Wildcat Free School in Richmond, Ca - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to check out this school, but the website isn't ready yet. Anyone know anything about it?
We are Berkeley bicyclists, so at the moment I'm specifically interested in BART or bus access... but I'd also like to know how long it's been there, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 09:47 PM

I do! I can't believe I just saw this in new posts

Are you familiar with the area? It is located right across from Alvarado park, at the end of the arlington. Not very close to BART but I'm pretty sure a bus goes by there.

Do you have any specific questions? I'll tell you a bit - This is the 3rd year. It is ungraded, mixed age, several families there have multiple kids enrolled. I think there are somewhere between 16-20 kids enrolled, although not everyone comes full time. No homework, or testing, or grades - my favorite part

We were only there the 1st year and I know they've changed the way they do things somewhat since then - it is still very child led but there is more structure - you'd have to talk to the teacher to get details.

There are wonderful families involved - it definitely isn't for everyone but I loved it - we had to stop sending my son there for a few different reasons but he recently spent some time there during the summer program and it was so great. I hope one of my other kids can attend someday.

Give them a call - they're really nice and you can make an appt to go and check it out. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! we're gonna check it out some more...
Old 11-22-2006, 07:39 PM

beth, i have heard some negative things about the school in regards to behavioral issues..lack of discipline...nothing too specific, but maybe something to ask about/look out for if you visit. you could also ask on berkeley parents network.

User Tag List