... but ya know the age is supposed to be 3+, and a 3 yo wouldn't abuse it quite this badly Hehehe.

The playstands are totally worth it. Totally.

And pps, the brown thing is actually a shawl I got from our local... pot head shop for fifteen bucks.

#30 of 36 Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Sunny!!! It looks BEAUTIFUL!! You are all going to enjoy this space for many years to come!! Congratulations!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page