Do you have plastic toys? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
they have recalled toys, in the past, for having lead on them. the recall wasn't in the US- it was in Europe....but who cares....they are, IMO, frauds. plus alot of the toys are made of cheap pressed wood that can easily splenter. there were several long treads around last christmas that told all the horrible details, but basically, M&D is not a toy i want around.

::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 AM

My question is, how do you make a decision about the toys you already have?

We've got a handful of M&D puzzles and a ton of thrift-store wooden toys. Most are actually adult-sized functional dishes, but some are decorative.

If I removed all suspicious toys from our house, all we would own would be our Willow Toys kitchen and one organic Waldorf doll. For some, this may be plenty, but I think DD would be a little disappointed.

We're having a garage sale soon and I plan to go through her toys with a fine-toothed comb. But every time I turn around there's another pesticide, lead, or environmental issue, and it's hard to find toys that I don't want to get rid of!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
they have recalled toys, in the past, for having lead on them. the recall wasn't in the US- it was in Europe....but who cares....they are, IMO, frauds. plus alot of the toys are made of cheap pressed wood that can easily splenter. there were several long treads around last christmas that told all the horrible details, but basically, M&D is not a toy i want around.
:

What really irks me about M&D is the fact that the toys chip paint almost immediately. It really grossed me out with the play food. A friend had emailed M&D last year when the lead thing was brought out into the open and they never responded back to her questions or concerns. You'd think that a company that size would even have some kind of standard email response to assure people that their products were fine. I found that terrible customer service.

I ended up selling all the M&D stuff I had. Not because I had concerns about the safety (if that were the case, I would have dumped them in the bins our local children's museum had for possible lead toys), but because I just really hated that my kids were at an age where they were mouthing things and I hate them ingesting chipped paint. Many, many people don't care about that kind of thing, and I had 2 dozen people respond to my ads on craigslist for these toys.

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandyr View Post
Melissa and Doug toys are tainted??!!! I hadn't heard this! Please elaborate. I may have to cull...
heck yeah! can't stand the company!!
my dd's high lead levels last year are more than likey from them (we are about 95% sure after lead inspectors etc).

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11

User Tag List