What are YOU buying your dc for the holidays? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 114 Old 11-15-2008, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
operamommy, did you make the heavy baby or find one for sale somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 114 Old 11-16-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloHoneySF View Post
Can I throw in another option? We just got a few these horses and they're magificent:

http://www.buntspechte.eu/Horses.481...no_cache=1&L=1

(in a very small voice)
I think I kinda love them more than the Ostheimer
wow!!! where do you find these in the US????? What brand are they? gorgeous!!!!!
#63 of 114 Old 11-16-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynsMomma View Post
wow!!! where do you find these in the US????? What brand are they? gorgeous!!!!!
I too would love to know if these are available in the U.S. - I want some!!!!

FP
#64 of 114 Old 11-16-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamelia View Post
was it this horse?

are the real life colours true to what you see on the screen from the link above? i saw another pic of the same horse and it looked much lighter.

has anyone bought these horses before? i'm tossing up between the ostheimer and engelberger horses.
I'd say that they are pretty true to what you see on screen (That is the one I have, the horse with reins) I was shocked at how beautiful they look in comparison to what you see on line/in catalougues.

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#65 of 114 Old 11-16-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Can I throw in another option? We just got a few these horses and they're magificent:

http://www.buntspechte.eu/Horses.481...no_cache=1&L=1

(in a very small voice)
I think I kinda love them more than the Ostheimer
Pablo, they're sweet, I saw those a couple of weeks ago when I was making my mind up what brand to go with. The Ostheimer ones look alot more angular and these ones are more rounded aren't they? The reason I went with Ostheimer is b/c I felt all the animals suggested more movement and the buntspechte ones looked more grounded (Argghh I can't explain myself very well, sorry) They are very beautiful though, the price tag put me off though as from a quick glance in appeared that the animals were almost twice what the Ostheimer ones were, my husband would have gone spare!!
I think the Ostheimer ones are quite expensive as it is........... I would like to collect some woodland ones for my older girl and the farmyard ones for my younger girl.........of course they will both play with both sets My girls will go crazy for them I know... I think I will want to play with them too.........................................

#66 of 114 Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynsMomma View Post
They're Buntspechte. It was funny, a few weeks ago I was doing an online search for them and saw that the closest place to me that carried them was the Rudolph Steiner College bookstore which is about 80 miles away. The next day, we went to the Waldorf Faire at the local school and a vendor actually had them!

They are so beautifully crafted, the wood is actually sculpted like the animals forms. I ended up emailing the vendor a few days later to have her send me some of the people figures and they are even more amazing! I love that there aren't facial features painted on and the colors are incredibly rich, yet also subtle (if that makes any sense). These figures are more expensive than the Ostheimers and a little more sophisticated if that makes any sense... but my kids were really attracted to them, I think they really liked the texture and feel of the wood.

MamaUK, I know what you mean in terms of movement- many of the Ostheimer figures are shaped like they are in motion and the Buntspechte almost feel like a "still-life". That's why it's nice to have a little of both, right ?

I'm going to put pictures of them up on my blog in the next few days if you want to check them out...

You can order Buntspechte figures in the US from an incredibly lovely woman named Christine who owns www.thePuppenstube.com. She doesn't have them on her site yet, but email her and she is so great to work with! She also has been featured in Living Crafts magazine for her doll handwork and toddler hats which you should check out.

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#67 of 114 Old 11-16-2008, 01:22 PM

thanks mamauk! i think i may go with the ostheimers after all.

does anyone know who makes these blocks? i have only been able to find them at nova natural. the speil and holz ones which are similar only come in a set of 15 max, not 18 and they do not have the description of "3 of each of the 6 different colours" but rather a general block mix. does anyone know who makes these "not blocks" and if they are available anywhere else?
#68 of 114 Old 11-16-2008, 01:24 PM

pablo, can you please let us know when you put the pics up... now i'm intrigued again! i'll hold out ordering the horses till another week or so.
#69 of 114 Old 11-16-2008, 01:38 PM

I bought playstands (finally!) For them both to share.
DD (3) is getting a wooden dollhouse w/ a family and a car

DS (almost 6) is getting a Quadrilla marble run

From the wonderful handmade toy swap I'm getting a crochet doll purse, a wooden car travel mat purse, playfood, a crochet mermaid, tree blocks, bean bag frogs, a tulle tutu, and felt unicorns.

I also have a few small Family pastimes games coming from a co op.

