Middle School angst - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-24-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a lovely 11 year old daughter who has thrived in Montessori schools since she was two and a half. I taught in a Montessori school before she was born, we have always reinforced Montessori ideals at home...if there was a Montessori poster family, we'd probably be at least in the running.

And now yesterday, I received news that the middle school program in my daughter's beloved school will close next year, due to lack of children. I understand. Really. You can't run an entire middle school with just a couple of kids.

So now she has one year left in the upper elementary, before we have to make a huge decision. Do we go public, which scares the heck out of me? The public middle school near us is supposedly quite good, is smaller than most, and has mixed age grouping which she is used to, but as Seattle schools have open enrollment, there's no guarantee she would even get to go there.

I've thought about Sudbury. There's a school fairly near us, and I will defnitely tour. It seems similar in its respect for child led learning, but perhaps its a little too freedom oriented. They allow the kids to play video games all day, even the ones rated M. That really bothers me.

Or, of course, I could just home school her, and keep the Montessori mode. However, I am a doula and massage therapist, so my schedule can be very erratic at times, and I'm not sure it would be great for our relationship either.

I know I don't have to decide right now, and I am very aware that I am mourning not only the loss of this school, but probably the loss of our Montessori identity. It is such a big part of who we are as a family. I just can't believe its going to be gone.

::SNIFF:: I'll be better tomorrow I know...

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-24-2006, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Janey I just want to make sure you are welcomed and that your post is noticed, even though I don't know how to answer your questions. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. The Sudbury folks should peek around soon. Feel free to keep bumping the post!

#3 of 5 Old 03-24-2006, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Lauren!
#4 of 5 Old 03-25-2006, 01:03 AM

I'm so sorry about your daughter's school closing. I can only imagine how I would feel if that happened to us.

I am one of the Sudbury folks - my daughter attends the original school in MA. She is 9 years old.

I personally love the school, but I think it requires quite a leap of faith to embrace the concept. You have to believe that your child will seek the learning that she needs with no prompting.

I think one of the best places to explore the concept is in the unschooling threads in the homeschool forum. Good luck with your research, and let me know if I can answer any specific questions about Sudbury schools.
#5 of 5 Old 03-25-2006, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Pam. I'll do that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page