What are YOU buying your dc for the holidays? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious what everyone is buying for their dc and their ages. My eldest(11) is easy he only asked for two things, gotta love that kid. A webkin (ugh) and a mouse!! My youngest (2) is a little harder for me. I keep thinking I have the perfect gift for him and then change my mind. I just want to get him something that will be around for years to come through many children and keep him entertained for years to come. So what are you getting your dc? Inspire me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 01:18 AM

i'm making a doll for my baby and knitting some goodies for my older DD. i like to limit it to maybe 3 presents at the most.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#3 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 AM

we are making the girls playstands and i'm knitting each a sweater, leg warmers and mittens. i'm also making them sewing kits with embroidery hoops, embroidery floss for dd1 and yarn for dd2, and burlap. dd2 is getting a waldorf doll i'm making and dd2 is getting a couple books i've held onto for her and i'll make both skirts as well to go with leg warmers and sweaters... i'm felting little things for their stockings as well as knitting head bands for them both.

we started making all our gifts last year, and this year both girls can join in, so they are making coloring books for their friends and our neighbors. we are also baking cookies to give to the neighbors...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#4 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 AM

This :

http://www.englishwillowbaskets.co.u...g/info_12.html

and a custom one of these:

http://bamboletta.com/

Can't wait for my 3.5 yr old to open them!:

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#5 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 AM

DS 6 is getting a Waldorf doll that we're making, as well as a homemade tomten toy and a felt gingerbread man (which he asked for), as well as a few winter books. He also asked for the Ostheimer Bremen town musicians...

I am making a cuddle/rag doll for the baby. :-) He may also get an iris root teether as I suspect teeth are on the way!

I should add now that I'm not at all crafty, but for some reason everything is turning out very nicely! The key for newbies is to get started early, hehe.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#6 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 AM

My 3 and 2 year old boys are getting a few of these trains to share (they each get their own engine) and an art caddy with supplies. I'm *hoping* to make them each a recycled wool felted dragon.

The baby is getting these blocks and a blanket doll.

I also have 3 out of the 4 (fire, water, and cave) of the Spiel and Holz Nesting Elements coming and was thinking about putting one in each boys stocking. I had ordered the giant rainbow for them all to share.

Obviously, I am an optimist in hoping the sharing thing goes over well :. With the oldest two so close in age and in interest, it just seemed to make sense to get them large presents together.

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#7 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 AM

I am sewing dolls for both my son and daughter, and a friend is making playstands for them as well. For my daughter (she is a year old), I want to get her a really nice, soft and cuddly organic blanket and a wooden brush for her stocking (because she loves to use my brush but it's too big for her little hands). For my son (he is 4 1/2), the Polar Express book (which is his very favorite book, year round) and a few wooden odd-and-end pieces for his kitchen (milk jugs, eggs). I am so excited for Christmas

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
#8 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 10:52 AM

Noah (7): A few wooden castle figures and probably a piece or two of a wooden castle. A Waldorf doll (better late than never?). A woodworking kit. A sewing/embroidery kit.

Lilah (4): A Waldorf baby (she has a doll with long hair, but wants a baby too). A fairy house. A couple wooden figures to use with Rowan's barn and Noah's castle. A sewing/embroidery kit.

Rowan (18 mos): Wooden barn and animals, Waldorf baby, also the large rainbow from S&H.

I need to get on it, but I'll probably also knit them all hats and mittens.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#9 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM

We are somewhat Waldorfish homeschoolers so I hope it's okay if I post.

DD's b-day is right before Christmas so we kind of combine presents. She's getting a nice watercolor paint set and paper and this cash register set.

http://www.selecta-spielzeug.de/inde...aufladen/kasse

And

http://www.selecta-spielzeug.de/inde...aden/basar_set

I ordered it from Magic Cabin and both arrived just the other day. They are awesome!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#10 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Not much! We're planning to make him a little wooden family of owls. (He loooooooooooves owls.) And maybe another few wooden figures if we get the hang of our scroll saw! His birthday is right after that, but last year we just gave him a book with animal pictures. We'll probably do that again. With birthday and Christmas so close, we will probably keep things pretty mellow again. Maybe a felt birthday cake or something simple. And we do some new things throughout the year as developmentally appropriate (and as I cull the exisitng stuff!!). We're asking realtives to keep gifts small and/or consumable (like books and/or toddler art supplies).

