St. Nicholas Day - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2008, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate St Nicholas Day w/out actually "doing" St Nick?? What I mean is, like for Santa, Santa doesn't bring gifts to our house. We talk about the history of Santa and who he was and all, but my kids know that present day Santa is pretend. How can I do the same for St Nick, but still observe the tradition of the activity?? Ideas?? Maybe explain that why put out the shoes and all but that mama and daddy fill them w/ the gifts?? Hmm....
I think that's a good idea and basically what we'd do, I'd say.

We don't perpetuate the myth either that Santa/St. Nick comes bringing gifts. Our stockings are filled on St. Nicholas Day but we keep it very clear that it's Mom and Dad. It's about honoring the legacy of the generous saint. At first I was thinking of avoiding all mention of Santa, but now I think we'll talk about the modern day myth and how it developed from St. Nicholas and that it is some people's way of celebrating. I'm sure we'll read Christmas books that do involve Santa but just keep it clear that it's a made up story, just like many of the other books we read. Our kids are too young at this point to understand all of this, but we'll just keep talking about it year-by-year and they'll get it.

Does that help? Or even make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynsMomma View Post
I would LOVE to hear how you are celebrating the 12 days of xmas! I was thinking of doing this for our family as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.QsMama View Post
i've always wanted to celebrate the twelve days of christmas! we never followed the church calendar growing up. i'm not catholic, but it's very important to me to connect with the history of my faith and to have it be an integral part of dd's church experience. i have very little idea what it looks like though! could you please share how you celebrate?
Well, I'm not 100% sure exactly what we'll be doing. The thing for us is that Christmas STARTS on December 25 not ENDS like it does for many people-- or at least the retailers! Since Advent is a season of preparation, prayer, and penance we don't do much partying (St. Nicholas Day being an exception, but still low-key). Sooo...I'm thinking the 12 Days will be lots of family visits, special food, crafts, and activities (like going to Lights on the Lake). My DH should have most of that time off from work, so we can squeeze lots in (weather permitting!). My idea is to do something each day whether it's a craft, a trip, making a new treat, etc. I think some traditions involve a gift on each day, but we won't be doing that. We are going to give three small gifts on Epiphany to represent the three gifts of the Magi (gold, frankincense, and myrrh). Gold is something handmade (no idea WHAT yet!), frankincense is something religious in nature, and myrrh is for the body.

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
btw--zuzu: which snowbelt of NY are you located in?
We live near Oswego.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu822 View Post
I think that's a good idea and basically what we'd do, I'd say.

We don't perpetuate the myth either that Santa/St. Nick comes bringing gifts. Our stockings are filled on St. Nicholas Day but we keep it very clear that it's Mom and Dad. It's about honoring the legacy of the generous saint. At first I was thinking of avoiding all mention of Santa, but now I think we'll talk about the modern day myth and how it developed from St. Nicholas and that it is some people's way of celebrating. I'm sure we'll read Christmas books that do involve Santa but just keep it clear that it's a made up story, just like many of the other books we read. Our kids are too young at this point to understand all of this, but we'll just keep talking about it year-by-year and they'll get it.

Does that help? Or even make sense?

Well, I'm not 100% sure exactly what we'll be doing. The thing for us is that Christmas STARTS on December 25 not ENDS like it does for many people-- or at least the retailers! Since Advent is a season of preparation, prayer, and penance we don't do much partying (St. Nicholas Day being an exception, but still low-key). Sooo...I'm thinking the 12 Days will be lots of family visits, special food, crafts, and activities (like going to Lights on the Lake). My DH should have most of that time off from work, so we can squeeze lots in (weather permitting!). My idea is to do something each day whether it's a craft, a trip, making a new treat, etc. I think some traditions involve a gift on each day, but we won't be doing that. We are going to give three small gifts on Epiphany to represent the three gifts of the Magi (gold, frankincense, and myrrh). Gold is something handmade (no idea WHAT yet!), frankincense is something religious in nature, and myrrh is for the body.

oooooooo....this sounds great! i love the idea of doing something special on each of the 12 days...not just a gift. And then you do a representation of the 3 gifts? so, gold could be a handmade doll, frankincense could be a rosary and lotion could be myrrh for example????
Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
We live near Oswego.
ahhh...you do get alot of snow up there! i had a friend in college that lived in Hannibal...which wasnt far from oswego either. its pretty up there!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
oooooooo....this sounds great! i love the idea of doing something special on each of the 12 days...not just a gift. And then you do a representation of the 3 gifts? so, gold could be a handmade doll, frankincense could be a rosary and lotion could be myrrh for example????
You got it! I have NO idea what to do for the handmade gift as I am craft-impaired. I'm going to get out my copy of The Children's Year and look for something simple!

Quote:
ahhh...you do get alot of snow up there! i had a friend in college that lived in Hannibal...which wasnt far from oswego either. its pretty up there!
It is! I lived in Rochester and Buffalo when I was in college and grad school. Are you in either of those areas?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 PM

I'm 20 minutes from Rochester in a little town called Newark. I've lived in the Finger Lakes region of NY all my life - it's truely lovely here!!

Now to catch up with the rest of the thread! LOL

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
Old 11-15-2008, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

ahh my NY girls!!!
I wish I was back home in NY I miss it I grew up in Syracuse. Went to Oswego all the time. One of my close friends lived there. Going up for the holidays though

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 PM

i got dd2's little gift for st. nick done tonight...my first wee folk! i'll take pics tomorrow, but i'm pretty happy with it for it being my first one. i decided to do wee folk for each of the girls along with a couple pieces of chocolate and an orange each. i think the magic is more in the ritual than the actual gifts so they should be stoked..

i love making the wee folk so much i might just have to decorate my house with them..