They dont get toys all year, so we do a big christmas for things to play with all year.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#70 of 114 Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniee View Post
operamommy, did you make the heavy baby or find one for sale somewhere?
I'm making it right now. They're really really easy!

A happy woman
#71 of 114 Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
They're Buntspechte. It was funny, a few weeks ago I was doing an online search for them and saw that the closest place to me that carried them was the Rudolph Steiner College bookstore which is about 80 miles away. The next day, we went to the Waldorf Faire at the local school and a vendor actually had them!
Those are gorgeous!! I might have to make a run to Sac!! Did they have alot at the bookstore?:

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#72 of 114 Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM

making a doll, music lessons all wrapped up in playsilks

: blogging about life, beauty, crafting, healing, waldorf...

#73 of 114 Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Wow I'm so thrilled with all the great posts my thread is getting. Everyone is getting some great presents. So I caved and ordered my youngest the haba cash register and just found out that I can get the Pottery Barn Kids shopping cart I was lusting after the only problem is that it will end up costing me $60+ tax's +$25 for s/h!! Ouch! What do you think?? Should I go for it? It's the most decent looking metal shopping cart I've found so far and I just can't seem to find it cheaper.......so should I get it? I have to decide in the next 2 days.

eta: Ok so I guess we are not getting the shopping cart. Dh freaked when he found out that's what I wanted to get. He said they have a kids one at the store he can play with for free and I know he's right, but it's sooo cute. (maybe another year, lol)
#74 of 114 Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivistmama View Post
Those are gorgeous!! I might have to make a run to Sac!! Did they have alot at the bookstore?:
LOL, I heard that the selection isn't too broad... you may want to call first. Christine from The Puppenstube lives in Sebastopol and will be at the SF Waldorf School Winter Fair 12/7. Are you in the Bay Area too?

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#75 of 114 Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 AM

DS is getting a hand made wooden stable that I found for free at a toy swap, and a wooden stove that I found on Craigslist for $15. I am so excited for the holidays!!!!

I also made him some felt food for his kitchen and a hat. (The bigger one is a matching mama hat)

I already had the yarn and the felt, so $15 total on Christmas for him! :

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#76 of 114 Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM

Wow, what a lot of gorgeous and amazing gifts your lucky children are getting this year.

This year I came to the realization that my 5 year old daughter doesn't actually play with toys. She has lots of beautiful Waldorf toys (wooden kitchen, Ostheimer figures, wooded cash register, wooden doll house...) and they are rarely played with. She really enjoys her playsilks to make imaginary scenarios and the like though. She also already has loads of handmade toys and dolls made by me and crafty friends.

Since she is an amazing artist and most of her time is spend working on art we are focusing on that. So, she will get some art supplies, first knitting kits, magnets to hang her art with and her big gift is a decidedly unWaldorfy digital camera. She is constantly using mine and LOVES it. She has come up with some stunning images and I am happy to let her enjoy that.
#77 of 114 Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
LOL, I heard that the selection isn't too broad... you may want to call first. Christine from The Puppenstube lives in Sebastopol and will be at the SF Waldorf School Winter Fair 12/7. Are you in the Bay Area too?
I have been drooling over those horses for a long while now and am insanely jealous (my oldest dd takes horseback riding lessons and is absolutely horse obsessed)! I'm so excited to hear I might be able to get them locally. I'm absolutely going to go to the SF Waldorf School's winter fair!!! Yay - thanks for the tip!

As for us, my 2 year old twin boys will be getting a few of the wooden trains made by John Linck that (thanks to the tip from PabloHoneySF) we scored on craigslist awhile back (we already have quite a few but these will be a nice addition to the collection). One of the boys will be getting the large fire truck by Community Playthings (daddy is a fireman) and the other is getting a tractor (not sure who makes it - got it at a local Waldorfish toy store and it's all wrapped in paper still). I'm considering also getting them each a drum. My 5 year old dd - I'm not too sure about her. We did get her and my 8 year old dd some stocking stuffers - kids card games, crafts, a beginners magic kit for older dd - but I'm blanking on what else. Trying not to go overboard as I tend to do. I did get the entire 'My First Littlehouse' series of books which I think is going to be a gift to all 4 of them from Santa. 8 year old dd is also getting a new horse shirt. I think I did all my shopping for them so I must be forgetting the core gifts but maybe not. I guess I'd better check on that!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#78 of 114 Old 11-21-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
NO I am not in the Bay Area, I wish i was, but I am about 40 minutes east of Sacramento in the foothills. How do I get info on the fair? That sounds great!

