What are YOU buying your dc for the holidays? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 114 Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some playsilks that need dying, so those will probably be the main gift. I am hoping to also get a paint board and paint jar holder from natural pod. I could get some cheaper but theirs look so nice I want to spend the money.
I'm hoping for a chance to make some other little crafts, but am not sure what.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#92 of 114 Old 12-04-2008, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had big plans to surprise her Christmas morning with a playstand all set up in the living room but I don't think we'll be able to afford this year. Will she be too big for it next year (she'll be five)?

So instead, I'm making her a "big sister" for the Waldorf doll I made for her a couple of years ago because she's a big sister now and has been asking for one for her Clara. I had plans to do it all secretly but discovered that was pretty much impossible these days with a new baby in the house and every thing. Does that take some of the magic out of receiving a Christmas gift you think for kids? I mean, seeing the actual present before the day?
#93 of 114 Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 AM

yogagirl, I think it will be really special for your dd to see you creating a special doll for her and all the hard work and love that goes into it! If you still want part of it to be a surprise, how about just finishing the clothes or some other detail in secret? That way the vast majority can be sewn any time, and you'll only need a small amount of "secret time". Just an idea!

A happy woman
#94 of 114 Old 12-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
What do you think of the blocks? I found them myself on etsy and I'm wondering if they are worth it (shipping costs to the US)? They are beautiful...
i loved those blocks too. after seeing them on etsy that's all i would talk about for weeks. dh finally went down to the firewood pile and sawed up a live oak log..presto, tree blocks.
#95 of 114 Old 12-05-2008, 01:44 PM

ok, i thought we were doing a simple less is more holiday but thinking about it the list is pretty long.

For DS (2) and DD (5) their main gift is an amazing dollhouse that DH made, totally out of scrap wood (he has carp. skills and all the tools), only buying a bottle of wood glue and screws.!!! (i'll get a pic later)

a set of branch family dolls, plus mil got a set of plan dollhouse dolls

basket of instruments (tamborine, jingle bells, triangle, and rhythm sticks)

wooden firetruck picked up at a local craft fair over the summer

set of wooden blocks

books

pjs

4 playsilks-we're going to dye these ourselves w/ friends and dd might help so not sure yet if they'll be gifts for us or to give away...

i'm so excited for them to wake up christmas morning!!!
#96 of 114 Old 12-05-2008, 11:40 PM

DD (22 months) is getting an amber teething necklace (ouch! 2 year molars!), a harmonica and egg shakers from DH and I. She could use another pair of shoes, I may break down and buy her some new ones! Oh, and some playsilks we're dying w/ friends.

My mom is getting her this stroller. She loves to push a stroller so much, I can't wait to see her with it!! And my mom found it all on her own!!

And Jenn, you must post the pics of the dollhouse!!
#97 of 114 Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meems View Post
DD (22 months) is getting a harmonica and egg shakers from DH and I. She could use another pair of shoes, I may break down and buy her some new ones! Oh, and some playsilks we're dying w/ friends.

My mom is getting her this stroller. She loves to push a stroller so much, I can't wait to see her with it!! And my mom found it all on her own!!

And Jenn, you must post the pics of the dollhouse!!
Love the stroller!! Good job Mom!

Ok here is the link for the pics of the dollhouse. I am so proud of DH, it's so much better than the one we wanted (anna's house in current issue of nova) since he made it!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33104401@N03/

**first time using flickr so let me know if it doesn't work**

#98 of 114 Old 12-06-2008, 03:05 PM

The dollhouse is amazing!! I like the dolphin, and the roof is really beautiful. Wow.
#99 of 114 Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Amazing! Your dh must be so proud of himself!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#100 of 114 Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM

thanks mamas!
#101 of 114 Old 12-06-2008, 05:29 PM

A doll house and art supplies! Can't wait!!
#102 of 114 Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
What do you think of the blocks? I found them myself on etsy and I'm wondering if they are worth it (shipping costs to the US)? They are beautiful...
I really love them. The grain of the wood is really taken into account in the cut of the blocks and they do have a really lovely smooth texture, BUT with shipping, insurance, etc. the blocks came to $70 which was kinda crazy. Since we don't have that many toys for the baby (and aren't planning on getting many) I don't regret buying them since we've been trying to focus on quality rather than quantity. If I could have found something similar in the US though, I think I may have gone that way...

HTH

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#103 of 114 Old 12-07-2008, 04:10 AM

I just finished my order from A Toy Garden last night!

My son is getting the book Block Building for Children, which I would never have thought of, but looked at because of Sonya's recommendation and have high hopes for. He's also getting this stunning color wheel puzzle.

I bought my daughter the extra-large spiel and holtz nesting rainbow, which I have been wanting for her for a year and a half. I finally realized that if I waited much longer, she wouldn't be able to incorporate it has part of her childhood. I also bought her two Kathe Kruse dollhouse-sized fairies. She's getting an unfinished dollhouse from the craft store, and I have plans for the two of us to decoupage the interior and stain the exterior in just the way she wants.

I bought them a Bilibo for them to share, and a set of basic lego, both plastic but hopefully sufficiently open-ended to create hours of fun.
#104 of 114 Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Ok, so I wasn't planning on buying DS anything for Christmas. He's got seasons books for his birthday (the 30th) and a fun toy from Santa, but we were going to make him some wood animals for his Christmas present. It hasn't happened yet, but hopefully will still get done. However...in light of his fascination with all things that come out of the broom cupboard I did a little extra shopping. I found a beautiful ironing board and iron set by a cabinet maker on etsy. The price was very reasonable and all of his other things are beautifully constructed, so I'm excited to see these in person. (He does wood kitchens a table-top kitchens too if anyone is interested!) And I also spent some time the past few days shopping around for small broom and mop. I couldn't find any I really liked for the price I wanted to pay until I stumbled on some Montessari supply stores. They had some very reasonably priced ones and I was able to get a little lambs wool duster too! I'm not gung ho about some of the Montessari theories, but letting the children learn to help around the house seems to be a big focus and so they've got all sorts of kid sized functional yard, house and kitchen implements. I may end up there again.

