Enki Lovers Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 12-28-2006, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have experience with or are interested in Enki Education, here's a place to chat about Enki!

www.enkieducation.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 12-28-2006, 01:54 AM

I'm part of an Enki yahoo group, but mostly I just read about it since DS is only 13 months. Ive been studying Waldorf, Enki, Montessori, and Charlotte Mason, and look forward to studying more and testing out different things with DS to find out what resonates best with him.
#3 of 31 Old 12-28-2006, 02:28 AM

I got all my materials for Kinder before Thanksgiving and plan on starting totally after the first of the year. I'm very excited! We've done a couple stories and ds#1 responded so well to them. More later but baby is squirming.

ETA: Didn't realize this wasn't in the hs'ing forum. Oops!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#4 of 31 Old 12-28-2006, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Enki can be in a building or in a home! I don't think you're off topic!
#5 of 31 Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 PM

I have the Enki kindy curriculum and am reading thru the mounds of information. I would love to see this thread grow in support of those of us using the curriculum! I am on the yahoo loop but sometimes all those e-mails get overwhelming and I just delete... I am just getting started in this edeavor.

We've attended a parent/tot waldorf program for a couple years now and plan on utilizing the school's homeschooling enrichment programs to complement our Enki homeschooling.

Right now I am overwhelmed just READING everything... the idea of actually DOING it.. yikes. But my boys are 4.5 and 2.5 so I am going slow.

I have a group of "waldorf" moms that I am going to show the guides to and maybe a co-op will spring from that.
#6 of 31 Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 PM

Hi
We just finished the first half of our first grade curriculum and love it. We also had the materials for kindy, but it was much more unstructured--and I have to say that I really didn't grasp all of it until we were doing it all for a month or so (and still learning).
For first grade I pretty much went with Beth's suggestions for the year/block/week/day and it's been great. My dd has loved everything. I also have a nearly 4 year old who tags along, and it's been good for him as well.
I also have a group of "waldorfy" families that we hang out with----so much more similar than other paths.
I love to hear what others are up to---and I'm so happy that more and more people are learning about Enki.
#7 of 31 Old 12-28-2006, 05:31 PM

...also if you're curious about Enki education and don't see all the answers to your questions on the general Enki site posted up top, here's a yahoo group open to all interested:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EnkiExperience/
#8 of 31 Old 12-29-2006, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link melamama, I'm on the yahoo group, too. I do love the simplicity of the mothering forum and the community. So glad to see everyone here. Thanks for introducing yourselves.

Hang in there with the reading and just take a couple or a few simple things at a time to incorporate into your day with children.

Wouldn't it be great to have a great big Enki gathering and learn with one another in real life?!
#9 of 31 Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 PM

browneyedsol - are you using Enki at home too? I've heard that Beth might do a 2007 Enki conference ... I would love to pack the family up for something like that.

#10 of 31 Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedsol View Post
Wouldn't it be great to have a great big Enki gathering and learn with one another in real life?!
I'm looking forward to whatever happens conference-wise in 07.

...but I would love to hear about Enki schools (I love hsing, but it would be so great to be near an Enki community irl)
#11 of 31 Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 PM

Hey, Brown-eyed, thanks for starting this thread! :
#12 of 31 Old 12-31-2006, 04:22 AM

I'm interested in this as well. DD is only 3 and DS 19 months, but the thought of h'schooling vs sending to school has been on my mind for some time (like most of us). I just learned of Waldorf and Enki tonight!!! I thought a Woldorf school would be fabulous for dd (she is very hands on learner) and there is one where we may move. BUT after reading some threads I am wondering if I really could do this at home. I don't think I believe in myself, which is weird b/c I know I can rock at anything, so what's the hang up? I dunno. Anyways, I'd love to learn more about Enki and how you apply it in your daily lives.

January
#13 of 31 Old 12-31-2006, 05:23 PM

Just wanted to say hello and sub to the new thread

We are doing enki kindy with 5 1/2 yo Finn in Maine and are really loving it. Such a light touch in kindergarten and lots of time to delve into rhythm and discipline issues (oh, boy!).

I'm hoping to make it to the 2007 conference since we are so close (assuming it's in NH).

Best to everyone
Angie

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
#14 of 31 Old 01-01-2007, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Happy New Year All!

My kiddos have been in Waldorf, but hsing may happen as soon as next week. If not next week, we'll begin some Enki this summer. My grade four student is needing so much one on one right now. It's a difficult decision for me presently. He's been in Waldorf since he was 3. I'm processing the plans. We have used Enki guides at home previously. I'm a single mum, with a lot of job skills (teaching being one) but no "real" job at the moment. I'm doing a few odds and ends to get by. My children and I moved to Canada this fall, but a work permit failed to process in a timely manner so we returned home to the midwest. We've had to do some serious re-organizing this year with all the shuffle. It's been adventurous!

I had not heard of a 2007 Enki conference. That's exciting!

mimiharshe, ofcourse you can do it! It is a huge responsibility to homeschool, but I guess that's why there are...guides! Hurray!
#15 of 31 Old 01-13-2007, 02:21 AM

browneyedsol - Saw your post in MN/WI tribe. Where are you?? I'd love to check out the Enki guides **in person**.

Anyways - I have a 4 year old daughter who is/will be (whatever...) homeschooled. I think we'd have a great time with Enki, but I have a hard time knowing what it is really all about... kwim??
#16 of 31 Old 01-14-2007, 06:20 PM

Just wanted to post here that the Enki conference is set and people are starting to register. I'm hoping to go and get my registration in soon.

There are two events, a workshop on rousing intuition (which sounds awesome, but occurs on ds's bday) from June 13th through the 15th and the regular homeschool conference from June 17th through the 22nd.