Santa on the other hand bought him this in orange. It's a good thing it showed up deflated in a box or we wouldn't have been able to resist giving it to him to play last night! It should be good to burn off the winter wiggles when it's too cold and snowy to go outside! He's always riding his stuffed animals around and bouncing on balls, so this should be his ideal combo. Luckilly we don't keep much furniture in the middle of the main area of the house. He has plenty of room to run and ride his trike. Bouncing will be a natural extension!!
#11 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3901sca View Post
Santa on the other hand bought him <a href="http://nicoandzoe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=439&osCsid=3 cd392726f14e7ad04c9303117063d29">this in orange</a>. It's a good thing it showed up deflated in a box or we wouldn't have been able to resist giving it to him to play last night! It should be good to burn off the winter wiggles when it's too cold and snowy to go outside! He's always riding his stuffed animals around and bouncing on balls, so this should be his ideal combo. Luckilly we don't keep much furniture in the middle of the main area of the house. He has plenty of room to run and ride his trike. Bouncing will be a natural extension!!
How funny, Santa brought those for our boys last year and they still love jumping around on them EVERY DAY~ it exhausts me just watching them! Your little DS will love it .

I love seeing how many people are making gifts this year, what lucky little kiddos !

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#12 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Each of the kiddos will be opening a new Ostheimer animal to add to our nativity (these will be in the advent calendar). And on Christmas Eve they will all open matching mama-made pjs.

DH is making a set of playstands as their combined "big" gift and they will each be getting a Klean Kanteen with mama-made carrier. DS1 and DD are getting mama-made hobby horses and mama-made quilts for their new bunk beds.

DS2 is getting a couple mama-made quiet time quilted activity books and some new playsilks.

The new baby is due a few days before Christmas (but my last 2 came past their EDDs). So based on when s/he makes his/ her appearance, I have a few pilot caps knitted up.

I also think DH is going to try to make an art caddy (like the one Magic Cabin has) from the scraps from the playstands.

We're shooting for more homemade gifts every year and focusing more on memories, traditions, and rituals than anything else.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#13 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 03:51 PM

We do christmas and hannuka. I think for hannuka she will get a set of tiny bird organics woolies and my mom is knitting her a few gnomes, Ill try to help if I can haha I want to learn to knit.

We did an ikea trip last weekend and got her a tea set, medium size metal bowl, push cart,

Dh wants to make her chairs that are small enough for her to actually use We got an end table at ikea that is short enough for her because the play table she has is too tall. We cant find wooden chairs that fit.

I might also get her some new soft stars.

O and also a wooden hair brush. She is really into brushing her hair

I hope we can keep it at that and not go overboard.....
#14 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 05:35 PM

I love to hear about all of the Mama and Papa-made presents. My mom made me a stuffed bear for Christmas when I was in first grade and I still treasure it today. Hooray for handmade! I have no idea what ds is getting, so I'm subbing to this thread for ideas.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#15 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:07 PM

dh is building the tot a dollhouse that i designed. : i'm really, REALLY excited about it! i found a great buy on a kathe kruse dollhouse family and my parents are outfitting the dollhouse with some furniture. i'm dyeing some play silks and will get her a few new books. we also have the christmas eve jammies and slippers tradition. i found the slippers here.

in the stocking will be some art supplies, handmade felt hair clips, a new brush, socks, and a few little treats.

her birthday is a week later. that's another list though...
#16 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Logan is getting this from Grandma and Grandpa
http://www.maplelandmark.net/action.....lasso&-search

A large rainbow playsilk and some knitted animals from Mom and Dad

and plastic Junk from everyone else :

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#17 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM