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#79 of 114 Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivistmama View Post
NO I am not in the Bay Area, I wish i was, but I am about 40 minutes east of Sacramento in the foothills. How do I get info on the fair? That sounds great!
Here's a link to it.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#80 of 114 Old 11-22-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
I did get the entire 'My First Littlehouse' series of books which I think is going to be a gift to all 4 of them from Santa.

I bought the entire series recently (bar A Farmer Boy's Birthday- wow that one is expensive in paperback) and my LO absolutely ADORES them, gosh the illustrations are just beautiful. Hope your LO's enjoy them :

#81 of 114 Old 11-29-2008, 08:09 AM

o.k so finally I've ordered DC Christmas gifts......:

DS (coming up to 5)

-Box of Lego (ok not strictly waldorfy but he loves it)

DD (2 and a half)

-wooden cash register....http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/produc...ash%20Register

To share....
-box of stockmar crayons
-crayon sharpener
-box of Lyra colouring pencils
-pencil sharpener
-theading beads
-Ostheimer rabbit hutch and three rabbits

Also I am making them some little gnomes and fairies to live in their gnome home....:
#82 of 114 Old 11-29-2008, 09:17 AM

ooooh...I forgot something.

I am also getting them a wooden chalk board (pretty big) with a pack of chalks.
#83 of 114 Old 11-29-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat2116 View Post
ooooh...I forgot something.

I am also getting them a wooden chalk board (pretty big) with a pack of chalks.
Your pressies sound lovely! Is the chalk board from Myriad also?

#84 of 114 Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Your pressies sound lovely! Is the chalk board from Myriad also?
Thanks

Yeah the chalkboard is this one.....http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/produc...ame=Blackboard

sooo exciting!
#85 of 114 Old 12-01-2008, 12:15 AM

My MIL bought ds a Waldorf friend doll from Nova Naturals...Louis. I think it looks a lot like him. I think she thought I was a little crazy for buying a 4 year old boy a doll, but she agreed so I went for it. : I might buy him the pirate outfit from Nova if dh gets a Christmas bonus.
#86 of 114 Old 12-01-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
The baby is getting these blocks ...

What do you think of the blocks? I found them myself on etsy and I'm wondering if they are worth it (shipping costs to the US)? They are beautiful...
#87 of 114 Old 12-01-2008, 02:27 PM

for hannuka dd is getting this and im soooo excited about it haha I think it's so so cute and she is just starting to really use her own spoon and plate and cup.

http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A...egory=52&sc=11
#88 of 114 Old 12-01-2008, 05:45 PM

This is not a gift from me, but I visited my parents on Sunday and instead of a plastic, blinky, loud, battery operated Disney something-or-other that they usually get him, they are giving him a small fish tank! I realize it probably isn't the most "Waldorf" gift of all, but it is a far cry from this, this, and this that he received last year.

Granted, the wagon definitely came in handy, but it is a lot of plastic to have sitting in our house. It now lives outside under a tarp, and the two loud flashy toys had their batteries removed immediately, and have long since disappeared. The fish tank seems so soothing and alive after all of the previous gifts! I am so excited, and most of all, I know DS will LOVE it!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#89 of 114 Old 12-01-2008, 05:58 PM

DS will be one year old.
He is getting knit longies (if I finish them!)
Weleda lotion and hair/body wash
The little red riding hood set from ostheimer

'Santa' is bringing him a foogo
a couple toothbrushes
some bath crayons/markers

His big, special present is a wooden train that my Dad made. It is beautiful!

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#90 of 114 Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Finally decided! DD will be getting a wooden refrigerator to go with her kitchen. A bunk bed for her baby dolls (never mind that my mother just gave her a solid wood cradle for her birthday which she jumped up and down at the sight of but does not play with at. all.) She saw this bunk bed in a catalogue and talks of nothing else. Some beeswax and other Mercurius stuff (I don't remember what I ordered in August! and it's finally here from the co-op). A recorder. Thisfrom my mom. I'm really excited about this one!

For her kitchen: some cloth towels, wooden milk bottle with cups and another small kitchen accessory my mom picked up. Forgive me, I'm pregnant and can't remember everything!

Lastly, I want to knit some playfood to stock her fridge with.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page