free schools in vermont - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-31-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just to let people know there is a group of people in the hardwick area that is starting a free school in a couple months. it will be called the Hardwick Free School. contact Kenneth Winchenbach Walden at kenhww@meadowdance.org for information.
i think it's pretty exciting, my family is thinking of relocating there from burlington for our childs education...but that's a little while away.
#2 of 5 Old 09-04-2006, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
That's very interesting..keep us posted. You may also want to cross post this in the VT/NH/Maine tribe in FYT!

#3 of 5 Old 09-10-2006, 06:38 PM

I've been in Burlington for over a year now, and the more I get to know the place, the more shocked I am that there is not a thriving free school in the area. It seems a perfect match. You're thinking of moving so you can be close it one? Wow.

I'm a former teacher who left teaching because I felt like a hypocrit as I insisted that students follow the required curriculum. Yuck! I've fantisized about starting a free school myself, even thought about going to a conferance once on the topic. But the cold reality of no buildings, no money and no kids always kept me from taking the first step.

Maybe its time that Burlington residents started to talk about it. Maybe between all of the individuals sitting alone thinking it's too hard, we actually do have the resorces to put something together.

Any thoughts?
#4 of 5 Old 11-27-2006, 06:15 PM

I taught at a reggio preschool for five years in Burlington. I long to have an alternative to the public school system in this area.

My questions are what is a free school?

And would you have to have to have money to go there?
#5 of 5 Old 11-28-2006, 09:20 AM

I live right near Hardwick and am considering sending my kids to the Hardwick Free School. I'm planning to go visit it and find out more.

Funny thing, I just popped over to this forum because we just picked up the brochure on it at the Greensboro Free Library and my daughter read it and got all excited and has been begging me to send her there. Thought I'd see what free-schooling families thought of their choice, what other free schools were like, etc. Never dreamed I'd stumble upon a thread about the school in tiny little Hardwick! We do have a bunch of free thinkers in thie area thought.

Tuition would be an issue right now, plus there are some things I do like about their current (public) school. Mainly dd's teacher, who she will not have after this year, is fantastic - they do lots of project-based, experiential learning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page