So inspired by all the handmade gifts!
A couple of questions: PabloHoney- did you order your trains yet? I tried ordering some a few months ago but never got any response, I also sent a follow up email and nothing...? I thought maybe they were closed? Also, which art caddy did you get?
Cagirlintexas- LOVE that train- I can't believe I didn't find it in my exhaustive searches that I did before DS's 2nd birthday in Sept. He has a Thomas track and a few wooden thomas trains and some from another small wooden train company (can't remember the name- they have the Little Engine that Could replica). Anyway, do you happen to know if the ones that you are getting are "Thomas compatible"? It looks like they don't use magnets but I was wondering if they would be the right size for the track.

I have been thinking about a lot of things but haven't yet decided so I will definitley be keeping my eye on this thread!

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#18 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 PM

I actually picked the train out because they were doing a coop through my friends coop but the funny thing is my 20 year old brother had the same train when he was a boy. If I remember correctly its a little bigger then Thomas trains but I could check for sure when it arrives in a week or so if you want. We have a thomas train and brio tracks.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#19 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM

I actually liked that they didn't use magnets cause Logan still hasn't quite gotten the hang of magnets and I though this might be easier. We will see.

}
#20 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Dh is going to make her a pirate ship and a doll cradle. I'm going to make her a doll carrier - probably a pouch.

I'm also designing a wood alphabet set for her - I'm thinking thick wood cut, unfinished. She loves letters, and I can totally see her playing with them like people
#21 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:49 PM

Grandma and Papa are getting my ds the Natural Pod chefs kitchen. It is $$ but I think it will last. It is the kitchen that is featured in Mothering this month. We are from Vancouver so I have bought things from them with great success in the past.

www.naturalpod.com is the site!

I have also ordered the felted fruit (he already has the veggies), the milk bottle and the brown eggs (this will be about it from dh and I).

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
#22 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeys_mom View Post
Grandma and Papa are getting my ds the Natural Pod chefs kitchen. It is $$ but I think it will last. It is the kitchen that is featured in Mothering this month. We are from Vancouver so I have bought things from them with great success in the past.

I have also ordered the felted fruit (he already has the veggies), the milk bottle and the brown eggs (this will be about it from dh and I).
I love that kitchen! I'm drooling over it.
#23 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeys_mom View Post

Do you have this issue of Mothering with the top toys list? If so any chance you could scan it and send it to me? We have nowhere in our city to by Mothering and I have been dying to see the toy list. ugh
#24 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM

DD#1: I'm making her a Waldorf Doll, Book (not sure what yet), Reading Pillow (thanks to DD32 - she now knows/seen this 1), mama-made slippers, New PJs (for Christmas eve), and something else.. as i had no ideas for her birthday (which is Nov 30th) so she is getting a knitting kit then (it was going ot be for Christmas - maybe i'll make her a needle roll and dye her up some more yarn, and get a nice basket to keep her knitting in)

DD#2:
Clothing for her Waldorf doll i made last year (scrubs? patient gown? matching dress w/ liz for book?), This Book and a "matching" plain red dress, I'm also sewing her a set of scrubs and getting her this Dr kit, slippers (mama made), New PJs (again, for Christmas eve)

DS:
Clothing for his Waldorf doll i made last year, this Book, I'm sewing/crocheting him a Knights outfit (chain mail cap, tunic, buying this silk sword), some new toy cars (mix of wood and metal), mama-made slippers, and again New PJs for Christmas eve

for them all together:
This tea set, new Tableware set (their old one was the Melamie ones form Target. I actually got 2 of each, so they would have enough plates/cups/etc. The "spare tea pot sugar/creamer is going ot my nephew. I got the tea set and tableware from a pre-sale). and crocheting/knitting them more playfood

They will each be getting in their stockings a knit gnome, a crayon roll, a craft (the girls are getting simple cross stitch, not sure about my youngest)candy cane, and 2 pieces of fruit (my oldest doesn't like oranges, so we pick out a fruit together she wants, usually something new or we dont buy often, but everyone else gets 1 orange and 1 other piece, usually banana).