Anyone from Mothering planning to go?

#17 of 31 Old 01-14-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for spreading the word.

I would certainly love to go. If it's possible I will. Off to check the official site for details...
#18 of 31 Old 01-14-2007, 07:43 PM

I would love to go but its totally cost prohibitive. Its $500 per participant (so that is $1,000 for both DH and I) for the main conference, plus childcare ($200 PER child), housing and then to actually drive there. Not even counting driving (1,500 miles) there it would cost us over $2,000 for both workshops.

I'm not saying its not worth it but its just soooo pricey. :
#19 of 31 Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Just wanted to say hello. We started with the kinder curriculum in September and switched over to first grade the beginning of this year. DD#1 loves first grade so far. She was in waldorf kinder last year. We're planning to go to the conference (I think... it is quite expensive especially with airfare and all). Anyone else going?
#20 of 31 Old 01-20-2007, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Last I checked the site, I didn't see any registration info. I won't likely be able to afford to go, but I'd really love to! When is it? Do you have a link?
#21 of 31 Old 05-05-2007, 12:40 AM

As I'm learning and reading more, I just wanted to bump this back up.
#22 of 31 Old 05-06-2007, 11:10 PM

Hey Mamas,

We will most likely be getting the early childhood program for starting kindergarden hs this fall. I am reading the first book and am really think it will be a good fit for our family. Has anyone done anything with other Enki families in their areas?
#23 of 31 Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 PM

Any updates from those of you who've been using the curriculum for a little while now? How goes your schooling?
#24 of 31 Old 05-13-2007, 04:00 AM

I recently ordered and just watched the Enki DVD "Developmental Immersion-Mastery: The Enki Approach." (FYI- I actually ordered the package with the extra literature, but I discovered it's pretty much the same articles as on the website.)

It is a very interesting DVD that gave me a bit more insight into a day at an Enki school. (How I wish we had such a school near us!) I'd like to show it to dh, but I'm not sure if he'd watch the whole thing.

Anyhow, it has inspired me to order at the Foundation and Early Childhood Guides in the next couple of months. I'd like to take my time to look over these materials since dd wouldn't be ready for K until next year.

I'm finding that the more I look at Enki, the more I'm really seeing how it would work for us. While I had been thinking of a blend of Enki with OM, I could also see us just going completely with Enki.

How goes it with your schooling?
#25 of 31 Old 05-13-2007, 12:45 PM

My dh just watched that dvd the other night. I had seen most of it already, but sat and watched with him. It is a cool glimpse, though knowing me (and dh) we still would homeschool even if one were down the street. It would be nice, though, to have the access to a community like that though.

As I've mentioned in other threads, we are blending Enki with Oak Meadow and I love it. Betweenb the two I feel I am getting the best of the holistic world. I am awaiting my 1st grade Enki materials - I received the DVDs and CDs the other day and want to start watching them (there are three instructional DVDs for the parents!). I already have the OM 1st grade package.

For this year (kinder), we will continue through the summer with our rhythm - we'll probably stick with circle time, lots of reading (I wanted to read through the OM stories as a few more Enki fairy tales and folk tales), and some crafts. We haven't done much of the crafts from Enki (or OM) this year as by the afternoon I'm usually exhausted and we (dh and I) have yet to really work a good evening routine/rhythm once he gets home. But, this summer he'll be off work (he teaches), so I'm hoping to introduce ds#1 to knot-tying, finger knitting, and a few other fine-motor skill-based crafts to prepare him for more writing/drawing in 1st grade.

And ... HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

#26 of 31 Old 05-15-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post

How goes it with your schooling?
\\

I'm about to be called away, but we're at the end of our first year and I still feel like I have so much work to do on finding a good rhythm for our family. Of course, things are much better than they were at the beginning of the year, but still I really struggle with leading them gently (either vacillate btw not leading or strong-arming). I'm willing to do the work, but I find that I spend much more energy thinking about hsing than most of the hsers that I know (mostly unschoolers). I like feeling kindergarten as a transition year to the grades (and we're doing 1 1/2 years of kindy at least), a chance to find our rhythm, really absorb boundaries as the river is wet, and let my oldest really sink into play (that part is working great). I tend to get caught up in wanting to use content, content, content and wanting to bring all these wonderful songs and movements to my family and getting resistance.

It's such a process, but I really feel like I have a better roadmap for our family

Angie

#27 of 31 Old 05-18-2007, 03:46 AM

I'm thinking this weekend I might (finally ) sit dh down to discuss my ideas for using OM pre-K with dd in the fall. I'm also going to see if he'll watch the Enki dvd with me.

In the intro package, I received an article called "Enki Homeschool." I don't remember seeing this on the website or in the Yahoo group files. It's just so inspirational to me that I'm starting to lean more toward Enki for K and up. As I learn more about developmental immersion mastery, I find Enki more appealing. I'm making plans to purchase the foundation guides so I can look through them over the next year. Then I could purchase the K package in the following year (as dd approaches K).

MyLittleWonders (and anyone else who cares to answer ), you say that you feel that blending OM and Enki is giving you a holistic curriculum. I'm just curious as to what aspects of the two that you prefer and are less favorable to you -- that is, what is it you draw from each to create your curriculum. While OM has a structure, I like the depth and breadth of Enki because I feel we could find our own suitable daily rhythm. I'm also finding OM to really be waldorf lite to me; the good gems of Waldorf without much of the Anthrosophy included. Enki, instead, feels like it's the next evolution of Waldorf.
#28 of 31 Old 05-26-2007, 06:02 AM

#29 of 31 Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM

This thread may be dead but subbing myself in case it picks up again.

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#30 of 31 Old 07-23-2007, 11:36 AM

The Enki thread under Homeschooling is much more active

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page