Summary: I'm amused that my DS's 2nd Christmas is all cleaning implements, but he's going to be so excited!
#105 of 114 Old 12-11-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3901sca View Post
Ok, so I wasn't planning on buying DS anything for Christmas. He's got seasons books for his birthday (the 30th) and a fun toy from Santa, but we were going to make him some wood animals for his Christmas present. It hasn't happened yet, but hopefully will still get done. However...in light of his fascination with all things that come out of the broom cupboard I did a little extra shopping. I found a beautiful ironing board and iron set by a cabinet maker on etsy. The price was very reasonable and all of his other things are beautifully constructed, so I'm excited to see these in person. (He does wood kitchens a table-top kitchens too if anyone is interested!) And I also spent some time the past few days shopping around for small broom and mop. I couldn't find any I really liked for the price I wanted to pay until I stumbled on some Montessari supply stores. They had some very reasonably priced ones and I was able to get a little lambs wool duster too! I'm not gung ho about some of the Montessari theories, but letting the children learn to help around the house seems to be a big focus and so they've got all sorts of kid sized functional yard, house and kitchen implements. I may end up there again.

Summary: I'm amused that my DS's 2nd Christmas is all cleaning implements, but he's going to be so excited!
I'd love to know the links I still haven't settled on a second gift for my little ds but I was thinking of getting him a little sweeper and dustpan from naturalpod.ca. He does already have a broom he loves and I know he would love a sweeper and dustpan b/c he loves ours, lol. But I am still torn and have very little time left, ugh.
#106 of 114 Old 12-11-2008, 03:35 PM

cera - I don't know where the pp ordered from, but we get the For Small Hands catalog which carries all of that.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#107 of 114 Old 12-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
cera - I don't know where the pp ordered from, but we get the For Small Hands catalog which carries all of that.
That's the one!!! I think we'll definitely be shopping there again in the future!! And the ironing board guy was: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6196362 He's got a cool table-top kitchen too!
#108 of 114 Old 12-11-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies! I have seen that Etsy seller before I really like his Waldorf house. I also signed up for the small hands catalogue. They have some nice things.
#109 of 114 Old 12-11-2008, 10:46 PM

I am completely stumped for my four and a half year old son...I'm just not sure what to get him this year. Or my seven and a half year old...both of their play has changed drastically over the past few months and they are more interested in my real kitchen and digging outside than any toys....I am hoping for inspiration soon as Christmas is quickly approaching. :

I did get my dd Jan Brett's Beauty and the Beast, such a lovely book that leaves the Disney version very cold.

Oh, yes, I forgot, I was going to get my ds a fish.
#110 of 114 Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 PM

DDs, ages 4 and 5.75, are getting a Plan Toys dollhouse that comes w/furniture. It's not strictly Waldorfy, but then again, neither are we. The furniture is more modern-looking, as is the architecture of the house, but I love it. It's made w/sustainable rubberwood. They'll also get the dollhouse family, with one extra girl to match the size our family, the pets and accessories, and from MIL, a veggie garden that goes with the house, and little plates, etc, for the kitchen. I think we'll also get them some small dog beds for their stuffed animals, as requested by older dd. I'd love to get/make them Waldorf dolls, but I'm not sure they'd be very into them. They love stuffed animals, though!

DS, 8.75, is getting a very nice microscope. Also not typically Waldorfy, but it's what he really wants. He is our wonderful math/science/technology geek. His teachers says sometimes he's almost too intellectual, but that might just be the way he is. So we're nurturing that. He has plenty of imagination, I believe, to balance out his intellect. MIL is getting him a K'Nex roller coaster, also not classically Waldorfy, but something he'll enjoy that will hold his interest. We'll probably pick out a few more things for him that are more natural/crafty/etc.

Together, all 3 kids will get some new Stockmar crayons, and books, and stocking stuffers.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#111 of 114 Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 AM

DS is 21 months and I ordered from 3 sisters toys - he'll get ;
' wooden fruits and cheese
' wood blocks

he ll get the kinderkram bus, a kids broom and wooden puzzles from his grandparents.
#112 of 114 Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 AM

I'm giving ds 1 this http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction...on_id=12094065

Unschooling Mama to Asher (6) and Jasper (3) Crazy obsessed needle felter and maker of toys http://www.asherjasper.etsy.com
#113 of 114 Old 12-16-2008, 04:10 PM

Finally got our list together: dh is making swords and shields for all the boys and then I bought a catapult, a skittles set, a wooden boat for the tub, a book for each of the boys, a wooden knight figure for each of the boys, two pocket gnomes for each of them, animal yatzee game, and a construction set to add to their plan city set. They will also be getting hand-carved hiking sticks found at our local nature center and an audobon bird (they LOVE birds). I feel like I am missing something, but I think that is it!

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#114 of 114 Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloHoneySF View Post
I really love them. The grain of the wood is really taken into account in the cut of the blocks and they do have a really lovely smooth texture, BUT with shipping, insurance, etc. the blocks came to $70 which was kinda crazy. Since we don't have that many toys for the baby (and aren't planning on getting many) I don't regret buying them since we've been trying to focus on quality rather than quantity. If I could have found something similar in the US though, I think I may have gone that way...

HTH

Thanks for the reply -- we're still searching the US for something similar...

I'm thinking of making my own, but I'm really not sure how to finish them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page