Anyone do Waldorf education while in full-time non-Waldorf childcare? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Has anyone had sucess implementing Waldorf-ish methods and ideas into their home when the child is not in Waldorf setting during the day?

I am doing my best to create a natural, calming enviroment. And I think my DS(18mnth) would flourish with a routine based on the natural rythms of the day...but, I'm the primary income and DH is gone pretty regularly for work/military stuff. So as much as I'd love to be with him all day and get a daily routine...we're limited to after work and weekends. (It's depressing as all heck if I think about to much, but it really isn't a choice.) Seems like the weekends are always busy getting things done that can't get done during the week so it's hard to get a routine in place beyond feeding and napping. I'm very pleased that we'll be switching daycares to one with fewer children and more structure. The chaos wasn't doing good things for my toddler and he was acting out during the week while the big kids have been around for the summer. He is such a sweet, friendly guy, who is really social, but also good with playing on his own...but being surrounded by rowdy big boys was bringing out the aggression in him and he learned the habit of biting and hitting in frustration. Ack.

Any advice for implementing Waldorf pre-school methods at home on a part-time basis?
#2 of 5 Old 07-23-2008, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did this as much as possible during the past year and my son seemed to really love it. My son was only in PT daycare (5 mornings a week until 1) but I know what you mean about things getting hectic. You find your peace and beauty where you can. Next fall he starts waldorf kindergarten (yay!).

I really liked "Earthways" and "Toymaking for Children" as well as "you are your child's first teacher" for practical ideas of activities/structure together (and just gloss over the parts that are guilt-inducing). We did a lot with fairy tales and storytelling... he loved to hear me tell the three billy goats gruff and jack and the beanstalk, and I started doing a lot of storytelling while we are on our way to school, when running errands... we also sing together all the time, and those are parts of the "oral tradition" that you can bring into your routine/daily life even when you aren't home.

Here is my advice: don't think about what you do not have time for, but think about how you can consciously fashion your daily life and the time you DO have together around the ideals of simplicity and peace: routine before bed; creative (but simple!) activities to do together in the evenings (even get it set up for the next day right after he goes to bed? I posted a little list of ideas on my fridge that remind me when I am harried to take a few moments to set up watercolors, sewing, blocks, an easy food prep activity, watering the plants, etc); including your son in child-friendly chores and the care of the home (dishwashing, hanging out/sorting laundry, sweeping, etc); and cutting out as much as possible to carve out some unhurried time together when he is not in school... good luck. Its hard to have a FT out of the home job, but you are providing many important things with your work.

Also, your son is only 18 months, so feeding and napping and making sure to include outdoor physical play is really a lot! As he gets older, he will enter into other kinds of more "waldorfy" activities with you with gusto.

dissertating mom to three

#3 of 5 Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I'd seen those titles, but didn't know if they were relevant when it was part-time. I know he won't be in a Waldorf school...the closest one is 45 mins away and VERY expensive (though beautiful). My hope is to get him into the charter school we live near. It's a classical curriculum (including music and latin) and a year round calendar. Our new daycare provider is a Juliard trained musician and she was very excited to start teaching my son when he's a little older. She's going to use music throughout the day and lots of arts. I'll definately get the books from the library and start thinking of ways to bring a little harmony into our home in evenings and weekends. I know he's very young now, but time goes SO FAST! I feel like if I don't start thinking about decisions while I still have time to research, etc, I will always be making decisions based on bare survival. Day-to-day survival has gotten us this far...but the chaos is starting to show. It's time to bring in some order!

I'm excited to let him start helping out. He loves to have a task - putting something away or bringing us something. He's great at please and thank yous and sorries. We've got the basics. Now it's time to build on it!
#4 of 5 Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are smart to start thinking about it now. I stumbled upon this all in a piecemeal way... (though much of it aligns with what I was doing anyway)

One more thing I realize as you describe your childcare situation (which sounds great!)-- if you have a daycare provider who is excited, of course you should also share these ideas with her-- even provide some of the materials if that helps (actually, kool-aid dying your own playsilks is cheap and fun and fast to do with a little one, you could make a set to keep at daycare... lots of free instructions on the web and the scarves themselves are really inexpensive at Thai Silks). You can collect logs, pine cones, acorns, feathers... stuff like that to have as playthings, etc.

And maybe they have festivals or even trainings and workshops at the Waldorf school... (the festivals are probably free). You can invite the daycare provider and other families she works with. Even though its far away, going once in a while for special events could be fun.

I think that the insights of gifted Waldorf educators can be very useful to you, even if your son never goes to a Waldorf school.

dissertating mom to three

#5 of 5 Old 07-23-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Already planning to do Kool-Aid silks for her daycare! I did a set for us this weekend and it was so fast and easy that I'm looking forward to doing it again! Only took 90 mins to do 12 silks in 6 colors! They turned out lovely! I'm definately planning on planting as many ideas with her as I can. She's got a pre-school curriculum that she's going to use, but she's planning to do more music and crafts then it calls for. I want to mold her into my dream daycare! (I really hope she keeps with the very small group of kids!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page