Reggio Emilia Grads - Transition to ??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-28-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving and I've located a RE school that goes up through 5th grade. Currently my ds is in K and my dd will be starting preschool next year. My DH is concerned that if our kids do well and like RE that they will both have a difficult time transitiong to a different school after 5th grade. His philosophy is to start 'em where we think they'll finish. I don't agree with this, but felt that I should at least test the waters to find out if there is difficulty in transitioning and what the problems (if any) seem to center around. At least that way we'll be prepared if we go ahead with RE.

Any thoughts? TIA!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Okay no responses so I can assume two things: There are no transition issues whatsoever from RE to a different type of school or no one has had to face this with an older student.

Sorry to beg the question again, but if anyone has any type of input I would really appreciate it.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#3 of 5 Old 03-02-2007, 09:00 PM

Hey, I didn't want to just leave you hanging out here! There are so few RE schools at the elementary grade levels that there's probably not much experience out there.

I think as long as kids have positive early education experiences, and have the necessary academic skills, then they can transition to any educational format. That school is a public charter, which means they still have to follow the state curriculum guidelines...so it shouldn't be a problem switching academically. I think the most important thing will be finding a positive emotional and social middle school environment, rather than looking for a particular style. If I ever homeschool, it will probably be in the middle school years!

John Dewey, an educational pioneer, believed that education is a lifelong process, and should be based on on what a child needs right now, not just to "prepare" him for the next step. I have been trying to keep that in mind while looking at preschool options for ds1.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#4 of 5 Old 03-02-2007, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, honeybee! I'm sure that's the case that there are few in this situation! I was just feeling so.......lonely

I'm scheduled for a tour at ACDC on the 13th. The principal responded to my email directly - which I thought was very nice.

Please let me know if you get back there again -- I'd love to hear more of your insights.

#5 of 5 Old 03-03-2007, 05:11 PM

I will. We've had colds, and I got slammed with some work, so I haven't been able to set up an observation time, yet.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page