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

oh I can't wait to see cat!

Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
It is! I lived in Rochester and Buffalo when I was in college and grad school. Are you in either of those areas?
Actually, I am right in the middle of both of these. Just south of Batavia, between Rochester and Buffalo. Where did you go to college? Sorry to interrupt the thread!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
ahh my NY girls!!!
I wish I was back home in NY I miss it I grew up in Syracuse. Went to Oswego all the time. One of my close friends lived there. Going up for the holidays though
too funny all these upstate NY waldorfy mamas! who woulda thought?!:
Old 11-16-2008, 01:17 AM

can anyone suggest books i can get from my library (if they ahve them) to read about St Nicholas. I've always wanted to do this tradition, but with having older kids (oldest turns 10 Nov 30th) unfamiliar with it, i wanted to read them some stories, etc before hand.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I know - My goodness!

Old 11-16-2008, 01:45 AM

okay..here is my first wee folk. go easy, i didn't have a tutorial or pattern! we decided to leave her faceless so dd can use her own imagination on her expressions. although i'm wondering if i should add eyes or not...dh says no. opinions?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/...f31815e1f2.jpg

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
Old 11-16-2008, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

omg cat she's perfect!! i love it! don't add eyes for sure. none of ours have eyes. I think it would ruin the perfectness and sweetness thisdoll allready has

Old 11-16-2008, 01:54 AM

Kris: I was just going to take a list of these books to my library to see if they have them/they can get them.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catballou24 View Post
okay..here is my first wee folk. go easy, i didn't have a tutorial or pattern! we decided to leave her faceless so dd can use her own imagination on her expressions. although i'm wondering if i should add eyes or not...dh says no. opinions?

wow! the embroidery is gorgeous! great job mama!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Kris: I was just going to take a list of these books to my library to see if they have them/they can get them.
I must have missed those links - thanks!

Quote:

WOW - i love this! I havent even figured out where to find heads to try these yet - i keep getting the book from my library and taking it back! I love the work

Old 11-16-2008, 02:39 AM

[QUOTE=KJoslyn78;12619407I havent even figured out where to find heads to try these yet[/QUOTE]

check at joann's. they have lots of little wooden things that i have used to make figures with.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
check at joann's. they have lots of little wooden things that i have used to make figures with.
Alas, the nearest Joann's is over 30 minute drive away - and i dont drive. I have too many projects now to look, maybe after the holidays!

So i placed these books on hold with my library (i love the whole signing in and requesting books online!). I hope these are good!

Santa who? by: Gibbons, Gail.

St. Nicholas : a closer look at Christmas by: Wheeler, Joe L., 1936-

A Christmas treasury : very merry stories and poems by: Hawkes, Kevin,

The real Santa Claus by: Mayer, Marianna.

The story of Saint Nicholas by: Luckhardt, Mildred Madeleine Corell, 1898-

Old 11-16-2008, 05:12 AM

up excrutiatingly late for me, but i'm addicted to these and had to finish dd1's tonight. she kept running in (refusing to stay in bed), so i had to keep shoving it in a bag here so she couldn't see what i was doing.. anyway, here is wee folk #2 and then i promise i won't hijack the thread anymore!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/...c07555513b.jpg

Old 11-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Oh Cat that's lovely! And if that is what you are hijacking with - i dont mind - LOL

Old 11-16-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Those are amazing! Definitely don't need eyes. I think I've found my handmade gift for Epiphany. I would definitely need a pattern. Where should I start exporing? Isn't there a book on wee felt folk?

Quote:
I know! I just wish were a tad closer together for meets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
So i placed these books on hold with my library (i love the whole signing in and requesting books online!). I hope these are good!

Santa who? by: Gibbons, Gail.

St. Nicholas : a closer look at Christmas by: Wheeler, Joe L., 1936-

A Christmas treasury : very merry stories and poems by: Hawkes, Kevin,

The real Santa Claus by: Mayer, Marianna.

The story of Saint Nicholas by: Luckhardt, Mildred Madeleine Corell, 1898-
Check on Demi's book on St. Nicholas...the illustrations are incredible! It's wordy and may be above your kids (can't remember their ages), but the pictures along are more than worth it! All her books are outstanding, actually. Jesus and Mary are also two of my favorites!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Those are amazing! Definitely don't need eyes. I think I've found my handmade gift for Epiphany. I would definitely need a pattern. Where should I start exporing? Isn't there a book on wee felt folk?

I know! I just wish were a tad closer together for meets!

Check on Demi's book on St. Nicholas...the illustrations are incredible! It's wordy and may be above your kids (can't remember their ages), but the pictures along are more than worth it! All her books are outstanding, actually. Jesus and Mary are also two of my favorites!
Yes - the book is called "Wee Felt Folk" - i love the work in there!

I know - well - you're only about a hour away - that isnt too far! though this time of year 1 mile can be long - LOL

I"ll have to see if our library system carries that (we're connected 4 counties wide, Ontario, Wayne, Livingston, and Wyoming (i think, i know the last 1 starts with a W!). My oldest will be 10 end of this month, and my youngest is 2, so maybe it might be a bit nice for both (picture for the littles, info for the older)

User Tag List