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#25 of 114 Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigail_b View Post
So inspired by all the handmade gifts!
A couple of questions: PabloHoney- did you order your trains yet? I tried ordering some a few months ago but never got any response, I also sent a follow up email and nothing...? I thought maybe they were closed? Also, which art caddy did you get?
Hi Abby, I ordered them back in July (!). The best way to reach John is just by calling him- I get the sense he's of the generation that is a bit internet averse .

I'm getting this art caddy from Magin Cabin.

HTH

#26 of 114 Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 AM
mlh

A hand made doll for each of the girls from this etsy store and knited doll blankets made by me. Santa will be bringing this fairy house for them.

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#27 of 114 Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 AM

I am making my older daughter a play kitchen with my dad and bought some wooden tableware and cookware to go with it.

I am not sure about my younger daughter yet.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
#28 of 114 Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 AM

I'm enjoying this thread! What great ideas! I think I will already borrow a few. Especially the knitted doll blanket for Dd!

They're each getting a couple of books, some wooden animals, an outfit (I'm a children's clothing junkie, they humor me as long as I keep it to one clothing gift per occasion ), doll clothing. That's where my brainstorming has ended. I generally do one santa gift for each and perhaps something bigger that they can share (read: can't fight over b/c it was given to BOTH of them! Last year it was a set of wooden unit blocks. Worked like a charm!).

There's a doll I would really love to get for Dd, but I'm on the fence b/c, frankly, she has several and it's pricey enough she may not get much else and then there's the whole issue of them feeling like they got to open a relatively similiar # of gifts. I'm a doll junkie, too. See a pattern here? Those Dragonflyhollow dolls are just beautiful! I hesitate to do a custom as when I did that in the past, I wasn't super pleased with the result (a different seller) but then I felt obligated to buy it. So I would rather buy one I can see IRL and fall in love with.

Ds would love some more legos, so we'll see. There's also a couple of unique things he's picked out at a Waldorf store and when someone (ahem. Dh) let him look at a Back to Basics Toy Catalog. It's tough for him, his birthday *just* passed so it is not like we've had a length of time for him to change interests, needs or desires between his b-day and Christmas. His birthday was really quite fantastic in terms of not overloading him with tons of stuff, but the things he did get were very much-wanted and between us and the grandparents, there's not all that much left that I *know* he wants (or we want for him). Dd's wasn't all that long ago, either!

I would like to knit them each a 12"-ish gnome, and I think they'd enjoy that. But I have a bunch of other projects on my plate at the moment and I want to enjoy knitting fo them, not stress about it at the 11th hour.

Dd lovingly fondles a tea set at a favorite store of ours. I would love to get it for her, but it's breakable and we have a hard tile floor where their kitchen is set up. I would be so sad to see something she loved so much break, mostly likely so quickly. As well I wouldn't want to get her something and then stress us both out with 'rules' like you can only play with it such&such place. I'm sort of stumped on this one.

HOPEFULLY, I'll get that rainbow playsilk made this year!

Now that I've been sufficiently talked out of the idea of getting them a pet mouse, I would LOVE to get them a dog. But I don't think that will happen by Christmas. Ds is completely ready, I think Dd will be fine, now, too; but I want to make sure we've got plenty of $$ reserves in the "pet" fund. Vets are pricey! I can't tell you how many Christmases I dreamed of the classic 'puppy under the tree' scenario as a child. I would love to make that happen for my media-free kids who probably haven't even dreamed of it, and certainly haven't seen it depicted 100 times on TV.
#29 of 114 Old 11-12-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cera View Post
Do you have this issue of Mothering with the top toys list? If so any chance you could scan it and send it to me? We have nowhere in our city to by Mothering and I have been dying to see the toy list. ugh
If you scroll down this great blog, it's mentioned here so it might give you quite a few clues if you can't get hold of it!

A UK Waldorf blogging mama!
#30 of 114 Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
If you scroll down this great blog, it's mentioned here so it might give you quite a few clues if you can't get hold of it!
What blog?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page