transition from montessori to PYP IB - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Montessori elementary is not an option in my community so we are looking at PYP IB school , after 2 years in a montessori program. I am looking for info on
1: how similar /dissimilar do you feel these programs are

2: Anything in particular that would make the transition easier? Also going from half day to full day this year. I am most worried about math. I have a child that really loves math and I love the hands on physicalness of math in montessori, worried about how math will be approached.
#2 of 3 Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 AM

Hi babymommy2!

Came upon your (old) post in a web search as we are facing the same question: transition from Montessori to IB PYP. Given that a couple of years have passed, what has been your experience?

Grateful for your insights!

Thanks and best regards,

Martin (Hong Kong)

#3 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

we moved to a new community where IB is not an option until high school, so in the end we are at a public school. Now  a few years in I can see that each year there is a bit of a different focus on method, based on the teacher. for example in g rade 1 the teacher is very into hands on science, so it was great! The class was full of animals all the time. Science incorporated into everything. Other teachers have been good too, but in different ways. The other thing I have learned is that IB probably was not the way to go anyways. I can see now that my oldest is not as self directed as I may have imagined he would be when he was 4. He would thrive in self direction with anything to do with science, but reading and writing, he dislikes! At school he writes the bare minimum he can get away. The only part of school we are really unhappy with is math, and it is not his teacher or school, but the whole western canadian cirriculum, and from what I hear eastern canada is not better. There is quite a movement against it developing. We supplement math at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page