other alternative schools? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-11-2001, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of any quality alternative schools besides Montessori and Waldorf? My step-daughter goes to Montessori school and she seems to like it. They have pizza day twice a week and I don't want my dd regularly influenced by all her peers eating junk food at such a young age, though. I think children get enough unhealthy food w/out having to be fed it at school twice a week. I see my step-daughter's lunch sometimes and it's pure junk (her mom is not very health conscious). Also, the teachers don't seem to be very friendly or happy (I know this is not the case in all Montessori schools). I haven't really looked into the Waldorf school yet, but I've been reading some negative perceptions about it here. I intend to read about it and visit it so I can form my own opinion but in the meantime I'm curious if anyone knows of any other impressive alternative schools.
thanks
#2 of 9 Old 12-14-2001, 07:37 PM

Well, I'm sure there are a number of alternative approaches, though M & W are the two that seem to get the most "press." One I can think of off the top of my head is, I think, called "Democratic Schools," though I'm not positive that's what it's called. Anyway, I remember a short article about these schools in Mothering not long ago, so you might want to try a search on the main site.

Best wishes,
Sierra

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#3 of 9 Old 12-15-2001, 10:54 AM
Deb

Here's a link to an article here at Mothering.com about the democratic schools (http://www.mothering.com/14-0-0/html...hools103.shtml). Great article and there's a link there to take you to Sudbury Valley School in Massachusetts. From that site, you can search to see if there are any schools in your area (if you're interested).

I'm interested in unschooling and the democratic school is sort of like unschooling, but in school. I'm lucky enough to be only 30 miles from a new democratic school (opening in fall 2002). I'm considering getting my 5yo son involved in the school, but haven't made a decision yet.
#4 of 9 Old 12-17-2001, 11:18 AM

Good answers everyone. You might consider following this site to look at some online chapters, and feel free to PM me any time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonqueen

I don't want my dd regulaly influenced by all her peers eating junk food w/out having to be fed it at school twice a week.

thanks
This is the only worry I have that this is not the type of schooling you want. At the end of the day, children will find ways of eating what they want. The best you can do is pack a good lunch, and educate her as to why xyz is not good for her, with out giving her a guilt complex. Tough one eh!

JD achieved this with dd in respect to candy and gum. She is very good.

Hope this helps

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#5 of 9 Old 01-11-2002, 04:53 AM

I am working with a group of parents interested in creating a Sudbury Model School in the South Bay area. I am sending this information to you because I want you to have the opportunity to get involved if you feel it's the kind of school you wish to have your family be a part of. We just established a discussion board and hope you will check in. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sbfreekids2004
If you are new to the Sudbury concept, but are curious, check out
http://sudval.org
Please feel free to pass on our info to anyone you know that may be interested in exploring alternative education opportunities in our community.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Michelle
#6 of 9 Old 01-11-2002, 04:59 AM

Wow! Where in the Bay area?

This is like a dream come true for me, except that I still can't seem to find a way to get a visa to the US>

How many have you got together so far?

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#7 of 9 Old 01-26-2002, 12:54 PM

I'm confused: does "Bay area" mean in Boston, or in SF???? Signed, Geographically Challenged Calgal
#8 of 9 Old 01-26-2002, 01:17 PM

CalGal,
We are in Southern California's South Bay Area. Sorry!
#9 of 9 Old 01-28-2002, 11:03 PM

Hello. For the poster who wanted information on other alternative schools besides Waldorf and Montessori, you can check out this website:

http://www.livingwisdom.org

This website lists various "Living Wisdom Schools", and they have a boarding high school as well.

These schools focus on teaching kids values through experiential learning.

There is also lots of free information on this site, including two online books "Sharing Values with Children" and "Education for Life".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page